• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

get the lead out!

subconscious

What do you all do for the lead supplement for the older engines?

It was recommended that I use a lead substitute for my R75/6 (1974) by one person and then a few weeks later I spoke with a mechanic and he suggested that it was not necessary.

Okay, can there be more of an contradiction?

I drove a 1976 R90S all over Kansas, Nebraska, and into the Dakotas and Minnesota from my home in Leavenworth without ever a thought about lead in the gasoline. 30,000+ miles with no issues whatsoever. The guidance to me was to pay attention to the amount of adjustment I had to make when I did the valves. It turned out that whenever I checked them, almost no adjustment was required over the four years I owned this motorcycle. So that's my advice to you. Watch your valve adjustments. If you are getting valve seat recession, you'll know it.

Back