• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 vs. 2010 R1200GS ADV----Hexhead vs. Camhead

mike m

Sold my 2007 K1200GT and going back to a GS as the best all-arounder for my riding. Owned a 2005 and a 2006 R1200GS standard and enjoyed them immensely.

Now looking to purchase a 2009 or 2010-11 R1200GS ADV and trying to weigh the difference in cost for the camhead vs. the hexhead. 2009 model fits my budget at this time much better but heard the camhead may be worth stretching the few extra grand to get more and smoother power delivery and nicer exhaust growl.

Firsthand advice?:ear

I'll preface my comments with the fact that I'm not an expert and have only put about 3,000 miles on my 2011 GSA. If you will be doing much slow speed travel, such as dirt roads or trails winding through the woods, or over tricky roots and rocks, you'll definitely appreciate the low end torque and tractor-like pulling ability of the newer camhead. Compared to my 2005 hexhead (RT) it's far easier to manage at slower speeds, the throttle is much less sensitive, and starting out from a stop, 2-up is much easier.

'07gsa:)

I am approaching 80,000m., bought her in Feb.'08 new off the showroom:). Much happiness, perfect ride and I GOT the growl my way:). I removed the end cap from stock muffler, drilled holes in end of muffler, replaced end cap:). Cannot even see the modify, but sure sounds like new camhead:), or Remus pipe,etc.. makes the midrange more snappy, eliminating some back pressure, I smile. 3 half inch holes and 4 quarter inch holes added to the end of my "muffler only" and the end cap goes "back on". Looks totally stock, sounds way nice, runs even better:)...Randy

I did the same thing with my GT for the same reason

Previously I had an 08 RT I then test drove the '11 GSA

Outside of the great exhaust I really noticed the low end grunt and mid range snappiness.

Off road it is extremely tractable - if you can swing it go with the cam

Go with an 11 or later. The 10's and earlier had the crappy fuel strip on the ADV models. The earrly 10's also did not have the vent on the final drive and also had the cam sensor recall. The 11's and on are using WP shocks IMHO better then the Showas the previous ADV used. Best of luck.

Well, after some back and forth----

I found a real good deal on a 2009 red/black GSA with 9000 miles----only 4 hours north of me in northern Florida. It comes with Corbin seats, Navigator III, all three BMW cases and a few other goodies that got me to pull the trigger over the camhead. I'm picking it up next week.

I'll ride this one for a few years and then go into a second or third year GS water-cooled boxer. :thumb

Congrats on the new bike. This hadn't been mentioned, but valve adjustmen on the '09 and earlier bikes is a much simpler process. This might be of value, if you do your own maint.

Adjusting is different but easy.

I consider valve adjustment on the camhead to be a snap. Only bad part is running to your dealer if you (rarely) need a shim. I've only needed two in 59,000 miles. Harv Read 2010R12RT.

Back