• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT Brake Failure light flashing

gnrogers

Hi folks,
I have a 2002 R1150RT with the brake failure light flashing (once per second), which I think means that the brake test failed to complete. Also, the battery appears very weak, so I took the left side fairing off, removed the battery, and discovered that the acid level was below the low mark. Could the brake failure light be related or caused by a weak battery or are these two problems not related? I've had the bike only a short time, so still trying to figure out "stuff" on my own before taking it to a beemer dealer ($$$$!) Many thanks in advance!
Glenn

if you are talking about a red triangle light with an ! in the middle of it- that is a bulb warning lamp. means a tail light bulb is out, at least some of the time.
If you are talking about your ABS lights flashing, that could well be a battery issue.
what did your owner's manual say about it?

ABS light flashing. I think it must be the weak battery causing the abs brake light to flash. In your opinion are the gel batteries worth the price, especially for the convenience of not having to take the fairing off to add water?

Low voltage will cause the ABS to flash an error code. I would recommend getting a gel battery & the correct type of battery charger for gel type batteries. I put a PC Odyssey 680 (not 100% sure of the part #) in my 02 RT and it's worked fine for the last 5 years.

Odssey battery for BMW

re: Odssey battery--I went to website and since it comes with male adapters, then is it correct that it comes ready to hook up to the BMW? Also, I assume you would still keep it connected to a battery tender when not riding? Again, many thanks for answering! Please pardon my "dumb questions.

I installed an Odyssey PC680 in 2006 and have kept the battery tender on during winter storage. I run a GPS and use heated gear. Have been very happy, itÔÇÖs still holding a charge perfectly!

One of the features of the Odyssey AGM battery is that if it is fully charged when you put the bike up for winter and you remove the negative cable from the battery to eliminate parasitic drain from the clock and ECU there is no need to keep it on a trickle charger. These batteries hold a charge MUCH longer than a lead acid or a gel cell.

Get it from the horse's mouth here: http://www.odysseybattery.com/batteries.html

The table comparing regular vs AGM batteries is interesting.

Odssey PC 680 battery

Thanks to everyone who replied. I ordered the battery this evening. The winter is gone (I hope!) and it's time to ride!

Odssey PC 680 update

Well, I finally got around to installing the battery; a very tight fit I might add. Also, ran into problem with negative ground wire. The bolt on the negative side was non-removable and attached to the wire, and there was a right angle bracket that interfered with putting the negative battery cable onto the angle adapter supplied by Odssey. Bike starts and runs good, but ABS light is still flashing. Now I'm thinking there really is a brake problem. Could low fluid cause the flashing brake light (the rectangular one under the triangle warning light). I've misplaced my owners manual so not sure what's going on. Any suggestions as to where to start? Is the rear brake reservoir visible without taking the right side fairing off? Many thanks!:scratch

Flashing abs light

After asking about checking the brake fluid in the rear reservoir I took a look (duh) and realized that you can see the fluid level by taking the triangular panel off. Both front and rear fluid levels look about right, so I'm guessing I have a brake pad problem (?). Perhaps my sight isn't as good as it was earlier in life, but I have a hard time seeing the brake pad thickness (probably another "duh "). Guess I need to remove the caliper and measure the pad thickness, huh? Could the problem also be that the brake fluid is old and needs bleeding and replacing? I haven't purchased a Mighty-Vac bleeder yet. I did ride the beemer for about 30 minutes this afternoon, and before I pull out of my driveway the flashing abs light went out. One other correction that I said in the last message--actually the triangular light is below the abs (rectangular light). I keep the bike covered, so I sometimes forget where things are. I have owned many bikes in the past, including 3 BMW's, but it's not fun just having purchased a bike, and instead of enjoying riding it (which I have a little), I'm trying to troubleshoot the brake problem. Very frustrating! I'm hoping to do some of the preventative maintenance myself, so having this forum is a life saver.

