• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650GS volt meter

fishbmw

Has anyone installed a volt meter on the F800/650GS yet? I was thinking of installing one to keep an eye on my stator and don't want to fry my electrical system.

If you don't want a large meter, there are a couple of companies that offer small LED indicators. about 1/4 inch diameter.

These go from red (discharge) to yellow (on the margin) to Green (charging...normal while running the engine). I have one of these,and like the small size ..and the important info.

Sorry I've forgotten the source and the exact voltage ranges. Maybe Aerostitch??

I have this one:

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...g-Battery-Voltage-Monitor-amp-amp-GPS-adapter

Tells me what I want to know in one small LED:

The LED shows system voltage level in 5 steps:

Flashing Green - Voltage Above 15.25 VDC - This prolonged over-voltage condition can destroy batteries, especially gel-cells.

Steady Green - Above 12.9

Steady Amber - Above 12.6

Steady Red - Above 12.1

Flashing Red - Below 12 VDC - During this condition, if the engine is running, do not shut down until service can be provided. Restart of engine is unlikely. Reduce electrical load.

As the pre-2013 F800s are prone to stator burnout I installed voltage monitors on our two bikes some years back. I installed this one:
http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

The other day it did its job alerting me to an intermittent low voltage condition. I had a stator and cover gasket on hand so it was only a day to repair myself.

BMW never did admit to this design fault, it just quietly changed the flywheel to provide better cooling in 2013.

I plan to convert to series type regulators this coming winter as they contribute less to stator heating.

I have read that the water-cooled 1200s and 1250s are having stator problems as well. This really should not have happened given the history of stator issues. On those bikes the entire engine must be removed to get to the stator. Huge cost if you can't do it yourself.

Here we see my apprentice "Thing" demonstrating that a winding has shorted to ground.

Stator shorted to ground.jpg

Back