• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Threads or Website for Airhead Model discussions?

zenduddhist

I have a 1975 R90/6 that I have been refurbishing, cleaning up, etc. I really like reading about all of the projects that everyone is doing with different airheads.

I was wondering if anyone knows of threads or other websites that have an outline of all the various airhead models along with the pros and cons of each model. It would be cool to have a resource where a person could refer to if they see a bike for sale and wondered about it's various quirks, downsides, advantages, desirablity, etc. Say, for instance, I see a 1993 R100R for sale and want to know more about it. Is it highly desirable, and known problems, etc.

Thanks!

Snowbum discusses it here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/models.htm

That's about the only place that I can think that has this type of thing published. Oak Okleshen oftens writes about the things which he considers as make certain bike years the ones to avoid...I suspect he has a tech list which he'd be glad to sell you. This type of thing comes up a lot on the Airheads email list...Joe 'Cuda has also provided his thoughts as to what are the years to avoidl

It's not that difficult.

The 1993, for example, is better than any airhead produced previously. There were no significant improvements in the remaining years of the Airhead.

BMW doesn't do annual model changes, so changes that do occur are always improvements.

Basically there are three things of significance

1. The difference between pre-1981 bikes and 1981-on bikes.

2. The difference between the "big" bikes and the G/S and ST and the GS and R bikes.

3. The difference between pre-1985 bikes and 1985-on bikes.

Pre 1981 bikes had awful brakes, really heavy flywheels, points ignition, and iron-lined cylinders. 1981-on bikes got modern brakes and ignition and a reasonable flywheel and nikasil cylinders. These were all really significant improvments, rendering the older bikes farm equipment in comparison.

The G/S and ST and the follow-on GS and R are much more nimble, sporty bikes than the mainstream big bikes. So are the easily ignored 1st generation R65.

The mainstream bikes got signficant frame and suspension improvements beginning 1985. When the 1000s came back in 1987, BMW undid the "big valve" heads mistake and the poor valve seat materials mistake.

There are some subtle differences in years--again simple running changes--within the groups and newest is always best, but the real revolutions occurred in 1981 and 1985 and with the introduction of the "enduro" models and their sister "street" versions.

It's not that difficult.

The 1993, for example, is better than any airhead produced previously. There were no significant improvements in the remaining years of the Airhead.

Agreed.

There's a few US-spec R100R nuances:

All R100Rs had four-pot front disc calipers. They work very well. The 1992 model had a single front disc brake. The 1993, 1994 and 1995 later models all had a twin disc set-up. I have read reports where riders say that with the single disc the, by modern standards relatively small diameter, fork stanchions can "walk" under heavy braking.

The 1994 and 1995 model year "Mystics" differ to the "normal" R100R in the instrument treatment, front fender, seat and seat cowl styling, and handlebars that were much flatter and with a lot less pull back than the earlier years.

Thanks alot for the replies! I am going to start a new thread specifically about R100R's. I would sure appreciate you guys looking at it and commenting if you feel so inclined.

Which R100R for a purchase?

Hi All,

The only airhead I own is a 1975 R90/6. I would like to get an R100R. As I understand, that would be years 1991-1995. Can you all please give me your comments, opinions, critiques, etc. on what year you would focus on? Any particular year to stay away from or are they all about the same.

I had another thread going but was told I should start a new thread and make my title more specific. Good point...:thumb

Thanks,

Chris

Back