• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 31 October 2007

mika

Still Wondering
Today’s Birthdays / Calendar

Birthday.jpg

BMW in the News

BMW has hitched its star to hydrogen as the answer to future auto energy needs. Gizmag ask the follow up question:
gizmag.com
I hydrogen the answer to our future transport needs?

moto-station.com
BMW WSBK: With the HP4, 4 cylinders and 1000cm3

TED: Ideas worth spreading
TED Blog,Conferences, Themes, Talks and Speakers

BMW AG: Share price performance

BMW Press: News and press releases from the official BMW sources

BMW PressClub Canada

Superbike World Championship 2009 - BMW Motorrad announces cooperation with alpha Technik.
10/30/2007

Munich. On September 28th 2007, it was announced at the Paris motorcycle trade show Mondial du Deux Roux by Peter M??ller, BMW Motorrad Executive Vice President Development and Model Lines, that BMW would be entering the Superbike World Championship in 2009.
During the 2008 season the new team will be formed under the management of Berti Hauser, General Manager Motorsport BMW Motorrad. The 1000 cc in-line 4-cylinder bike completely newly developed by BMW Motorrad will be tested and further developed in an extended series of training modules under racing conditions. The experienced partner for this ambitious project is alpha Technik GmbH, based in Stephanskirchen near Rosenheim.

Peter M??ller: "By entering the Superbike World Championship we will be competing against manufacturers and teams which are many years ahead of us in terms of experience in a segment which is new to us. We know it won't be easy. With alpha Technik GmbH we have found a partner with a lot of development expertise and over 10 years of experience in superbike racing. We anticipate that we will be able to establish ourselves successfully within the strong international competitive field with our new motorcycle."

The BMW Hydrogen 7 conquers the hearts of film divas - The actresses Monica Bellucci, Cate Blanchett and Jane Fonda drive to the Rome Film Festival on hydrogen
10/30/2007

Rome. For the second time, Rome opened its gates for the film festival "Cinema. Festa Internazionale di Roma". International screen stars will be walking up the red carpet in the Italian capital until October 27th - in particular Monica Bellucci, who is presenting her new film "Le deuxi?¿me souffle". This year the beautiful actress offered photographers a very special eye-catcher in addition to her black gown: she drove up in a shiny silver premium BMW sedan powered by hydrogen. Her celebrity colleagues Cate Blanchett and Jane Fonda also made use of the BMW Hydrogen 7's alternative energy source for their red carpet appearances.

215174503-M-0.jpg

The German automobile manufacturer provided as many as six of the world's first serial production vehicle fitted with a hydrogen combustion engine for the festival. Thus other big stars had the opportunity to experience the mobility of the future, including French actor G?®rard Depardieu, star director Francis Ford Coppola, Australian actor Geoffrey Rush, Italian actresses Asia Argento and Greta Scacchi, Indian actor and director Shekhar Kapur and Gilles Jacob, President of the Cannes Film Festival.

215174216-M.jpg

The BMW Group is a pioneer of hydrogen technology and has made consistent advancements in this field. For over two decades the company has become intensively involved with the issue of sustainable mobility. In the long term, petrol is to be replaced by hydrogen as an energy source. This year, the BMW Hydrogen 7 will continue to be provided to representatives of the areas of lifestyle, politics and business. Initially a small series of 100 vehicles was produced. The BMW Hydrogen 7 combines the full integration of hydrogen technology with the characteristic BMW features of driving dynamics, running smoothness and comfort fittings.

215174065-M.jpg

World of BMW News

Ayres Adventures and BMW launch Las Vegas Adventure Center

BMW Sauber F1: Website

BMW Motorsport

BMW Yachtsport

BMW Golfsport

BMW Oracle Racing

BMW Sport website

News:

galevestondailynews.com
Sport bikers have a place to call home

The European market expansion of H-D/ Buell continues.
insidebikes.com
Buell 1125R arrives in UK

motorcycle-usa.com
Thundersprint Cavalcade Returns

logoindian.jpg

cycrilhuzeblog.com
The return of Indian Motorcycles. Just another fashion statement?

bloomberg.com
Rubin says relying on weaker dollar isn’t ‘sound’

Cage World

ridingtheelephant
Bajaj near deal with Renault for $3,000 car.

