• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

07 F650GS Windshield Upgrade?

runnr548

BMW Pilot
Just bought an 07 F650GS and looking to replace the sorry excuse for a windshield that came on the bike. Any suggestions as to what is good and what to avoid for one?

The stock Dakar windshield looks like it is a lot more protection than the stock F650GS windshield. I replaced mine a couple years ago with a tall touring replacement from ZTechnik mainly because the curled lip at the top of the stock Dakar windshield produces buffeting at highway speed.

It is a big improvement over the stock windshield and eliminated the buffeting.

I am 6'2" though, so it does not keep me completely out of the wind, it hits me about the top of the visor, but worth the upgrade.

I bought from a BMW dealer. They told me that ZTechnik makes a lot of the OEM windshields for BMW. Looks to my like they only make replacements for BMW.

The stock Dakar windshield looks like it is a lot more protection than the stock F650GS windshield. I replaced mine a couple years ago with a tall touring replacement from ZTechnik mainly because the curled lip at the top of the stock Dakar windshield produces buffeting at highway speed.

It is a big improvement over the stock windshield and eliminated the buffeting.

I am 6'2" though, so it does not keep me completely out of the wind, it hits me about the top of the visor, but worth the upgrade.

I bought from a BMW dealer. They told me that ZTechnik makes a lot of the OEM windshields for BMW. Looks to my like they only make replacements for BMW.

ZTechnik is a sub brand of National Cycle. National Cyccle made the OEM touring shield for the R1150R, and several others too.

Just bought an 07 F650GS and looking to replace the sorry excuse for a windshield that came on the bike. Any suggestions as to what is good and what to avoid for one?

Visit the Chain Gang site (www.f650.com) They have reviews of several different wind screens and many other accessories. Great site for maintenance info as well.

My wife has a Wunderlich screen on her 07, and has some of the Saeng Micro Swirl on it as well. She's been happy with it.

Thanks to all!

There are a lot of resources out there and we are checking them out. Thank you all for your input! :thumb

I just ordered the Madstad system for my 07 Dakar.

I looked at that system when I was shopping for a "winter" shield for my Dakar. I tried both Ztechnik touring shields and settled on the low touring screen (purchased used). Personally, I am ready to try the Ermax.

I couldn't bear the idea of breaking a $300 screen in a get off...

i-GDjCMm9-L.jpg

Installed the Madstad system last week.
Well worth the money if you want the best in protection, very little buffeting and the adjustable feature is excellent.

a>

I added additional wind fences to the sides, it made a big difference in reducing noise and turbulence.

a>

Another great feature is that the windshield itself is attached with wing nuts which makes for quick and easy removal for cleaning. Also very easy to adjust lower for the "off road" days.

IMHO it is by far the best out there if you want "visor up" comfortable riding.

a>

Back