• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low beam headlight 2014 RTW

JIMMC

The low beam headlight on my 2014 1200RTW burnt out. The rider’s manual contains illustrations on actually replacing the bulb but no guidance on how to actually get to that point. Any suggestions - disassembly?

First Post Here

I have hours sitting in front of my 14 RTLC working on the headlight bulb. I think I can helpfully comment on this.
It took lots of practice to get this done but I was committed to installing the LED bulb. I commute year round in the PNW, had one on my GS, and appreciated the differences enough to go through the process. Way better colored light for those rainy and dark commutes in the middle of winter.

It took a lot of fiddling with the thing to get it changed out. The stock bulb should be very easy by comparison.
You need to pull up a stool and sit in front of the motorcycle looking right into the headlight. It does make it easier to visualize. I worked from the right turn signal side of things, so mostly left handed.

Reach under and up behind the light housing and turn the bulb cover to remove it. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. 1/4 turn I think.
Unplug the connector and move it out of the way.

The spring holding the bulb is latched at the bottom on both sides and pivots up and out of the way at the top. Push down on the spring and slide it outboard to unhook.

R & R the bulb and reverse the procedure. It really helps looking at the bulb from the front to properly orient it for replacement..

At some point in this process I was cussing the engineer who lost the bet and had to put the headlight assembly in after everything else was designed. A really crappy design for a part that is consumable.

As strange as it might sound, if I were a first timer changing the silly thing, I might consider it a dealer replacement item.

Good luck!
Scott

I encountered this same issue a few weeks ago and after about 30 minutes of effort, was able to get the old bulb out and the new one in, but couldn't get the retaining wire fastened. I had to take it to my dealer and it took their tech 15 minutes to get it fastened. I believe it is unconscionable for BMW to have this level of inept engineering for a task so common that it should take five minutes or less. I wrote BMW USA and expressed my opinion on this, but just got a boilerplate "thanks for your opinion" reply.

I don't know if disassembly is possible with the RT but I did have to do that with the similar arrangement on my 2008 F800ST. I worked some by jamming my hand down from the top and some by reaching up from below.

Halogen bulbs in German vehicles have been clipped in the same way for decades. The fact you're unfamiliar with this does not make it bad design.

Halogen bulbs in German vehicles have been clipped in the same way for decades. The fact you're unfamiliar with this does not make it bad design.

The fact that it took a trained BMW technician 15 minutes to re-attach the clip would suggest otherwise--that it is, in fact, a bad design.

ScottsRT – Thanks for your response. It did reveal they can be replaced. I did well doing as you instructed until after I removed the cover plate. Then, avoiding pulling-pushing too hard, I couldn’t see how to disconnect that connector. I then decided this would be a dealer job as I have an appointment for my 12000 service 10 June. I do believe BMW engineers design parts requiring dealer support.

I have hours sitting in front of my 14 RTLC working on the headlight bulb. I think I can helpfully comment on this.
It took lots of practice to get this done but I was committed to installing the LED bulb. I commute year round in the PNW, had one on my GS, and appreciated the differences enough to go through the process. Way better colored light for those rainy and dark commutes in the middle of winter.

It took a lot of fiddling with the thing to get it changed out. The stock bulb should be very easy by comparison.
You need to pull up a stool and sit in front of the motorcycle looking right into the headlight. It does make it easier to visualize. I worked from the right turn signal side of things, so mostly left handed.

Reach under and up behind the light housing and turn the bulb cover to remove it. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. 1/4 turn I think.

The spring holding the bulb is latched at the bottom on both sides and pivots up and out of the way at the top. Push down on the spring and slide it outboard to unhook.

R & R the bulb and reverse the procedure. It really helps looking at the bulb from the front to properly orient it for replacement..

At some point in this process I was cussing the engineer who lost the bet and had to put the headlight assembly in after everything else was designed. A really crappy design for a part that is consumable.

As strange as it might sound, if I were a first timer changing the silly thing, I might consider it a dealer replacement item.