After asking about checking the brake fluid in the rear reservoir I took a look (duh) and realized that you can see the fluid level by taking the triangular panel off. Both front and rear fluid levels look about right, so I'm guessing I have a brake pad problem (?). Perhaps my sight isn't as good as it was earlier in life, but I have a hard time seeing the brake pad thickness (probably another "duh "). Guess I need to remove the caliper and measure the pad thickness, huh? Could the problem also be that the brake fluid is old and needs bleeding and replacing? I haven't purchased a Mighty-Vac bleeder yet. I did ride the beemer for about 30 minutes this afternoon, and before I pull out of my driveway the flashing abs light went out. One other correction that I said in the last message--actually the triangular light is below the abs (rectangular light). I keep the bike covered, so I sometimes forget where things are. I have owned many bikes in the past, including 3 BMW's, but it's not fun just having purchased a bike, and instead of enjoying riding it (which I have a little), I'm trying to troubleshoot the brake problem. Very frustrating! I'm hoping to do some of the preventative maintenance myself, so having this forum is a life saver.

First of all it sounds like changing the battery has fixed your ABS warning light problem. There is only one light for the ABS and if it went off after you rode a short distance this is as it should be. It does a self test and you can hear a pronounced whine and sort of clicking noise when it completes and engages and the light goes off. All normal.

Fluid condition, brake pad thickness and air or moisture in the lines will affect performance but will not make the ABS light show an error. Only the malfunction of the ABS pump or an ABS wheel sensor will do this as far as I know.

Checking pad thickness is finicky for some but once you see where the notches are cut into the BMW OWM pads it is dead easy. The front brakes can be checked by turning the steering fully one way and the other to check both sides. The rear brake is a bit harder but if you get your head right down in there close to the wheel and look forward at the rear of the pads it can be done on the bike.

I've attached the BMW factory manual brake maintenance section. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• BMW_R1100(RT-RS-GS-R)_Repair_Manual_Brakes.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 70
Brake Light Flashing

Many thanks. The bike rides fine. I just hope that it's not a bad abs pump, as I've read that they can be very expensive.

Hi GN,

The best way to see the thickness of the brake pads is with a small mirror and a bright flashlight. The mirror can go where your head will not. You can bounce the light off the mirror onto the pads.

Hi GN,

The best way to see the thickness of the brake pads is with a small mirror and a bright flashlight. The mirror can go where your head will not. You can bounce the light off the mirror onto the pads.

Yeah that'll work. I remember being frustrated the first time I tried to check mine. I could not make out those wear indicator indents at all. After I pulled the pads off the first time I realized how easy it was when you know where they are. Now I can just look at the metal edge of the pads in relation to the metal edge of the rotor and I know if they are worn.

Brake light flashing

As I understand my 1150rt's situation, one reason the light flashes is if the brake pads are too thin. As I've stated before, as soon as I drive off the brake failure light goes out, and when I press the brake I hear a brief "whining" sound (not sure how to describe it other than "whining"), then I hear a clicking sound. According to the info on the sticker with brake codes under the seat several fast flashes followed by one flash per second means brake test has failed to complete. Next step: check brake pads. Am I right so far? Update coming soon as to brake pad thicknesses!:sick

Brake light flashing

Ever think of taking it in to a dealer? :dunno There's no sin in supporting this network of businesses that make it possible for us to enjoy what many of us consider to be the best bikes available.

I'm an amatuer wrench....nothing better. I can change tires, oil, FD oil, alternator belt, valve adjustment, fuel filter and minor electrical, but when it comes to brakes (especially ABS brakes), they get the attention of a professional.

Going fast is fun, but stopping when you need to can be a heck of a thrill, too!!!

You've already bought a battery and that didn't solve the problem.

Another advantage of taking it in to the shop is that they will probably have a manual, or manuals, for your bike!!

My suggestion........get it fixed, right, and then get out and start enjoying some motorcycle therapy instead of wondering if the bike's going to stop the next time a knucklehead on a cell phone pulls into your lane!

Just my 2 cents.

Flashing ABS light

I called Capitol BMW shop foreman today, which I should have done weeks ago. After I explained flashing brake failure light he explained that it's normal for it to flash until you drive off (which is what someone on this forum had already told me!), ; that if it goes out as soon as the wheels start turning, and thus activate the wheel sensors, then everything is ok. Man am I relieved! I've made an appt. with him to flush brake system the middle of this month, and while it's expensive as the dickens, at least I will know that it is done right. After that I may venture out and flush the system myself in a year or so. Even though I haven't had any work done by Capitol BMW I really believe they are a good dealer. At least John, the service manager has been very helpful. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. As soon as it stops raining I'll be hitting the road, and not afraid of the brakes anymore.:clap

Back