• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helite Electronic Vest

Back2Maiden

Hey All,
I read a recent post (https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...lite-Turtle2&p=1258613&viewfull=1#post1258613) about the Helite Turtle 2 {mechanical vest} having a fellow rider hit (not tapped), from behind by a RAV4 driver not paying attention, walking away from an accident with no injuries, including bruises. It triggered me to reach out Helite regarding a status update on their electronic vest. I like the mechanical option but since I struggle to strap in my helmet but never forget my electronics I prefer an electonic vest.

Here is the response I received:
While we are looking forward to the official US release of the electronic HELITE Airbag options we have been faced with issues delaying the launch, unfortunately.

There are 2 separate issues! The first one is to acquire the FCC approval to launch the electronic vests in the US. It has taken much longer than anticipated as you can tell. The electronic vests made for the US market had to be slightly modified and differ from the units sold in Europe. The 2nd issue is the supply shortage for crucial parts of the electronic vests. Especially the electronic components are impossible to get at the moment due to worldwide supply shortages caused by the pandemic.

We urge all US customers to NOT purchase E-Vests from overseas as that will create many issues. First of all, we (HELITE MOTO) will not be able to service or warrant vests being purchased from Europe or outside of the US. Additionally, the vests being sold in Europe do NOT have the required FCC approval that is needed for usage in the US. In fact, companies selling these vests to the US violate their affiliation with HELITE by doing so. Lastly, we will not be able to provide replacement parts for vests purchased from outside the US.

Yes, it is all extremely frustrating as we have planned a rollout of this particular product line for the last 2 years. Despite the frustration we are eagerly looking forward to the release and will make sure to notify all riders that are interested in the HELITE E-Vests. The easiest way to be notified is to send an email directly to me at patrick@helitemoto.com

That email address can be used for any HELITE related inquiries.​

Helite E-Turtle 2

So, I came across the e-turtle 2 in a review on Youtube.

I've been thinking of getting an airbag system but didn't like the tether operated ones, like the original Helite Turtle.

Of the electronic ones that I have seen:

The Alpinestars one requires return to a service center after a deployment (which I don't like) and is to be worn under a jacket (so the jacket has to be somewhat loose) which I don't like;

The KLIM one has that weird subscription model for the electronics (which I didn't like, but also has a one-time purchase option - which is ok) and seems to be intended to be worn under a jacket (which I don't like) and, as far as I can tell, is user serviceable after a deployment. The Alpinestars and KLIM (with the one time purchase option) are about the same price; and

The Helite e-turtle 2 seems to hit my sweet spot. It's intended to worn over a jacket, it deploys electronically, and it is user serviceable after a deployment. Again, it's about the same price as the Klim and Alpinestars ones. It has one interesting optional feature which is a fork mounted sensor. From what I can see, the fork mounted sensor senses the motorcycle's speed and direction of travel and compares it to the riders speed and direction of travel. Apparently, this allows the electronics to activate more quickly - or in circumstances where the rider separates from the motorcycle (T-bone, Rear Ended - Deer Strike?) which seems like a major advantage.

Is anyone using an e-turtle or e-turtle 2? If so, did you get the fork sensor? Have you ever had it deploy?

The idea that it might help in a deer strike is very attractive to me. I'd like to know what someone that owns one thinks.

After lots of research, I went with the KLIME vest. You pay half of the full purchase price, rent the brain for 3 years, and they give you a NEW brain after the three years is up. Plus you can suspend the payments in winter when you are not riding. Can't beat that!

Wearing the vest under the jacket makes perfect sense as it protects the deployed air bag from abrasion while you tumble and slide. The vest is reasonably light, compact and I forget I have it on most time. It is field serviceable for three deployments, then needs to be sent back in for inspection. A new cartridge is around $100 USD.

Just one mans humble opinion, but I don't understand the issues with the KLIME subscription model. Most of us have paid hundreds for our phone or satellite emergency locating gizmos, and pay a monthly fee for service?

Not a debate on airbags...

I didn't want to start a debate on whether air bags are worthwhile or not. Personally, I think I'm past that now. I'm trying to decide which one I might get.

So, Ryan F9 only discusses the tether-activated Helite system. I know I am not interested in a tether system (for example, I don't think it would help with a deer strike - or at least not until you are separated from the bike).

I'm only considering the "computer activated" models of air bag and the Helite E-turtle has my interest because it also has the optional fork sensor. Helite says it cuts activation time in half, and detects "more accidents" - by which I assume they mean they can detect more circumstances in which the bag should deploy - and that has me wondering about deer strikes, etc.
https://en.helite.com/airbag-technologies/electronic-airbag-system/motorcycle-electronic-systems/

I'm really interested in hearing from someone who has one (or even moreso who has one that has been activated).

I still think my AlpineStars vests are the way to go. If I get in a crash.... my INSURANCE takes care of any of the gear damaged.... including replacing canisters!!

I'm really interested in hearing from someone who has one (or even moreso who has one that has been activated).

Bob, I have one... I have the Dainese Smart Jacket: https://www.dainese.com/us/en/motor...MIzqX7uJzP_AIVDBitBh1sCwXuEAAYASABEgJkv_D_BwE . Easy to use, simple to understand. Thankfully, mine has not been "activated". Klim, Alpinestars, and others available have different features. My opinion is buy the one with the features that you like and you can't go wrong. Better than not having one during an undesired get-off.

So, Ryan F9 only discusses the tether-activated Helite system. I know I am not interested in a tether system (for example, I don't think it would help with a deer strike - or at least not until you are separated from the bike).

