• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016-r1200rs

Looks nice Fitz. Could you post a few more pictures at different angles showing the bags, trunk and head guards.

I've put about 200 commuting miles over the last week. Upgraded from an SV650.

Very planted in the corners. ESA works great. Very smooth and linear torque. Gear shift pro sounds amazing on downshifts. Brakes are amazing.

Some small complaints: stock seat cover is too sticky. Can't slide around. The small tachometer is horrible. And they should have launched with rider mode pro. Dealer also did not have the headlights aimed properly.

The small tachometer is horrible. And they should have launched with rider mode pro.

My wife and I took a short test ride and I didn't like the bar scale for a tach and we both thought the display was very hard to read in the sunlight.
I can't remember what options the rider mode pro adds. The better traction control like the S1000 has?

Here's a few pictures of the dash I copied from I-BMW.
IMG_5173_zpssmklhi9h.jpg

IMG_5176_zpsbtiwxsqj.jpg

IMG_5179_zpsqj4fzdmi.jpg

Welcome to the site ky.

I can't remember what options the rider mode pro adds. The better traction control like the S1000 has?
On the RT, it just adds "Dynamic" to the standard "Rain" and "Road" -- basically, you have to pay extra to get the "sharpest performance" mode (a mode that also decreases the electronic nannies' point of intrusion, so you can slide the rear a bit more, etc., when you are in hooligan mode).

Like others stated it add's sharper/quicker throttle response (same HP/TQ) and as you suspected it does add a Dynamic traction control by adding a lean angle sensor to the mix. On one of the forums (can't remember which one) a new RS owner stated that his dealer confirmed you could retrofit the rider mode pro (add sensor and ecu code/flash). Instead of the $350 it cost from the factory it was quoted as $590 w/ parts and labor. Not sure I'd get it, but it's nice to know that I could should I choose to in the future.

my new r1200rs

I've got abo0ut 600 km on my new RS (Lupin Blue, Dynamic ESA, Ride modes pro, still waiting for the crash bars and cases.
First impressions: it's a lot quicker than my old 2009 RT low frame, feels small in comparison (I can now flat-foot easily with the stock seat) and handles like a dream. It really corners on the proverbial rails, way more flickable, all with a ride that is supple and comfortable even on our frost-ravaged Canadian back roads. The exhaust has a joyous, sonorous deep trumpeting when you give 'er, while being civilized around town.
The riding position has proved very comfortable over a couple of 3-hour plus rides - the seat is firm, a touch hard even, but your rear is well spread over it with your thighs taking some of the weight, and it's easy to move around for some spirited cornering.
Wind protection is much better than I expected - no serious buffeting (screen in highest position, I'm 5'10"). Hands are moderately protected (I suspect I'll need some warmer gloves in the fall, while the upper and lower body seem well protected. My faceshield does collect a lot of bugs, though: just as well the range isn't too good as I'm fairly well blinded by bug squash by the time the fuel light comes on!
Fuel consumption is averaging 4.8l/100km compared to around 4.6 on the RT for the same sort of pace, and with the smaller tank 300-350km is about all I'm getting. Not a big problem, as I usually need to pee by then anyway.
The dash has everything you could possibly need, if you can be bothered to set it all up. I've got mine on Style 1 (Sport) at the moment and I think I prefer it as the tach is much bigger. The standard style is pretty busy and the touring style pretty useless.
Gear shift assist is wonderful under the right conditions: shifting down with the throttle closed, or up with moderate acceleration. Some of the time, though, it gives an almighty lurch shifting up and it doesn't feel as though it's good for the transmission. I think it's a case of getting used to it, and although the instructions say not to (if I'm reading them right), it does seem to shift up more smoothly if you back off the gas a little when accelerating hard.
The engine is powerful, grunty, tractable (much more so than the old RT) and smooth - although I do notice a low-frequency thrumming through the pegs while trundling through town.
I really think BMW have nailed it with this one. Love it!:)

I've got abo0ut 600 km on my new RS (Lupin Blue, Dynamic ESA, Ride modes pro, still waiting for the crash bars and cases.
First impressions: it's a lot quicker than my old 2009 RT low frame, feels small in comparison (I can now flat-foot easily with the stock seat) and handles like a dream. It really corners on the proverbial rails, way more flickable, all with a ride that is supple and comfortable even on our frost-ravaged Canadian back roads. The exhaust has a joyous, sonorous deep trumpeting when you give 'er, while being civilized around town.
The riding position has proved very comfortable over a couple of 3-hour plus rides - the seat is firm, a touch hard even, but your rear is well spread over it with your thighs taking some of the weight, and it's easy to move around for some spirited cornering.
Wind protection is much better than I expected - no serious buffeting (screen in highest position, I'm 5'10"). Hands are moderately protected (I suspect I'll need some warmer gloves in the fall, while the upper and lower body seem well protected. My faceshield does collect a lot of bugs, though: just as well the range isn't too good as I'm fairly well blinded by bug squash by the time the fuel light comes on!
Fuel consumption is averaging 4.8l/100km compared to around 4.6 on the RT for the same sort of pace, and with the smaller tank 300-350km is about all I'm getting. Not a big problem, as I usually need to pee by then anyway.
The dash has everything you could possibly need, if you can be bothered to set it all up. I've got mine on Style 1 (Sport) at the moment and I think I prefer it as the tach is much bigger. The standard style is pretty busy and the touring style pretty useless.
Gear shift assist is wonderful under the right conditions: shifting down with the throttle closed, or up with moderate acceleration. Some of the time, though, it gives an almighty lurch shifting up and it doesn't feel as though it's good for the transmission. I think it's a case of getting used to it, and although the instructions say not to (if I'm reading them right), it does seem to shift up more smoothly if you back off the gas a little when accelerating hard.
The engine is powerful, grunty, tractable (much more so than the old RT) and smooth - although I do notice a low-frequency thrumming through the pegs while trundling through town.
I really think BMW have nailed it with this one. Love it!:)
I meant to say that I don't like the bar-graph tach much. Tachs should be round and have needles. I don't understand why they did this. The tele forks (at least with dynamic ESA) are just plain better than the telelever: much more supple over bumpy roads, none of the harshness and jolting I experienced on bad roads with the telelever on my 2009 RT. And they don't dive enough to be a problem.

Some of the time, though, it gives an almighty lurch shifting up and it doesn't feel as though it's good for the transmission. I think it's a case of getting used to it, and although the instructions say not to (if I'm reading them right), it does seem to shift up more smoothly if you back off the gas a little when accelerating hard.

On our bikes which have the regular shift assist, they will shift smoothly as long as you are accelerating. Doesn't matter if the acceleration is mild, moderate or hard. If you happen to back off the gas while shifting it will lurch.
Like you said, you just need to get used to it.

I've got mine on Style 1 (Sport) at the moment and I think I prefer it as the tach is much bigger.

I see ESA does not show on Style one. I take it the ESA settings will pop up when you press the ESA button while in Style one. Is that correct?

Back