• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Now what? After a big scare?

Stupid big mistakes-- and now she doesn't want to get on again,

Last week we spent seven days riding rural country roads through small country towns and tiny communities in Wisconsin. It was very enjoyable and so easy. Then, it was a shock to re-enter the urban mayhem via I94 into Chicago on a Monday afternoon.

Typically, I avoid slab riding, especially with my spouse on board, as I get the tell tale clenched knees grabbing my hips every few seconds when she is the pillion on those roads. So why didn’t I avoid the interstate this time? I can only offer the usual lame excuses about nearing the end of the 7 plus hour trip and anxious to see my grandkids whom we have missed daily. [First Mistake--- the key word above is “anxious”] We came off of the two lane Rte. 41 and entered I94 as it becomes three lanes. I typically take the left lane because it offers more escape routes than others. So I did my usual over the shoulder look- mirror check- another over shoulder look and moved into the left lane with a turn signal as well. I moved into the right wheel track of the left lane at 65mph to keep up with the locals. [Second Mistake--- I should have moved to the left wheel track, making a firm position of lane ownership.] I was only in this right track briefly, ten, twenty seconds, and just about to move to the left track, then suddenly there was a loud swooshing noise to my left, a large black blur, and then a roar, as a shiny late model BMW coupe shot past us on the left only inches away, as he split the lane at an incredible speed. He continued to cut left and right over and over and weaving his way through the slowing traffic ahead as the congestion built. I was astonished and sick as we gradually made our way to the right lane to regain our composure. Nancy thought she was going to puke, and I was pretty close to that myself. I was shocked more than anything. Congestion quickly built in all the lanes as we neared an exit (Tower Road) where I decided it would be best to escape the madness of high speed Urban *******s. Then, as I moved into the exit lane, who should suddenly make a few more quick lane changes and appear in front of me, but Mr. shiny BMW himself. We curved up to the stop light lane split together, he choosing to go left, south, and me to go right. Suddenly, as I was now actually close to, and at a stand still next to this shiny reckless car, while we both had no choice but to wait, my anger seemed to spring up out of nowhere and I quickly maneuvered my bike into a position next to the passenger window of the reckless *******. I don’t think I have ever felt such disgust and rage and fear all at the same time. [Third Mistake] I am not sure if the passenger window was already down, or if he lowered it to accommodate me, I could see that there was a female passenger, and a male driver who obviously anticipated that I had something to share--- that is all I registered as I then spoke what are probably the worst possible words anybody could say to a black man in America today--- “If I had a gun, I would kill you now.” [Fourth Mistake] I have no idea yet where that came from in me. Yes, I own guns. No, I have no interest in concealed carry laws, and you could count the times I fire a gun in a year on one hand. As the words passed my lips, I suddenly realized that the driver and his passenger were, in fact, black. I maneuvered back into the right lane waiting for the green. Then I heard the BMW engine roaring behind us, and sure enough, he was tight on my tail as I made my way east over the congested interstate, flowing with the others who sought an alternate route. He came up beside me on the left and tried to run me off the road several times and I figured he didn’t really want to mess up that expensive car, but I also figured if I stopped and got off the bike, I’d probably never see the light of day again. So I moved with the traffic and figured I’d better head straight to the cop shop parking lot in Wilmette or Winnetka. Soon enough, he turned off and headed west again and left us shaken, angered, and now embarrassed. I feel like **** about it.
More lessons learned.

The only thing you did wrong was being where you were. That was actually NOT your fault, but it's a shame that this happened. Hope your wife didn't judge that all rides go this route.............Just so glad I am in a very rural environment and don't have to put up with traffic like that, folks that threaten my life because they have entitlement lifestyles in their souls, live in a concealed carry state, and if someone threatens my life in any way, I will gladly not threaten theirs but.....

hmmmm what will I do????.......Actually I know; but will keep one guessing for as someday when I am forced to protect my life or other's and end up in court, they cannot use this against me..........God bless these United States.......Dennis

Talk to her and admit how you blew it and what you learned from the episode and assure her how you will handle all those mistakes in the future. Then do it. And remember, two wrongs never make a right. Never.

In my case, the spouse would be certainly more upset with me and my actions (by doing what you did), than with the BMW driver. People are stupid...you aren't going to change that...ALWAYS Disengage As Soon As Possible..."we" ARE THE losers when it comes to road rage. That's ADASAP...a lot like ATGATT.

I know, easier to say than do.

A few words about those kind of situations and encounters on our North American roads:

What a cowboy society and far too much attitude behind the wheel.

Their is a reason why my bike and cars have a built in video recorder, I have seen some real crazy ---- out their. Not just cagers, knuckle heads on all forms of transportation. Witnesses something bad, down load to smart phone, I my case ask investigating officer his email, 30 seconds later he has copy of the video
NEVER ENGAGE the other party, either with jestures or conversation, far to many crazies out their, better to call 911, and get your side of story out first, I've done that in the car several times. In California the CHP responds to cell 911 calls, each time I called the dispatcher already knew of the problem driver and had units in persuit

For your consideration- what has been done is not seen/thought of or considered a problem. The reaction (yours), while actually the second part, is seen as the first "transgression".
With this little piece of history missing, there is a path to a bad outcome.
OM

Good thing that everybody got out unharmed.
I think the lesson is to keep your distance from people who exhibit poor driving behavior; both while they are doing it and afterwards. Even if you are in a car yourself.
Think it through, discuss what you are planning to do in the future in a similar situation with your wife, and give her some time.

Regarding highway speeds and lane position choice: on my commute in the Chicago area traffic often flows at 75 mph and above, which makes it harder to stay ahead of everybody. I try to stick to the left lane, but occasionally move one over if it's a pretty open stretch and I notice faster moving traffic coming from far behind. Even though there is a higher likelihood of encountering road debris, I usually ride in the middle of my lane (not when it's oily and wet, or when I see debris in the road).

Yes, alot of good replies here, from staying away--- I tried to get off the road as soon as possible, and there he was again--- yes I should have ignored him, yes, I should have called 911 from my headset. Yes, we are lucky no one got physically hurt. I F'd up this time--- actually the this was first time in some thirty years of being riding.

Thanks

Hey, don't beat yourself too bad. I actually laughed a little at what you said to him and I am truly glad that nothing happened on either end. Sorry you scared the wife, but as already stated, just talk to her and she will be okay. We all make mistakes so just shake it off, as you seem to have learned something by the experience. Glad all is well. Still smiling...Gail

While in Germany last month, my friend there almost got taken out by a car. Had he had been 25 feet further ahead, he would have been in a wheel chair or dead.

The idiot car driver, either a local on a cell phone not paying attention or some foreigner didn't have a clue what this road sign means...

Sign1.gif

The heavy black 90 degree line is the priority road. Those coming from the west and turning south and those coming from the south and turning west, do not have to stop.

Those heading into the smaller side streets or coming from them (denoted by the thin black lines) have to stop either prior to the apex of the turn or prior to entering the priority road to check for the right of way traffic.

The driver of the car came from the west and cut right across into the east bound side street and he was going at a good clip. We were coming from the south and turning west while on the priority road. There was no view either with a home right on the SW corner.

I have a reason for saying few should have a driver's licence. Would you want everybody to be your airline pilot. Be honest now.

She's back!

I had to promise a chocolate ice cream cone.got back on.jpeg
It was looking kind of iffy for a few days, but the quiet backroads of Wisconsin were the perfect Rx.
She's a good sport and a great companion.

Back