• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valve Adjustment for F650 Twin

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
Is there a DIY proceedure for valve adjustment on a 650 Twin like there is in the camhead site ?

Not on this site that I am aware of. Maybe over on F800.com.

A Haynes manual may be your best bet.

Paul Glaves posted a piece recently about adjusting the valves on Voni's F800S for the first time(or maybe it was an article in the ON). You should be able to track that down. Seems that getting to the valves is 90% of the issue. I seem to recall that he learned two lessons: 1) follow the procedure provided in the manual. He skipped a step about removing a part only to findout that it was required after-all, and, 2) After the initial 600 mile check you can double the recommended mileage between checking the valves; they do not seem to vary much.

This is all from memory.... find his post to confirm my memory.

Here's two threads:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232909

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623587

There is also a video or two on YouTube....

The clearance does not change quickly, so for most folks it does seem to be just a "check" which is good, because actually swapping out the shims is a bit of work.

Apparently the two things that make the clearance change more quickly are:

* running in dirty envrionments - make clearnace tighter due to wear on valves/seats

* lots of high RPM operation - make clearance looser due to wear on valve train

Leading to the obvious conclusion of keeping the throttle pinned in dusty environments .... :brad

Last edited:
Paul write up on the valves was in the BMW ON on Voni's F800 which is a little different from what Paul told me over the weekend on the F650 Twin.

I just recently purchased a Haynes Manual for the F650 Twin for a good price on this website:

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/

The Haynes manual is a good book to have.

I have over 9K miles and will do a valve check for the first time sometime....

You should do a write up when you do yours.

Thank You All

Thanks to everyone for there help. I will order the haynes manual for the bike. Between the manual the process shown in the 800 site I will be able to accomplish this task....

Thanks again

As the owner of a new F650GS (or at least responsible for the maintenance.... it's my wife's), I'd appreciate you posting your experience doing this job..... with a bunch of pictures. :thumb

When I do it

I will try to do that when I get the manual and it is time to do the valves.

FWIW I've got over 18k miles and no need for adjustment yet.

Motorcycle engines...especially oil/water cooled ones need less and less maintenance.

Progress!

It appears from what I see over on the F800 forum that people are going at least 24K miles without having to make any adjustment. One lad said he's checked his regularly and is up over 70K and has yet to need to change anything.

Back