• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final drive question

Jinxman69

Im reassembling my R90/6 and am questioning how much drag should be on the final drive. I sent it to the nice folks in Oregon to have the splines redone. I did not change anything else on the unit. I put it back together the same as it came apart. All I did was remove the housing nuts and pull out the gear for repair. When I reassembled it I was careful to put it together as it came apart. Prior to torquing the nuts it's was pretty easy to spin from the drive shaft. I torqued the housing nuts to 13lbs as per the manual and it was substantially more difficult to spin. I don't believe I should mess with the shims as the wear marks on the gears were spot on. Maybe I'm just not remembering how much drag was present prior to the repair.image.jpg

Jinx, did you tighten the four nuts that secure the final drive to the drive shaft tube BEFORE you installed the axle? SOP is to install the nuts finger tight, insert the axle, snug up the axle nut, and then fully tighten the four nuts. This ensures that the FD is aligned with the axle properly.

Or did you just remove the housing cover?

edit _ this is just a personal idiosyncrasy of mine: the lower shock bolt (left side) is easier to remove if the nut is on the "outside"; otherwise the silencer has to be dropped to remove the bolt. The bolt you have there looks a bit longer than it needs to be.

Final Drive

Jinx, did you tighten the four nuts that secure the final drive to the drive shaft tube BEFORE you installed the axle? SOP is to install the nuts finger tight, insert the axle, snug up the axle nut, and then fully tighten the four nuts. This ensures that the FD is aligned with the axle properly.

Or did you just remove the housing cover?

edit _ this is just a personal idiosyncrasy of mine: the lower shock bolt (left side) is easier to remove if the nut is on the "outside"; otherwise the silencer has to be dropped to remove the bolt. The bolt you have there looks a bit longer than it needs to be.

Nothing is "torqued " yet. Just the FD Housing bolts. Just seems a little stiff

You didn't check rotation before disassembly did you?

Tapered bearings require some preload. If you didn't replace any bearings and the shims are the same all should be good.

Shimmed

Im reassembling my R90/6 and am questioning how much drag should be on the final drive. I sent it to the nice folks in Oregon to have the splines redone. I did not change anything else on the unit. I put it back together the same as it came apart. All I did was remove the housing nuts and pull out the gear for repair. When I reassembled it I was careful to put it together as it came apart. Prior to torquing the nuts it's was pretty easy to spin from the drive shaft. I torqued the housing nuts to 13lbs as per the manual and it was substantially more difficult to spin. I don't believe I should mess with the shims as the wear marks on the gears were spot on. Maybe I'm just not remembering how much drag was present prior to the repair.View attachment 49284

Brought the unit to Max's and they re shimmed it. All good now

Back