• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena S20 w/ 1200RT

I just ordered a S20 from Rocketmoto for my Shoei neotec

My wife's Shoei has ample room between the shells and the neck roll to tuck the extra wiring in and get it out of sight and out of the way. I wish the same could be said for my Arai....I had a bear of a time getting the wiring tucked in around the edges!

Added thoughts on the 20S

Installed my 20S on my 2013 R1200RT this weekend.

I followed Steve's (Vegasbeemerguy) instructions along with watching a few videos from the Sena site. I did quite a bit of reading on the blogs, and I must admit I didn't have any problems, everything paired up just as I expected. Music sounds great in the rider as well as the passenger headsets. The music and the intercom sound way better than my old Scala Rider PRO set-up.

I didn't want to pair up my phone and GPS, but if I do I will use Steve's prcedure on that also.

One thing I learned from Sena is that the order in which you pair devices is critical, and the order in which you power up is also critical, i.e., the way I am set up is that the radio on the beemer has to be on first and then power up the headsets.. Has to do with the order in which things are paired. Since I am only listening to the Sat. Radio and using the intercom I don't think it matters as much, but if the GPS/phone is paired with the headset along with the Bluetooth from the bike then it may make a difference.

Thanks to everybody on the blogs, especially steve

Added info - After another conversation with Sena I did pair my phone to my GPS and then paired the GPS to the bike using the GPS pairing method described in the Sena manual. So the headset is paired to the audio system of the bike through the phone pairing procedure and the iPhone is paired in through the GPS. I hear my Sat. Radio through the bike's audio and am able to hear GPS instructions and make and recieve phone calls from the iPhone. Audio sound quality is good, all control of the system is through the bike except for the volume. The volume has to be controlled by turning the headset jog wheel. Intercom cuts the audio volume automatically when one of us starts to speak music returns as soon as you stop talking.

Even though the GPS audio command system works I muted it because I find it to be a distraction. I also turn my phone off while riding,,,

The only complaint I have with the system is that "Music Sharing" has to be set up each time we power up the system. It doesn't stay up by its self...

We also have Arai helmets and I had no problem with the installation everything fit fine..

Last edited:
I was hesitant about purchasing the Sena 20s for my r1200rt but finally broke down and made the plunge. Installed easily on my Shoei helmet. I followed Steve's instructions for pairing and everything works perfectly. Sound quality is good, can hear my gps directions, make and receive phone calls, even use the intercom.

Turns out to be a great product.

Thanks again to Steve from a fellow Las Vegas resident.

How is the volume?

For you Sena 20 users: is the volume sufficient to conduct phone conversations at highway speeds? I'm currently using a different brand of bluetooth headset on an '08 RT, but an RTW may be in my future and I'd like to know if the audio volume for the RTW/20s combination works okay, especially if wearing ear plugs. With my current set up I essentially have to lay on the tank bag in order to hear the phone audio.

Thanks.

Tim

I have the older smh10 and can hold conversations on the highway at least to speeds of 75mph which is as fast as I have ever tested. Caller had no idea I was on a bike and I could hear them perfectly fine.

By all accounts the 20 is better than the 10 so it should be no issue IMHO. However your helmet, height, hearing, etc will all impact this.

For you Sena 20 users: is the volume sufficient to conduct phone conversations at highway speeds? I'm currently using a different brand of bluetooth headset on an '08 RT, but an RTW may be in my future and I'd like to know if the audio volume for the RTW/20s combination works okay, especially if wearing ear plugs. With my current set up I essentially have to lay on the tank bag in order to hear the phone audio.

Thanks.

Tim

I've used my S20 intercom for driver/passenger communications (i.e. not bike to bike yet) and volume and clarity are excellent. Initially, we both had to turn the volume down because it was too loud. I can easily hear even though my speakers are helmet mounted and the sound has to penetrate my custom molded earplugs.

I too have a 20S riding a RTW and if anything find the volume quite loud even with custom ear plugs. I'm always turning things down even with these antiquated and deficient ears.

Thanks guys. I'm not big on yakking while riding, but I do like to be able to answer a calls from family and friends when I'm on the road. Sounds like the S20 should work for me.

Tim

Media player problem

I have recently purchased the 2015 RT with Nav V.

Previously owned a 2005 RT with a Zumo 450 or 550 or 660. All communication thru Autocom.

Using Sena headset. Everything paired per the instructions provided in this forum. THANKS!!!

Now the problem - .mp3 loaded onto aux card. Media Player icon grayed out. If I continue, I get the message "Use the motorcycle radio to listen to music".

I understand I can use the aux input to attach my mp3 player - but I thought the Nav V would support mp3.

I have recently purchased the 2015 RT with Nav V.

Previously owned a 2005 RT with a Zumo 450 or 550 or 660. All communication thru Autocom.

Using Sena headset. Everything paired per the instructions provided in this forum. THANKS!!!

Now the problem - .mp3 loaded onto aux card. Media Player icon grayed out. If I continue, I get the message "Use the motorcycle radio to listen to music".

I understand I can use the aux input to attach my mp3 player - but I thought the Nav V would support mp3.

I think you need to be connected via Bluetooth A2DP . Look at page 9 of the manual About the Media Player

Jay

I think you need to be connected via Bluetooth A2DP . Look at page 9 of the manual About the Media Player

Jay
I think this is an answer to what I presume you are asking.

on the RT the Nav 5 media player won't work when mounted on the bike. BMW forces you to use the bike audio. The Nav V media is blocked.
regards

Range?

Contemplating taking the plunge, primarily to talk bike to bike with my wife. Have seen some reviews saying intercom range is bad. Would love to hear people's impressions on range vs their prior systems, especially the SMH10.

Music and ear plugs

I need to wear ear plugs to hear the audio? Please. The Germans have some very good high end audio systems and it appears they will not let us use it unless we spend $1200.00 on their system.

Yes, wearing earplugs w/ definitely improve the audio quality of music coming from your Headset-RT radio. The extraneous wind noise will be blocked out and improve audio quality. Besides protecting you from severe hearing loss ( w/ out using ear plugs-protection) which is well documented.

Even if you don't use a headset, or listen to music. Hearing protection, ear plugs are a must.

Have fun and ride safe,

Steve

This post ought to be pinned somewhere

Found this and made the set up a snap once I noticed that in one of the pairing steps you push the PHONE button on the Sena and in another step you hit the JOG button after entering pairing mode.:banghead

Thanks,
Brent

Last edited:
Back