• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Food for Thought?

bobs_one

I came across this while looking at "What Motorcycles Teach About Maintenance" at https://books.worksinprogress.co/book/maintenance-of-everything/vehicles/what-motorcycles-teach-about-maintenance/7

"Motorcycle Footnote 1: Ride to die.

Motorcycles tangentially confer a public benefit. Fatally injured motorcycle riders are in great demand at hospitals looking for transplantable organs because: one, the donor riders are often young and healthy, marred only by what killed them; and, two, there are quite a lot of them—around 5,400 a year in the US currently, a death rate 27 times greater per vehicle mile than in cars.25

The spare parts most needed for repairing humans in America are kidneys, livers, hearts, lungs, pancreases, and intestines. Tissues that can be grafted include bones, tendons, ligaments, skin, heart valves, blood vessels, and corneas. There are never enough donors to meet demand—over 100,000 patients are usually waiting for a donor organ, and 7,000 die every year because an organ could not reach them in time. The supply of organs and tissue from motorcycle riders has gone up in recent decades, especially in the 22 states that still don’t have helmet laws."

Maybe

Over the years I have made the comments we as motorcyclists are on a slender thread or borrowed time. Usually my comments are in regard to the minority of us riders who set a bad example. The loud pipes guys, the Ricky road racers, and so on. Luckily it has been a minority of John Q public crying to get us off the road.
On the other hand, thankfully again so far a minority, is the do gooders who want to protect us from injury or cry about the cost of motorcycle injuries. Typically they cite the cost to care for injured riders and the frequency of said injuries. Their bottom line is ban bikes make everyone safe and our health care cost will go down.

Now, this post opens a counter to those latter do gooders. There is a great need for transplants, why shut down such a big source? That is a topic that could lead to great discussion which aside from this morbid post I have written, I am not going to engage in. St.

We ride, we take the risks associated with that activity, and many die in accidents [ their fault, someone else's fault, doesn't matter ].

I've got organ donor on my license in the hopes that one day, whether it's tomorrow or I'm 85 years old, perhaps I can help someone else live a little longer.

At 74, still riding, still flying my T6 Texan, and doing scuba diving. All considered risky activities. I do not take unnecessary risks while doing these activities (know your limits). When my numbers up it’s up

I too have organ donor only license. I've played high risk games my whole life, I understand and accept those risks including riding by bikes. I'm ok with it.

If I leave this world participating in one of the risky activities I love, I'll consider it a life well lived. If my organs are able to save someone else's life, so much the better.

By the way

By the way, I have been in three motorcycle accidents in my riding career. Still riding and will do so as long as the body lets me and the do gooders don't stop me.

One thing, I don't take anymore than the normal risks, so no Ricky road racing. Mind you I ride brisk and smooth. Second thing, I wear all the gear all the time and after each accident upped the amount as best as possible. LOL, wrote a friend how my full face helmet has saved my teeth, jaw and good looks twice now. He replied "what good looks?" St.

Call me selfish, but I am not a donor because I don't trust anybody.
A few years back, one of the more respected heart hospitals in the area were ready to harvest, when the patient sat up.
Granted she was an addict, but really?

A few years back, one of the more respected heart hospitals in the area were ready to harvest, when the patient sat up.

She hadn't been declared deceased by a coroner? That's interesting, and against the law.

Once my body is no longer of use to me, use anything within that may help another live longer.

Your body, your choice. As for me I'm with Browine and Skibum and Powow. Once I'm dead and gone I'd like to think that some good could be done with my mortal remains.

I do like the OP link to the rejoinder to the whole "donorcycle" scolding from those who choose not to ride and think I shouldn't either. :bikes

At 74, still riding, still flying my T6 Texan, and doing scuba diving. All considered risky activities. I do not take unnecessary risks while doing these activities (know your limits). When my numbers up it’s up

Excellent! I'm about your age and I've not stopped doing the things I love - like motorcycle riding. You can not eliminate risk, but you can manage it, and those who develop good risk management skills are often in less danger than those who try to avoid all risk.

Once I'm dead and gone I'd like to think that some good could be done with my mortal remains.

My philosophy as well. Been carrying a donor card for years. Can't remember but it may have information about being an organ donor on my Ontario driver's licence.

I just happen to be a organ transplant recipient. I was truly near death about a year ago until I received the transplant operation. It really did give me a new lease on life and because of which, I'm riding again after a 13 year absence from motorcycles. Nothing like almost dying to awaken you to know you should do the things that you love.

So yeah, I'm now registered as donor myself.

Last edited:
News

In the news I see the National highway safety board is looking to add to new cars a speed control system. The do gooders are on the march, and the 10% are adding fuel to their feet. St.

I have had a donor card since I started driving why back in the dawn of time. st.

Organ donor here. I won't need them, but I've known two people with heart transplants (both riding friends), a few with kidney transplants and one person that had both lungs transplanted.

Donating my organs won't mean a thing to my deceased corpus, but it could mean life or death for someone else. Why wouldn't I unless I pass them along?

I can't quite understand the "I don't trust people" bit, but I figure if I'm dead, it's probably going to be pronounced by an actual doctor after an actual examination, so I'm not too worried about waking up in the middle of having my heart removed.

I must be interpreting this paragraph a bit differently than others.

To me, this is borderline snarky, calling out helmet laws (or the lack thereof) and a thinly-veiled disdain for motorcyclists; our only redeeming quality being a source of harvestable organs.

I'm an organ donor too, so are most of the regular automobile drivers I know.

Back