• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2015 R1200GS Adventure?????

1der

I may be in the market for GSA but after reading this forum I'm having second thoughts. Are the issues like "Surging" such a big issue?
What else do I have to worry about? Dealer could be 3 to 6 hours away. Would I be better off looking for a different machine? Looking to go
to Alaska next year before I get to old(67 now). Any thoughts????? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I have not really heard of surging on the GS/GSA Wethead. I suspect it is a bad tune, or a separate issue on any that may have experienced it.

My personal opinion is that the Wethead is one of the most sorted bikes out there right now, and I would not hesitate to take it anywhere.

Jim :brow

In late January I took delivery of a blue 2015 R1200GSA, my first GS-type motorcycle, and have put over 3200 miles on it to-date (5/10/15). I've seen the comments about surging and have also experienced something like that with mine, but not caused by any apparent problems with the engine. In what I've experienced, in standard ROAD mode and at very low revs, the bike's very quick throttle response, combined with certain clutch action, can lead to porpoising. The jerkiness caused me to lean forward and backward slightly but quickly, resulting in simultaneously rotating the throttle grip slightly backward and forward, while relaxing or increasing tension on the clutch lever. This behavior typically occurred when starting out quickly, as I was very accustomed to doing with my previous sport-touring bikes, Concours-14 and Trophy SE. Once I recognized this interaction, I improved my clutch and throttle control when starting out and seem to have tamed the porpoise, and I no longer accelerate from a stop as fast as before.

If there is an easy adjustment to tame the throttle responsiveness in ROAD mode at low revs, I would like to have that done. I have not yet tried any other mode.

Don

Go for it. The New GSW has been universally applauded by the motorcycle world as the best adventure bike in the world for two years. I personally have a 2013 GSW with 18K milers.

No problems or issues. Handles the mountains in the SE better than by 2007 RT. 47 mpg average fore the whole time. Scary fast if you want it to be , but very controllable if that is the way you want to ride.

I am 68 and would take it to Alaska in a minute if the urge struck me. You only get one turn.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses, very helpful. I wasn't awfully concerned about the "surging" issue. Figured it was something that could be corrected. Just keep it revved up and ready to "Get-It-On". Now just waiting for the dealer to get back to me.

I have 2014 1200 GSA, 7000 miles. Never had any type of surging at any speed / RPM's. Fly by wire gives a quick throttle response which took me a bit to get used to.

Back