• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

M8 Torx Bolts - Source?

DoubleH

I'm having trouble finding M8 Torx bolts for my R12RT handlebars. I need a full set of (8) 30mm bolts and also (4) 55mm bolts (long story). I could go with hex heads if I can't find the Torx but would prefer to keep things consistent throughout the bike.

I web-searched and checked beemerboneyard, no luck. I'd like to avoid dealer prices.

Any ideas?

Thanks

M8 Torx Bolts

O'Reilly Auto Parts is were I got mine,our any parts store, had mine three and half years still works fine,

Torx bolts

I've gotten them at HomeDepot in the past, Lowes too. They used to have an aisle with drawers of all kinds of bolts and fasteners in small packets or single items. I believe I got bolts for my '04 RT there. They were Allen head on that model though. I used them on my '07 when I put the bar backs on it so they work if you don't mind the different tool.
Ron

You are looking for the stock handlebar bolts and want to match the originals? Why not just buy the OEM bolts? They are like a buck and a half each. Too expensive, or is there something we're missing?

You are looking for the stock handlebar bolts and want to match the originals? Why not just buy the OEM bolts? They are like a buck and a half each. Too expensive, or is there something we're missing?

Yeah not that big a deal, the 30mm's are about $2/each and I ordered the 55's for a little more than that. The thing is, bike has the Navigator III mounted to the handlebars and I won't be using it, so to remove the bracket I'll need to replace the 4 mount points with 55mm's, because there are also 1" risers. Add to this that I also want to try it without the risers, hence the full set of 30mm's.

BUT...I assumed they would be Torx heads because it's M8 Torx holding the handlebars to the...handlebars(?) - #8 here...
252.png
...and I realized earlier that the handlebar mount bolts (#6 in the diagram) are actually HEX heads. Go figure. Maybe that's what came with the risers. Previous owner doesn't recall.

So..bottom line, much ado about not much at all. Sorry :hungover

Pretty sure the originals are Torx - could be stainless steel - and bolts that come with risers are unlikely to be.

Very little aftermarket stuff even tries to match the rest of the BMW hardware, which can be a bit annoying. I just installed some Wunderlich accessories on a new GS and it was pretty disheartening to see how little effort was made to match the hardware and attachment methods to the rest of the bike.

I've gotten them at HomeDepot in the past, Lowes too. They used to have an aisle with drawers of all kinds of bolts and fasteners in small packets or single items. I believe I got bolts for my '04 RT there. They were Allen head on that model though. I used them on my '07 when I put the bar backs on it so they work if you don't mind the different tool.
Ron

I used to source metric bolts, nuts and stuff at HomeDepot, but I noticed they recently changed vendors. I questioned the hardware guy, noting the new stuff looked much cheaper and lower quality. He said it was. HD changed hardware vendors and now sources stuff from low bid (low quality) Chinese made garbage. He also said that most of the new stuff is not really grade 5, 8, or whatever is advertised because of lack of quality control.

I can't speak about Lowes, since there is none in my area.

Ace used to have good quality nuts and bolts and a good variety too.

I used to source metric bolts, nuts and stuff at HomeDepot, but I noticed they recently changed vendors. I questioned the hardware guy, noting the new stuff looked much cheaper and lower quality. He said it was. HD changed hardware vendors and now sources stuff from low bid (low quality) Chinese made garbage. He also said that most of the new stuff is not really grade 5, 8, or whatever is advertised because of lack of quality control.

I can't speak about Lowes, since there is none in my area.

Ace used to have good quality nuts and bolts and a good variety too.

In two lifetimes it would not ever have occured to me to look for metric fasteners for a BMW motorcycle at Home Depot. True Value, yes. Ace, yes. Fastenal and McMaster Carr yes.

Back