Actually, the video also discussed the major pros and cons of tether vs. computer activated systems (in a most amusing way). While it wouldn't deploy until you are separated from the bike, I think the major risk of a deer strike would be in the crash afterward, not the immediate moment of impact with the deer (I've seen videos of Helite's deploying in accidents due to deer strikes - i.e., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaykzE7P_XE).

Like Ryan F9, I'm keeping my tether-activated Helite system. YMMV

Actually, the video also discussed the major pros and cons of tether vs. computer activated systems (in a most amusing way). While it wouldn't deploy until you are separated from the bike, I think the major risk of a deer strike would be in the crash afterward, not the immediate moment of impact with the deer (I've seen videos of Helite's deploying in accidents due to deer strikes - i.e., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaykzE7P_XE).

Like Ryan F9, I'm keeping my tether-activated Helite system. YMMV

I'll be keeping my tethered Helite turtle 2 as well

I can recall three instances where a MotoGP rider’s air vest deployed while the rider was in control of the bike. Two were caused by the rider celebrating a win by pumping his arms, standing and vigorously moving around. The third was caused by a near high side where the rider came close to being ejected but stayed on the bike which went into a severe wobble before regaining control. There are also times where an air vest has failed to deploy during a get off. I know there are many differences between a race environment and a air vest system designed for racing, but the point is that the technology can and will fail at some small but predictable rate. The major potential failure point of a tethered air vest is the rider failing to snap onto the tether.

Bob,
On April 4th at 23:00 coming home from work I hit a deer at 50mph. The bike went down hard left, I was wearing a tethered Helite 1 vest over my BMW GS riding ensemble. It activated I slid/rolled 73 feet, I stood up with minor bruising. Bike totaled. The Helite deployed and activated no broken bones, or punctured lungs- back, hips, and neck all fully protected.

I bought my Helite tethered system after careful analysis of the products available back in 2016, before Ryan made his video, and we came to the same conclusion mutually exclusive of one another. I used to be an ALSE officer for the Army and I was waiting for the electronic non tethered technology to arrive, but when I compared the two options I went with the tethered option, and it saved my life.

90A367B3-F148-4B70-84D3-6535AF9D5E02.jpg

Thanks

I have been following this thread and thanks to all who so far have written. I am recovering from an accident which has made me decide to include an airbag system into my new riding gear. So far, I have narrowed it down to two candidates, Hellite and Klim.

The electronic versus tether systems doesn't figure much I can see pros and cons for both systems. I do however prefer to have the vest under a jacket rather than over. Reece's pictures of his "used" vest persuade me further in that direction.
Yeah, the Helite can be repacked but I don't think he is going to be repacking that one. To be honest, yes, it is a pain if the vest goes off by accident to repack some of them, but in all honesty for my three accidents, the vests would have looked like Reece's and would be trash.

LOL, not to say a vest worn under a jacket would fair any better but I hope if I do buy one, I never have to find out.

Helite by the way makes a very nice touring style jacket with the bag built in. I purchased one only to find it wouldn't fit me in the gray color. I am not much of a black jacket person so unless I can'f figure out an alternate, the jacket is on hold. I have time to figure out what to buy, between injury and weather, my riding days are over for a bit. St.

I'm planning to add an airbag vest to my gear this year too and have also been debating the tether vs electronic types. I like the idea of the simplicity of a tether, but also dislike the need to attach the tether to the bike and have the slack dangling loose somewhere and of course remembering to connect it. Electronic is an issue with the batteries and turning it on and so on. No perfect solution either way.

I'm OK with the vest over the jacket type as they seem to provide a bit better protection to the neck by acting as a brace when inflated. I've not seen much data on the under the jacket types for this, but it seems like it would be less effective due to the restriction of the jacket. As for the damage to the vest in an accident, if the vest was damaged beyond reuse, then it did its job. If the vest was protected by the jacket, then the jacket would probably be ruined instead, though it would likely suffer damage to the uncovered areas like the arms with an outer vest. In either case, gear is being sacrificed for protection of the body. The best case scenario is to never have to find out.

Klim

My understanding and research into the Klim vest is it provides the same coverage as the Helite but, unlike the Helite is supposed to be worn under an appropriate Jacket. The Helite Jacket airbag has the same coverage as the turtle vest.

The jacket is very nicely made, perhaps comparable to Aerostich or a good touring jacket in that price range. I just wish they made the gray one in a larger size. St.

The tethered vs electronic debate can be bit of a conundrum. Both have their pros and cons. Apart from the battery life issues on the electronic ones, there is the algorithms electronic vests use. About a year ago, I remember watching a review of an electronic air bag vest, and the review got off the bike and end up spinning around, which set off the vest. It surprised him. He contacted the manufacturer (sorry, I don't remember the brand of the vest) and they indicated the spinning matched the algorithm of a get off. Not saying electronic vests are bad or inferior to a tethered one, just that they take a different kind of precautions than the tethered ones. Also, I'm sure manufacturers are constantly improving their algorithms, so issues like those will be less frequent.

Most likely they use an accelerometer with the vest. The technology has become very easy to integrate. Think of your phone coming to life (awake) when you pick it up.

OM

Most likely they use an accelerometer with the vest. The technology has become very easy to integrate. Think of your phone coming to life (awake) when you pick it up.

OM

True, but it's distinguishing between a get off and what seems like a get off is where the algorithm is the issue.

True, but it's distinguishing between a get off and what seems like a get off is where the algorithm is the issue.

My guess is that it detects speed of movement. Moving slow should be fine. Jumping on or off may be faster than the vests like. I doubt that it is externally adjustable.
OM

Back