Packer News

jsonline.com
Packers Plus Online

The News-Record – Gillette Wyoming

Bike Reviews:

motoring.co.za
ROAD TEST: BMW K1200GT, grand luxury tour

Future of Bikes?
gizmag.com
Piaggio’s MP#

Rumors:

autoblog.com
First rendering of the possible MV Agusta Brutale 675

Feature:

Were some of them went:

confiscatascissors.jpg

boingboing.net
Scissor spiders made from TSA confiscata

Blog Update

Redleg’s Rides: Making it as part of the BMW Owner News Magazine

Foreign Language Blogs

Over Heard in New York | Voice of the City

Photography / Video:

aPS.com
Rediscovering Square Cropping

dPS.com
13 Lessons to Teach Your Child About Digital Photography

Links to the Photo Assignment threads:

10/27/07: Open Wide

10/19/07: Shadow of a Doubt

10/13/2007: Group Dynamic

10/06/2007: Blue

09/29/2007: Evolution

09/22/2007: Balance

09/15/2007: Where I Want to Be

09/08/2007: A Long Way to Go

M.R. Traveler

Bikes in the Fast Lane
TomTom GPS, Route planning and Google

US Forest Service Fall Color Hotline

na.fs.fed.us
Why Leaves Change Color?

If you want the latest leaf color reports ...

NY 800-225-5697
VT 800-837-6668
MA 800-227-6277
ME 800-777-0317
RI 401-222-2601
CT 800-282-6863

The Best Fall Foliage Sites in America

Wonderings:

reuters.com
Marx’s Erupting Skin

This article seemingly has nothing to do with motorcycles; BMW’s or any would be political debates going on in the forum and real life. To begin with it simply sparked a flashback to my first college days and the study of political theory as I rode to get some milk for breakfast after reading the article.

The study of political theory often starts in a discussion of how humans organize themselves in a state of nature. How this state of nature is seen by the participants then logically leads to how and why they organize themselves.

If you spend any amount of time on a university campus various fields of study collide with each other at social events and other gatherings. These interactions follow a normal pattern of introductions, questions about what areas people are studying and as coffee or beer, depending on the setting, is consumed there is a cross pollination of ideas and explanations of events and behavior between fields. The social sciences were intent on emphasizing the scientific nature of the various fields of social science as I began to study political science. Many friends in political science were trying desperately to move away from abstract philosophical discussions of states of nature. While I retained a preference for more philosophical arguments friends in the department were examining things such as magnetic field theory as tools to describe political behavior, and others found a bridge between the two in the medical field.

The debate over nature versus nurture as an explanation for human behavior has been going on for a long time. Long term clinical studies, the growing understanding of genetics and a growing understanding of the interplay between our physical and emotional selves provided areas of interest ripe for the cross pollination into the field of explaining political theory. This is when a bottle of aquavit, Hobbes, Locke, a lovely psychiatry student, a bit of history and a friend of mine collide resulting in his doctoral thesis.

Hobbes and Locke have very different views of the state of nature. The former’s state is not a nice place at all, while the latter is a much more reasoned, nice, why don’t we all get along kind of state of nature. Discussions of the two states were well trod paths by this time and provided little or no new until you introduce that bottle of aquavit and the rest sighted above.

The crux of the thesis, as I remember it, had to do with impact of the time in the womb on the views of the state of nature proposed by these two theoretical giants. It seems Hobbes, the one with the nasty state of nature, had a tough time in the womb. His mother worked through the pregnancy and at one point fell off a ladder causing complications with the pregnancy. Momma Locke on the other hand was an aristocrat allowing her son a gentile gestation which presumably resulted his gentler and kinder understanding of the theoretical state of nature.

All of this a buck will get you a cup of coffee and change at the Lilydale gas station. Take a bit more money and you too can purchase a quart of milk for you breakfast cereal as I did. During my cup of coffee I had forgotten the article and my flash back to college until I picked up my quart of milk and went out to my Roadster. As I swung my leg over and struggled a bit to settle comfortably into the saddle it all came together and I wondered: Has anyone ever done research into the relationship between a designer’s time in the womb and how comfortable the saddle they design for a motorcycle is? Some German frau must have had a rough nine months.

Today’s RoadFood.com

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

xkcd A webcomic of Romance, Sarcasm, Math and Language

Sluggy Freelance

Bike Candy:

161828080-L.jpg

THE END

Last edited:
Reading the post this morning from Orlando. Going to go trick or treating with my grandson later today. Flight down and back is about 5 hours and less than $100. Could not pay for the gas in my motorcycle for that C note.

Did anyone notice the spider in Scissor spiders made from TSA confiscata? The sting end is made from nail clippers! Just how dangerous could nailclippers get?

Any airline pilots out there to answer a question? Maybe JK. In the magazine on board the 737 its lists a GPS as an electronic item that may never be used. The GPS does not send signals, only receives them. Are airlines concerned you might turn on a GPS and find out where you are? :nono

Back