• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CO2 cartridges

paulj

Anyone have experience with these that come (came) in our bikes? I ask because they've sat in my tool kit for 13 years now never needed. This week a friend with his brand new R1200RT had a flat, and I was horrified to discover the kit has been decontented to basically a spark plug handle. I was on the Bonneville, and so had no plugs or cartridges with me. Fortunately another fellow had plugs and a little compressor.

Question is then, do the bottles really offer enough air for us, should I get a compressor, or is that overkill?

Opinions always welcome, but sure would like to hear from someone who has first hand knowledge of the cartridges.

I have used the CO2 cartridges during a training at my dealership - RIP - and found that while they work, there is some risk of not having enough of them. Especially if you don't do a great job plugging your tire. So I went out and picked up a $10 pump at Wally World and took it out of its too big plastic case and keep it on the bike.

Thanks Brad. That's the consensus over on the 1150R board as well. Guess I might as well do that now rather than wait until it's a bit too late.

Not enough

I just had a flat this weekend had CO2 with me three did get high enough so I could ride to a gas station, but not enough if there wasn't one around. I'm ordering one this week for A&S cycles

To answer your question, I don't know if your original C02 cartridges are still good, but I would replace them. Three cans will fill the front tire enough to get you down the road and four is good for the rear tire. So, you should carry at least four cans. You can improperly plug the tire and waste a can seeing if the plug held. So, carry five cans. If you're not used to plug'n the tire you can easily mess it up two or three times before you get it right, so carry six or seven C02 cans. I'd carry a small bicycle-type pump,too.

Seriously, I'd carry at least four cans. Or five.

BTW, I just got the Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger and tried it out on an old tire. This is a great kit and is much easier to use than the standard BMW kit. If you are going to stick with the BMW kit, remember to ream the hole really well and when you pull that plugger out to seat the plug, pull the plugger out quickly, so that the black plug (Is that a German IUD?) slips out from the plugger and stays in the hole.

Pumps, plugs, and pressure cans

Well, first I got a stop&go kit. Then I Wallyworlded a pump, tore off the case etc. etc.

THEN I had my bike parked at a campground for 4 days or so and was down 5 pounds front and rear. I tendered into the nearest station (about 5 miles) and discovered they had no air. So I opened my saddle bag, opened the liner, opened the case I keep the compressor in, plugged it in and aired my tires. Now only being about 40* that day I didn't think I'd be dripping in sweat by the time I finished , but I was. Probably because I was dressed for riding at 40*

My current kit is a inflator from a bike shop, and about 15 cartriges (really.) Cartridges are about 50 cents each at Wallyworld and I figure that's what the use of the compressor cost at most gas stations these days. I check my tires EVERY day I ride (read; anal about tires) and I'm pleased with the ease, quickness, and simplicity of the system. I'd never say this is a better system than others but I'm trading convience for a few bucks, and a few bucks on a bike trip is not worth the hassles for me. The other thing that turned me was the cartriges and inflator are about the exact size as the stripped out compressor. I think if I did serious off road I'd carry my compressor. YMMV :bikes

Back