• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016-r1200rs

I have a 2014 RT and love it. That said, there have been days where I wished for less wind protection. My wife has a 2014 GS and the width of the bars makes it difficult for her to get her knee down at the track. Adding an RS to the fleet opens many options for us. I will ride one as soon as possible.

Being that I'm still too young for an RT, I like the slight forward lean in riding position, and being based in California, I don't need the wind and weather protection of the RT. :p

I sat on the new RS and R at the San Mateo motorcycle show in November, and they are both great fitting bikes for me. I am disappointed that the beloved Telelever is missing, I really like the ride it provides. Maybe it's to give better air flow to the radiators, or maybe it's BMW knuckling under to the Press guys, just as they did with the paddle turn signal switches that I also miss.

Regardless, I think I will wait for the 2016 model before buying, just to see how the beta test models work out.

I'm really glad to see BMW bring back the RS and this seems like a terrific bike. I liked my '95 R1100RS a lot and this would be a worthy successor. I just bought a '13 GS less than 6 months ago and I don't expect to be selling it any time soon, so I guess I'll just be content to take a test ride when Gateway BMW gets a demo RS available. I have to say, the GS is totally awesome.

I think the RS is a nice choice for me. it falls between the R and the RT. I've had an LT an RT and an R in my past , so an RS seems right this time around.

Sat on the RS and R yesterday at the International MC show in Dallas, nice to finely see new product at this show! Both are sweet, the RS seems much lower then my 14 RT which is lower then my 02. No seat adjustment butt you can get a Low, Standard and High seat. If you have a shorter inseam this bike may put a big smile on your face.

Jay

I remain convinced that the change to telescopic forks has to do with packaging the radiators. Yes , I know the GS and the RT are noth water cooled with telelever buth the RS cuts a more slender design.

I've been looking for a new bike for a while. I think the technical advantage of the duo lever over conventional fork has greatly diminished with the advent of dynamic suspension adjustment now offered on the R-RS, S1000, etc. The computer can take care of anti dive as well as addressing damping rates... be as good or better than duo lever.

So the new generation of front forks will slowly displace the RxGS/RT technology.

I really really like it. I don't think it could displace me off my RT, but maybe once the RT is paid off the RS will be an addition. Comfort factor will be the biggest component for me, and the RT is hard to beat.

I was excited to see the RS back but no telelever is a deal breaker for me. Guess I will stick with the RT.

I would suggest you keep an open mind. I'm reminded of a line from National Lampoon's Vacation "If you think you hate it now, wait until you drive it." Point being you might like it.

I was excited to see the RS back but no telelever is a deal breaker for me. Guess I will stick with the RT.

I think the tele lever bikes from BMW are on their last legs from a technology standpoint. The primary benefit of the tele lever is the anti dive geometry, and lower stricton fork tubes. To get that you have a heavier, bulkier, more mechanically complex front end.

Now with ESA (sky hook, or what ever others call it) the anti dive feature is achieve with computers and electronic valving, the new fork designs and seals remove the lower striction issue.

From a marketing standpoint, BMW will sell Telelever and Paralever bikes as long as they remain their best seller...so they will be around for quite a while.

I think the tele lever bikes from BMW are on their last legs from a technology standpoint. The primary benefit of the tele lever is the anti dive geometry, and lower stricton fork tubes. To get that you have a heavier, bulkier, more mechanically complex front end.
I thought the unsprung mass ended up being lighter with the telelever? Or at least I remember a BMW statement advertising it that way.

Found it (well, the google did):"Further benefits of this design with telelever stanchions smaller in diameter than conventional telescopic forks are the weight advantage and an extremely responsive performance. The low unsprung masses and the quick reaction of the suspension make for excellent road contact over bumpy surfaces. " From http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/dk/da/i...tail/suspension/item_telelever.html&notrack=1

I thought the unsprung mass ended up being lighter with the telelever? Or at least I remember a BMW statement advertising it that way.

Found it (well, the google did):"Further benefits of this design with telelever stanchions smaller in diameter than conventional telescopic forks are the weight advantage and an extremely responsive performance. The low unsprung masses and the quick reaction of the suspension make for excellent road contact over bumpy surfaces. " From http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/dk/da/i...tail/suspension/item_telelever.html&notrack=1

State of the art design in 1994 has been replaced by re-engineered fork design that can do the same thing... I bet the press kit for the new bikes claims excellent rider/road feedback.

Taking nothing away from the ground breaking tele lever technology of the mid 90's, we do not see BMW putting it on it's high performance bikes R1000RR, and we do not see it putting it on it's newest models, R1200R/RS, r1000XR (oops I'm sure I have that jumbled_ the R1000R engine in adventure / anti multistrada trim.

And we have never seen BMW or any one else us it (telelever) on real race bike...where function and performance is paramount.

But it is on the highest sales volume current models R1200GS and RT. Time an continued sales success will determine how long in remains around.

Taking nothing away from the ground breaking tele lever technology of the mid 90's, we do not see BMW putting it on it's high performance bikes R1000RR, and we do not see it putting it on it's newest models, R1200R/RS, r1000XR (oops I'm sure I have that jumbled_ the R1000R engine in adventure / anti multistrada trim.

And we have never seen BMW or any one else us it (telelever) on real race bike...where function and performance is paramount.

But it is on the highest sales volume current models R1200GS and RT. Time an continued sales success will determine how long in remains around.

The slim design of the R and RS makes radiator placement an issue with the Telelever. I think many are over thinking this.

Jim :brow

rs1200rs - soon

mine is due soon. my first r bike after two Ks (K75s and K1100rs) both great bikes, just a bit old and needed attention that I can't give. This will be my first new bike ever. Should be a thrill. I expect to keep it a long time!

In my opinion, it's all about the radiators. With water-cooled engines, you need two side-mounted radiators to make room for a Telelever. This works OK for "wide" bikes like the RT and GS/A, not so well for sportier bikes like the RS and R.

If you order the Dynamic ESA, there won't be much dive anyway. When you brake, it stiffens the front shock damping, and when you accelerate, it stiffens the rear. very little chassis dive anyway.

Cheers, T

Last year, was hoping f800 gt would wow me but didn't like the belt drive and engine too buzzy.

Test rode an R1200r and R120RT courtesy of Leo's South in MN at the Hiawatha rally this past Friday - here's what I like about the R - manageable - not heavy, my 31" inseam allows my feet to touch the ground.

Riding the R put a big smile on my face - super nimble, tons of power, handles incredible - like a modern era airhead but with abs, navigation, heated grips, option for XM radio, Bluetooth, real cruise control, and a mode for riding in the rain.

Stock seat would have to go. I wish sidestand weren't so forward - I'd want a nice windscreen, driving lights and would like to see luggage options.

Want to ride the RS but none were available - think that one will be more aerodynamic for Xcountry trips.

Will keep an airhead so I can still wrench but am excited about the R model - RT was like driving a two wheeled caddy.

Back