• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rukka APR trousers

mconrad

A few weeks ago I bought the Rukka APR3 jacket. I liked the jacket so much I decided to get a pair of Rukka trousers. When choosing Rukka gear, you decide whether it's more important to be comfortable in warm weather or to have rain protection all the time. Basically, Rukka makes two types of riding gear: stuff with Gor-tex in the outer layer, or stuff with a Gore-tex liner. Obviously the choice depends largely on the type of climate in which you do most of your riding. I went with the APR3 jacket because I live in California where the weather is usually sunny and warm. I was okay with the idea of a separate liner for waterproofing and warmth. The trousers are another story. I don't want to have to stop on the road and drop my drawers if it starts to rain. With APR trousers, you can choose (among others) the APR3 trousers that have a separate gore-tex liner. Or you can choose the APR Force trousers (my choice) that have the Gore-tex as part of the trousers. They come with liners, but they're strictly for cold weather. Although I just received them the other day, I'm impressed. They're very comfortable, fit well and the CE pads are extremely comfortable. I highly recommend them. The brochure says they're also comfortable in warm weather. I have a pair of Darien trousers, and they don't even come close. In fact, they're for sale (size 32 long).

I've got the Rukka AirPower stuff as well. I choose the zip out waterproof liners for both. It's definitely a hassle removing your pants on the side of the road to zip in the liner but it's nice having air flowing over your legs when it gets really hot.

Most riding suits don't have vented pants and not many people complainÔÇöI went for years using an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit and didn't notice warm legsÔÇöso, pants with an integrated waterproof liner might be a good compromise between comfort and functionality.

Personally, if it looks like rain I'll just leave the liner in the pants. It's no hotter than a suit with the waterproof liner always in the pants and I have the option of pulling the liner out when I can. I also wear a pair of bicycle shorts under the pants so I can drop them anywhere. ;)

When I'm touring I carry an extra rain suit so I have that option when I get caught in a sudden storm. It's much quicker to throw it on over the suit. And then I don't have to worry about dropping my pants.

Michael

Rukka Riding Pants

I have an older Rukka jacket and this winter decided to buy the APR3 pants with the removable liner. Like Michael, I carry rain pants (along with the liners?). I live in Georgia and found the pants worked down to 45 degreees with the liner and polypro underwear. I'm also very happy with the pants. Good protection and cooler in the summer, needed in Georgia. They seem to fit pretty well and look good. They cost about $320 during a winter closeout, kinda expensive. But I only need one pair of riding pants all year around.
Frank

any good on-line source for the Rukka apparel?

Is there a good web sight for info on the Rukka Line and where is the product line made?
thanks for the info!
Ride safe
Jerry

Back