• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Confrontation

How did we get from a discussion on the advisability of confronting an intruding driver and our personal methods of protecting ourselves from said drivers to bashing the motivations of Prius drivers?

Time for me to move on to the next campfire.:wave

Tom

How did we get from a discussion on the advisability of confronting an intruding driver and our personal methods of protecting ourselves from said drivers to bashing the motivations of Prius drivers?

Time for me to move on to the next campfire.:wave

Tom

Its all been in good fun, Tom.

Albeit, I still have no use (personal opinion here) for a Prius and all of its transparent claims.

Drive safely to the next campfire. :bolt

Prius = Pious

I'll never forget a number of years ago on the PCH when I went to pass a Prius.

The guy actually floored it to try to prevent the pass. :laugh

As I motored away I had a laugh at the person who bought the wrong car for the way he wanted to drive, then again perhaps he felt that having the pious meant he could impose his will upon others.

I have a new Honda CR-Z hybrid. It is much faster than a Prius, gets almost 40 mpg. And, a 6-speed tranny.

Still like the bike better.

I don't understand the smugness of some Prius owners, but neither do I understand the need of non-Prius owners to bash them.

Our Prius has delivered excellent service. It's got 90k miles on it and hasn't had a problem. It runs on regular and even now will deliver up to 45 mpg at a steady 65 mph. In California at least, the battery comes with a 10 year, 150k warranty.

Consumer Reports' Reader Surveys have consistently shown it to be a trouble free model to own and they continue to recommend it as a used car. They have printed analyses that prove it is well worth the extra cost of the hybrid system over a 100k mile lifetime in terms of saved gas. And they have also debunked the talk about how environmentally unfriendly it is (based on 30 year old information about nickel mining in Canada). Nickel itself can easily be separated and is recycled whenever possible because of its value. In fact, the entire Prius battery can be recycled.

The Prius is a slug to drive. It has leisurely acceleration and reasonable brakes. The turning circle is nothing to write home about. There is noticeable body roll if you try to corner quickly. It seats 4 comfortably and 5 if necessary, and the hatchback is spacious and convenient. The rear pillars are a bit of a blind spot, so don't ride next to the rear quarter of one (good advice in general, anyway!)

It is a transportation appliance, with pretty much zero personality, once you get over the fact that it makes no noise part of the time. If you look at buying a car the way you look at buying a toaster, this is your vehicle.

I grew up driving first a Honda 600 and then a VW Beetle, so the Prius has a lot more oomph than either of those did, and needs a lot less maintenance. I do in fact look at buying a car the way I look at buying a toaster, and I'm quite pleased with the Prius and would buy another one.

I have a new Honda CR-Z hybrid. It is much faster than a Prius, gets almost 40 mpg. And, a 6-speed tranny.

Still like the bike better.

I have a VW TDI Sportwagen.

Last tank was 39.5 with some very spirited and fun driving. No batteries required.

I don't understand the smugness of some Prius owners, but neither do I understand the need of non-Prius owners to bash them.

I think it's because when the Prius was first introduced the marketing and the folks that bought them tried to claim that you'd be "saving the planet" and that if you don't by one you must be satan. When a car comes with a radio that only plays PBS you know it's going to have a rather narrow audience. :)

I think that folks who try to argue the environmental impact of the manufacture of the vehicle are basing their arguements on hearsay and junk science.

To me the bottom line is what does it cost to own and is it worth it. As you said as an appliance it works well; I'll agree that it's likely the best four wheeled appliance you can buy but some of us want a car.

Thankfully there are alternatives so we can all get what we want.

Our Prius has delivered excellent service. It's got 90k miles on it and hasn't had a problem. It runs on regular and even now will deliver up to 45 mpg at a steady 65 mph. In California at least, the battery comes with a 10 year, 150k warranty.

My '07 Prius gets 50+ mpg all during warm weather, from April through October, and that's day in and day out, all driving included. I wish my RT could do as well. I drove from western NY to Bar Harbor, Maine, and got 61 mpg. And that's from a car that has cost me nothing besides oil & filters.

I really resent the hate the Prius gets, mostly from gas-hog drivers. One example of the hate: some Neanderthal kicked a $900 dent in the side of the car when it was less than a year old. So the hatred runs deep in many people, apparently.

Harry

Attachments

• Prius3.jpg
    Prius3.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Oh, I know the feeling.
That's one of those Neanderthal's that thinks you are SUPPOSED to waste gas, and as much as possible.
They usually also LIKE, as in ARE IN FAVOR OF air pollution.
Give them some time in Mexico City. That will cure them.
dc

Mod hat on:
The OP spoke of an incident involving a motorist confrontation. I think she has received a boatload of advice, some good, some not. I hope we can stay on topic.
Mod hat off........

Hey BMWGSGIRL are you still out there? Seems we lost you and the gist of your original post. We started with confrontation and evolved to Prius haters. Although, I am impressed the the MPG of said vehicle (61 MPG Hwy miles? Impressive).

A sequel to the confrontation could have gone like this. Leave the scene and then come back to the vehicle about 15 minutes later. Take out your handy dandy pocket knife and slash all four tires. While your at it you might as well key both sides and the hood of the car. Thats the ticket. Maybe that'll teach em a lesson they won't soon forget. :sick

OK. Maybe not such a good idea. Just some crazy mindless rambling. Shake it off, enjoy your ride, and focus on the good. Don't let a insignificant moron distract you from all of life's glories. There too many other good stuff to focus on and enjoy.

When I.m in my car confronting a fellow motorist they stay back cause my grand marque is just like a state patrol unmarked squads. Same color too! I put a fake antena on the trunk lid and most everyone stays away from me with long lines of cars not willing to pass me. cause I do no more than 5 over relaxing taking my time getting where ever and I laugh my a** off!

Please tell us you don't do this in the left lane. :hungover

This may sound silly, but I've found in my 10000 miles a year riding, (mostly rural, thank God), is that my GoPro stuck to the side of my helmet, really keeps people (cars), away from me. I also have a loud horn installed, but rarely use it. Nice to know its there when needed though. But its hard to argue with a video diary:deal

Of course, there's no reasoning with angry drivers. I do my best to stay away from those types, though not always possible as you well know.:stick

A GoPro is a brand of camera/videocam that sticks to the side or the top of a helmet or elsewhere. The point of that post is if a driver thinks you'll video them, thay will stay away. Maybe so, here I find the Stebel does a better job.

Road rage, whether 'justifiable' or not is never a good idea. Let it go... YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...:gerg

Back