• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

cross country ride

ritterjr1200rs

I was just thinking about if I could ride across the country next summer - though I don't have any riding buddy's or a wife who would go along with me - has anyone ever organized an MOA ride, with a set route and dates where anyone could join for a while, and then leave if they had to? It would be cool to work on for a year or so, get a good route across the US - and enable lots of MOA riders to meet for a part of the ride, and even have a few go all the way. Any interest? takers? organizers?
Software, GPS, spreadsheets, cell phones all make this doable as a group effort - I would love to work on it and think it would be a lot of fun. As my 55 year old self has never done it, I am thinking, now is the time!
Discuss here or drop me a line - ritterj1@me.com
thanks,
jeff

I'd say build a route and set dates, stops, things you want to see and do, mileage per day targets, decide on hotel, camping etc and formulate a detailed plan.

Then post with the option to join all or part but make it clear it is your ride, you will follow your plan, so on.

This way people can comment as desired but the point will always be its your ride, your timeline and you decide if and what will change.

Sometimes people can be incompatible on rides, some ride longer days than others, some faster than others, some want to camp and others hotel only.

Your ride can easily be spoiled by incompatible partners especially long rides spanning weeks.

I like building routes by desired number of days total for the trip, then set mybdestination, from there ibcab get mybrequired mikes per day which then lets me know how many hours i jave for atops, sight seeig, sleep, etc.

I then can zero in on spots for stopping, sights and areas where I need a place to sleep.

With this I go in Google Maps I build a generic point to point map, from there I can use my data to identify my stops such as sightseeong stops and hotels for the night in cities or towns along the way. I revise my route for those points and reases my miles per day and total trip time, adjusting as needed.

Once set, I export the route to load into my GPS, checking in basecamp and fixing if the import didn't work well and I also save it as offline in case my GPS dies or I want to adjust on my tablet along the way.

Lots of other things to consider, like thinking about tires and oil changea if needed along the way depending on distance and packing lists but that's minor to the preplanning of the route.

IMHO anyway.

Back