Good luck!
Scott

Rockbottom – Thanks for your response. After using band-aid support for damages incurred reaching for things I couldn’t see I decided this would be a dealer job. BMW engineers clearly support dealer involvement in places I believe are not necessary.

rockbottom;996202]I encountered this same issue a few weeks ago and after about 30 minutes of effort, was able to get the old bulb out and the new one in, but couldn't get the retaining wire fastened. I had to take it to my dealer and it took their tech 15 minutes to get it fastened. I believe it is unconscionable for BMW to have this level of inept engineering for a task so common that it should take five minutes or less. I wrote BMW USA and expressed my opinion on this, but just got a boilerplate "thanks for your opinion" reply.

I don't know if disassembly is possible with the RT but I did have to do that with the similar arrangement on my 2008 F800ST. I worked some by jamming my hand down from the top and some by reaching up from below.[/QUOTE]

It can be done without disassembly. Get used to it because BMWs love to eat headlight bulbs. Just involves awkward angles and getting used to unclipping and reclipping them without looking at what you're doing.

LED Headlights...Someday!

I, too, have had the fun of replacing the bulb. My big hands and that small, confined area make bulb changes a real adventure.
If BMW eats bulbs, as was stated earlier, then I hope that BMW releases a LED version of the their headlight. Low and High beam.

I replaced my Road Glides stock lens with Harley's LED and I would love to be able to have BMW come up with a replacement for their lights in that same vein.

I, too, have had the fun of replacing the bulb. My big hands and that small, confined area make bulb changes a real adventure.
If BMW eats bulbs, as was stated earlier, then I hope that BMW releases a LED version of the their headlight. Low and High beam.

I replaced my Road Glides stock lens with Harley's LED and I would love to be able to have BMW come up with a replacement for their lights in that same vein.

Amen to that! Should have come from the factory with LED's like the GS does :banghead

Amen to that! Should have come from the factory with LED's like the GS does :banghead

I had a 2014 GS and I loved those LED headlights. My son-in-law has one now and there is quite a difference between his GS and my RT.

Sure do miss those lights....

EarlT

Good luck!
Scott

Scott,
In your post regarding changing the stock headlight bulb, you mention that you put a led version in a GS (and also in an RT). I am wanting to replace the stock bulbs in a 2009 RT with led's but not sure which to use. I am very concerned with the led device working correctly in the stock reflector, I hope to maintain good light aim and good light cutoff at the top. What is the led that you used and how did it work out for you? Thanks for any comments you might share. -et

LED Bulb Replacement

EarlT,
I used a H7 replacement LED from Cyclops Adventure Sports. http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/H7-3000-lumen-LED-Headlight-bulb_p_86.html

This all fits into the bucket on the RT but it is a tight fit. Installation on the RT is a PITA for sure but only because of the badly engineered headlight bulb access. Hopefully I will never have to get in there again, this bulb should last that long.. :)
Mine has been running for about 5 months now but the GS ran one for nearly 2 years before I traded it in.

Light output is great and the color is the same as my Krista's and Glenda's. So much better than halogen's color, things just show up better at night especially in the rain.

I don't know how the access is on an '09, has to be better than my '14!
The LED bulb replacement does have to be oriented properly to keep the cutoff close to what BMW built in with the halogen. I am super happy with how mine works.

Scott

YouTube and gloves

There are a couple of good YouTube videos, but they are for slightly older RTs. The closure and holding pins are the same but the location and headlight configuration has changed somewhat and looks to be harder on the latest model. I found the video below very useful in seeing how to change the headlight and before watching this I didn't think I could do it. I removed the speaker cover on one side to give slightly more room to work from the top as needed. I did most of the work while in front of the bike reaching under and up into the fairing. The hardest part for me was to reattach the clips and these required a good deal of force with gloves. I had the best leverage from the top while using my thumb. It took me about 30 minutes to change the bulb, but with practice it could probably be done in 10 to 15 minutes. The owners manual makes it look far easier than it really is. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/kuvgi7Xt45E

Low Beam Bulb Replacement 2015 RTW

I replaced a burned out low beam bulb on my 2015 R1200RT today with a new H7 bulb. As others have noted, it is an awkward reach into a tight area, and you are working blind. I found it helpful to temporarily unbolt the horn from its mount behind the low beam light by removing the 13mm nut and washer. This provides more area for your hand to work in and gives you better access to the connector, spring clips, and bulb for removal and replacement. Just remember to reattach the horn to its mounting post when bulb replacement is complete.

Back