• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GAS Fill ups

GAS situation when you fill up and you have to go to a pump with only one hose I have ask different places I have stopped just how much Regular gas do I get before the High test comes out the hose. So far no one has been able to give me an answer.So I have taken to pouring about an ounce or so of STP Octane Booster into a full tank.
Results have been very good motor runs much better mileage improved
just a thought.
John
K1200LTC
2002 Mauve
also a tip the new Armorall WAX IT DRY GEL works great did the whole bike then the car. Super

I simply look for the dedicated pumps, whenever possible, luckily there is one very close to my house, like 1.1 miles. I have found that BP has the highest probablity of having the discreet pumps.

I figure that when I am so low that I need to use a shared hose, a little rough running is better then a dead fuel pump.

I don't think it matters.I use regular more often than I use premium and I use midgrade sometimes too.The bike doesn't seem to care.04 K1200GT.Might be different with a high degree of alcohol(gasohol) or otherwise poor qualty fuel.

Octane

I remember reading quite a few years ago, an article in which the result of mixing two fuels of differing octane resulted in a fuel of higher octane than either of the original fuels.

Just my $.02,
Eric

Octane in Mix

Yeah, I read that too when I was doing a '67 vette 327/350 with like 11.0:1 compression that got 9 mpg. The article showed that with Premium Unleaded which has a really good stock base, the addition of even a small amount of LEADED regular boosted the octane 'way up. Don't think this applies with unleaded fuel mixes. I feed my old '71 Triumph a mix of 20% CAM2 to 80% 93 octane premium unleaded and it loves it.....plus the exhaust smell is delicious! Probably killing me, but what a way to go....

John

This question came up on the reader forum of Motorcycle Consumer News last year. Several petro guys reported in. As I recall (and after 65 memory is potentially unreliable) there can be up to about 0.4 gal in the system (valve, pump, hose, etc.) before you get what you selected.

That's not a problem for a car with a 15-gallon tank, but if you're just topping up a 5-gallon tank, it will make a small difference.

The good news is that most contemporary engines will run fine on regular. Older engines seem to like the high test stuff.

If it bothers you, fuel up where there are separate hoses. (although one interesting rumor is that all the lines feed from the same tank anyway)

pmdave :brow

Inquiring minds want to know

pmdave said:
(although one interesting rumor is that all the lines feed from the same tank anyway)

It seems like our membership ranks includes "one of everything" so wouldn't be surprised if someone here is/was a fuel hauler, gas station manager, or has a brother-in-law or neighbor who is.

So, do three different tanker trucks pull up, or does the tanker have three compartments?

If you look at the tankers closely, you will see more than one connector to empty them. If the guy driving it connects to the right storage tank, then you get hitest in the hitest tank. If not, then you get what you get.

I just read a lengthy article about this. Only two grades of fuel are supplied. In all cases, mid grade is always a mixture of the two. There is a special valve in the pump that mixes the mid grade just right (maybe this is why some very old stations only have high and low and no mid)

I'm sure you are always getting a little of what the last guy had at single hose pumps.

Not so certain about the theory of two grade mixed together make a higher grade, seems a little urban legend-ish to me.

Remember higher octane gas does not burn hotter or have more energy. It is a slower, more controlled burn. The slow burn resists detonation allowing you to have higher compression without the fear of auto ignition.

I like to use a little Blendzall Gold label octane booster with castor oil. It seems to work well and gives my bikes that extra fast smell

Back