• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Deep / wide lid bags

How much wider, do the deep lids on the system cases make the rear of the motorcycle ?...any pictures out there ?

I'm considering the change, and would just like to be sure they don't look horrible !

Thanks

For the system case from the R1100 / 1150 era,

closeup+20lids1251760332.gif

( stolen from: http://www.evolutioncycles.com/product info.htm )

Thanks a-bunch !

WOW! they are quite a bit wider. The extra room would be welcomed, I suppose you'd get used to the appearance difference ?

I gotta think about this...

When we bought our K1200RSs from Engle Motors I thought I wanted the large lids to make up for the half size left bag. The owner told me we probably would not like the looks and got a set out and held them in place for us to check out. Norman was right and we decided in one second to pass on the large lids.

bikerfish1100 said:
reason why this should have been posted in Oilheads, as the question really is (pretty much) Oilhead specific

For me it doesn't matter if the large lids are used on a K, Oilhead, or whatever, they look too big. That is only my opinion, others may think they look fine. I think Motorrad is a good location for the thread because these bags are used on more than Oilheads.
If you can live with the looks, you can pack a lot of stuff in them.

Handlebars;

My GSA1200 has BIG bags by Jesse and my handlebars were my guide. I do not want'em wider than the bars. I think the bags wider than your bars is a issue waiting to happen, as you hit things with your bags. Some bikes are much skinnier and it takes little to pass this mark with big bags. Just watch your space. Randy

How much wider, do the deep lids on the system cases make the rear of the motorcycle ?...any pictures out there ?

I'm considering the change, and would just like to be sure they don't look horrible !

Thanks

So, what you are really asking is: "Do these bags make my butt look fat?"

Probably. I've learned not to answer questions like that.

The question should be: "How much stuff do I need to carry?"

Larry

When parked, expensive full face helmets and other atgatt are easily stashed away out a site with big lids; which can be a nice feature at times. :groovy

While I originally wanted the big lids, I have bumped enough stuff with the standard lids. (like my car and trailer while trying to slip between them into the garage) I'll strap down a bag or add a top box before I make the bike any wider.

While I originally wanted the big lids, I have bumped enough stuff with the standard lids.

I have the fat lids and in three years have yet to bump anything. One day I'll get a standard set of lids for just short runs, but for touring, the large lids do pack a lot. Despite the extra cost, their construction could be better. Once, and only once, I opened an empty case and it dropped down, and although tethered by the inside strap, the snap inside broke off. PC plumbing glue repaired the problem but nevertheless, I was disappointed with the inherent weakness of button location.

I have the fat lids and in three years have yet to bump anything. One day I'll get a standard set of lids for just short runs, but for touring, the large lids do pack a lot. Despite the extra cost, their construction could be better. Once, and only once, I opened an empty case and it dropped down, and although tethered by the inside strap, the snap inside broke off. PC plumbing glue repaired the problem but nevertheless, I was disappointed with the inherent weakness of button location.

Any chance you could post a pic of the bike with them in place?

I have all three sizes for my '04K1200GT,and use them all. I took off the city lids and put on the extra large ones to go to the MOA rally. The extra room is great for rally footwear(showershoes,sneakers) so you don't have to wear boots all the time. Remember only22lbs per bag no matter what size lid.

Any chance you could post a pic of the bike with them in place?

Here is a friend's picture of the bike from last summer. From the side, they look like normal panniers. Wish I had a second set of bags for use when not touring.

Attachments

• Bob's Pictures 352.jpg
    Bob's Pictures 352.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 48
Here is a friend's picture of the bike from last summer. From the side, they look like normal panniers. Wish I had a second set of bags for use when not touring.

Thanks !...funny, in that shot they do not look [that] much wider!

I'm going to shop price, it would be nice to have the extra room.

I have a Givi 52 trunk, but never have been a trunk 'fan' I like roomy bags, and a smaller trunk, or even a soft bag.

Back