• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Three piece oil rings

8ninety8

Anyone use these items? Supposed to be way better than Stock one piece rings. Don't know who makes them, just that they are available. Before I buy new rings, want to do it right. '74, 900, first over.

My info is pretty old...I bought Luftmeister 3-piece oil rings about 30 years ago. I thought I had an oil use that seemed too much and figured the new rings would do the job. I don't think the oil use changed much one way or the other.

Oil Rings

All the Car oil rings I have used have been 3 pieces.

Come to think of it never seen a 1 piece oil Ring:scratch

My old oil rings, /6, are one piece and before I order out new old ones, may as well move on over to latest technology? Thought three piece rings have been around since before the /6?

The 3 piece oil rings were unheard of prior to the bump to 1000cc. That reduced crankcase volume to the point of becoming an issue. I put them on my R90/6 thinking it was "better". They worked fine, but so did the original one piece rings.

If and when I pull the cylinders on my R100, I will likely just leave it stock. I upgraded to the 81+ oil pan and keep the oil level half way up the dip stick and have not had any issues with oil mist.

3 piece oil rings?? Not necessary but causes no problems. Do as you will.

If you think you have an oil misting issue, make sure your breather valve is copacetic and leave the oil level somewhat lower than full.

rings break in

Thanx all, ordered the three piece rings, can't hurt to give it a try, I too run a three quart pan at half full. I've been told that the first 15 seconds on a dry cylinder pretty much breaks in the rings. The up and back down action on throttle for the next ten miles cements the deal. Some guys really wack it wide open up and down, hard, I'm not taking it over 4500 for, say, the first 500 miles? Guess rings continue breaking in for thousands miles thereafter.

That first 15-45 seconds should be at an elevated RPM, say 3K. Once the cylinder walls get varnished from the oil, the wearing of the rings slows down, so those first few seconds are pretty critical. Change oil fairly often up to the first 500 miles. On my /2, I changed after the first 20 mile run, then 100, 250, and 500. Changing oil on the /2 is more important because of the lack of an oil filter.

I've used the three piece oil rings a couple of times to good success - but it was with aftermarket ring sets, not just to replace the oil ring. The first time was in a 900 with Deves rings almost twenty years ago. More recently I replaced the rings in my 850 R65LS with Hastings. I'm quite pleased with the results.

Last edited:
I really think the 3 piece rings are superior to the original rings, but you have to be very careful when inatalling them. The end pieces of the center or expansion ring has a tendency to overlap the ends when put under pressure. Be sure this does not happen or you will use more oil than ever. Seems like the last ring sets I got came from San Jose BMW & seemed to be high quality parts. I also ran a non detergent light weight oil for the first 500 miles to help the rings seat quicker. It seemed to help.

Back