• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RAM mounting options for R100 GS - Looking For

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
Now that I have my airhead back on the road, I'm looking for an elegant method for mounting my existing RAM mounting hardware to the handlebars of my R100GS.

Just as I came up with this factory looking RAM ball installation for my R1150 GS Adeventure, has anybody come up with similar ideas for the R100 GS (I do not want a U-bolt mounting my RAM ball, just as I didn't on my GSA).

RAM-B-236%20Ball%20-%20Installed-M.jpg

The rest of the RAM mounting hardware that I use on my GSA will be used on my airhead GS.
Its the standard RAM 3 inch extension and RAM ball and GPS mount for my 60 Cx.
RAM-B-236%20Ball%20%26%20Garmin%20-%20Installed-M.jpg

I am looking at ZTechnik Z6011 where I would remove the top plate and install a RAM ball, but I have no idea what is under it that I can use.
Does anyone have one of these apart to post a pic of?
ZTechnik%20Z6011-M.jpg

Any other ideas or products of course are welcome.

I'm not sure why you're against

the U-Bolt mounts that attach to your handle bars. They are rock solid and don't vibrate. I would think that attaching to your hand guard would vibrate like crazy.

Just my two cents

I would think that attaching to your hand guard would vibrate like crazy.

The hand guard attach clamp on the GSA which is mounted to the handlebar, is rock solid. Not an issue.

I really do not like the look of a u-bolt (reminds me of a muffler clamp) which is why I came up with the arrangement on my GSA and I am looking for another neat idea someone else might have come up with for my airhead GS.

I had one of those Touratech's you pictured but could not locate it earlier...must have given it to someone. I believe the screw that holds the plate on is the size of the tiniest stud ball RAM has, which a 1/4-20 thread, think Touratechs metric?

Was looking for a cradle the other day and noticed RAM has a few new mounts.
http://www.mountinginnovations.com/index.htm No connection, just have used him before.

RAM-B-231Z-2U-sml.jpg

There is a kit w/u-bolt or a plastic covered stainless strap option. RAM-B-231Z-2U

Chrome-B-231U (Exploded).jpg

This would be good...except CHROME only if that is an issue. Chrome-B-231U

We also used the handguard mount like you did...the first try was on the guard itself, which did BUZZ a lot, the solid clamp was fine.

Last edited:
I had one of those Touratech's you pictured but could not locate it earlier...must have given it to someone. I believe the screw that holds the plate on is the size of the tiniest stud ball RAM has, which a 1/4-20 thread, think Touratechs metric?

You mean the ZTechnik Z6011? I thought it was made by them or maybe they just sell them?

I'm not too worried about the thread on the RAM ball. I'll probably use the same RAM ball I used for my GSA, cut the thread off, drill and tap it for what I need...probably an M6.

RAM-B-236%20-%20Original-S.jpg

RAM-B-236%20Ball%20-%20Tapped-S.jpg
RAM-B-236%20Ball%20-%20Stud-S.jpg

Was looking for a cradle the other day and noticed RAM has a few new mounts.
http://www.mountinginnovations.com/index.htm No connection, just have used him before.

Thanks for that link. I'll look there and the RAM site again...haven't been there in 10 years.

We also used the handguard mount like you did...the first try was on the guard itself, which did BUZZ a lot, the solid clamp was fine.

I can see it vibrating on the plastic guard itself, but if you mount it using my method, it is rock solid.

If anything flexes or vibrates, it is the extension (tighten it very snugly on the RAM balls) or the plastic GPS mount itself. My 60 Cx and camera (I have the same set-up on the right side for it) are as vibration free as can be...certainly more that the ripples in the road.

Thanks Steve,

The RAM-B-367U might work. It replaces one of the handlebar hold-down bolts. Just have to check what the collar diameter and length are on that ball.

RAM-B-367U1.jpg

I didn't see that setup...Looks like a possibility for one of my projects.

Yeah, The small screw on that Z tech(I did mis type TTech) top plate doesn't look robust enough for a heavier item like a GPS...to me anyways

nice mods on the mount :thumb

Back