• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

intermittant brake failure light 2007 R1200RT

azgman

Addicted to curves
I have a 2007 R1200RT and have started to get an intermittent brake failure light when driving. It is on solid, not flashing and has come on after riding for 20 minutes or so and then stays on until I let the bike sit with the engine off. Nothing seems to be obviously wrong, the brakes work OK, no leaking fluid, and the front and rear fluid levels are good. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
intermittant brake failure light

Remove the brake light cover. Pull the bulbs. I will bet one of the bulbs solder tips is deteriorated.
If so, you can sand the fused solder off the bulb socket and put in a new bulb. Happened on my 2008.

And before the moderator yells, change your title to include year, make and model.

Mine appeared as if it was arching across a bad connection, actually melting the solder off the positive bulb connection, onto the socket "spring". Compare the two bulbs you pull out. If you have the same problem, it'll be obvious.

Did I mention that I was 800 miles from home and totally ripped out my centech and relay, etc assuming something I wired was screwing up the brake light.
Lesson 1, start with the obvious. Sounds so simple now.

Anyway, hope yours is the same and an easy fix.

Thanks Lynn! I just took a look and I can see just what you described. I'll get new bulbs tomorrow and clean up the socket and let you know.

Isn't brake failure light related to the braking system, not the light? My 2011 R12RT has done that twice and I am puzzled.

Isn't brake failure light related to the braking system, not the light? My 2011 R12RT has done that twice and I am puzzled.

All I can do is relay my experience. AZgman and myself appear to have had the same problem and it was related to the rear brake light bulbs deteriorating.
It's been a while and my memory is fuzzy, but I am almost certain it was the brake failure light. If it had been the normal "bulb out" light I would have quickly identified the problem. However, it took a while for me to figure it out.

AZgman since your incident was more recent, was it the "bulb out" light, or the "Brake Failure" light?

Lynn

The brake light IS part of the braking system. A defective brake lamp generates the same sort of warning in my car.

I was getting the "brake failure" light on, not the bulb warning. (and the bulb was never out) Unfortunately, the issue has come back. I will tear into the bike next week.

I was getting the "brake failure" light on, not the bulb warning. (and the bulb was never out) Unfortunately, the issue has come back. I will tear into the bike next week.

I really had to work to get the melted bulb solder off the bulb socket "spring".
I thought about just replacing the socket.
It's only around $10 at the dealer. I just never got back to it.

Back