• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hyper lites vs. Skene lites?

gene36542

I've researched both and own the BMW supplemental light. Has anyone experience with BOTH the Hyper & Skene lites to give me a good comparison of each ones merits and disadvantages?

Hyperlites vs. Skenes

I have had Hyperlites on a 2005 R1200RT and a 2009 R1200R (current bike). They offer much greater conspicuity than the stock tail/brake lights.

I just replaced the Hyperlites with Skene's on my R1200R and they are a dramatic improvement over the Hyperlites. The LEDs are larger and they "flicker," when they are in the running light mode, which the Hyperlites do not. When you hit the brake, the Skene's come on with a very brilliant display.

A word of caution. Either of these lights require perpendicular mounting, so that they are not being viewed on a angle. Angular mounting diminishes the effectiveness of the LEDs.

A word of caution. Either of these lights require perpendicular mounting, so that they are not being viewed on a angle. Angular mounting diminishes the effectiveness of the LEDs.

Just to add, I installed a set of the P3's yesterday, and I'd say the effective view angle is much broader then you indicate. Without taking precise measurements, I was able to see the lights quite well and bright at least 45 deg side to side, and since I couldn't climb a ladder, I would guess the verticle angle would be similar.

I'm sure there is some brightness drop, but I don't think its that much of a concern. Newer LED's use different lenses that aren't nearly as directional as old style ones. And they're wicked bright.

A plus for the Skene LED lights. Installed a set on a 2010 RT. But they cost much more... I did not want to skimp on a safety item.

tsp

P3 Lights and Photon Blasters 2011 Black Friday sale

See the link for details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17368327&postcount=7 Let them know NomadS from advrider told you about it.

2011 Black Friday Weekend Sale on P3 Lights & Photon Blaster at Skene Design
Now's your chance to get a deal on serious safety lights for your bike.

Skene Design is having a 4 day sale with a $20/system discount on our P3 Lights and Photon Blaster visibility lighting systems.

These would make a great Christmas present for a rider you know, or even yourself!

The sale starts at midnight Thursday and runs through Monday.

I have had Hyperlites on a 2005 R1200RT and a 2009 R1200R (current bike). They offer much greater conspicuity than the stock tail/brake lights.

I just replaced the Hyperlites with Skene's on my R1200R and they are a dramatic improvement over the Hyperlites. The LEDs are larger and they "flicker," when they are in the running light mode, which the Hyperlites do not. When you hit the brake, the Skene's come on with a very brilliant display.

They flicker? Is this legal in the US? I don't know about Canada. I know of one guy who installed them on his RT, but I lost track of him.

They flicker? Is this legal in the US? I don't know about Canada. I know of one guy who installed them on his RT, but I lost track of him.

Yes, absolutely legal and very visible. It's not a flash like on emergency vehicles, just sort of a visual vibration thing that draws your eye to them when in your peripheral vision. Plus Jerry Skene is a standup guy who backs his products and customers 110%

Yes, absolutely legal and very visible. It's not a flash like on emergency vehicles, just sort of a visual vibration thing that draws your eye to them when in your peripheral vision. Plus Jerry Skene is a standup guy who backs his products and customers 110%
Good to know. Thank you.

Happy with P3s

I have been VERY happy with my P3s on my 12 RT. I feel like they are more effective than the Hyper lights on other bikes I have seen.

I have used and installed products from both firms. Both have a well established record of good service and both work well and are generally pretty durable items.

I think the P3 may have a bit of an edge but its not so large and whether it worth the extra cost is a personal opinion matter. I use Skene Photon Blasters on the front of my RT and there is no doubt the effect draws attention. Many folks in our club have one or the other rear set and no one here has complained about either AFAIK.

I concur. Especially with the added conspicuity of the "flicker"--you wouldn't think it would make that much difference, but it does.

I have a double setup of Hyper-Lites on my R1150Rt and just put the P3s and Photon Blasters on my R12RT. So far, I think the Skene products are superior.

FWIW...

JEP

I have photon blasters on the front of my 1200gs and P3 lights in the back end when my wife's NEW C600 scooter arrives it will be equipped likewise. Installed a set on a friends K1220gt couldn't be happier. FYI they are programmable to either flicker or not

Back