• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2022 F850 Chain Adjustments

smswy

Searched several pages of archives already. Bought bike 10 months ago but it was garaged for 4 months during brutal Wyoming winter. Now living in AZ and have 4,000 miles on it. Have not adjusted a bike chain for several decades. Brought and used the Motion Pro sag measurement tool. Seems about 45mm which is on the upper limit (35-45mm) of my lowered version bike. MIGHT decide to move to 40mm.

The manual kinda confusing. Says turn the rear wheel until position with lowest chain sag is reached. I can do that if I put bike on my ABBA lift to raise the rear wheel. But the manual also says measure the sag with the motorcycle unloaded on side stand (I only have side stand on lowered version). Seems contradictory.

Also, if I do loosen the axle nut to adjust chain tension the spec says to use a “mechanical” thread locker. Various places in the manual reference micro-encapsulated thread locker which I assume is like Loctite Blue 243. But when I do Google searches for Mechanical or what is difference between Micro-Encapsulated and Mechanical thread locking compound I cannot find any explanation.

Advice???

Nice reference, thank you very much. Do you have any idea about the manual reference to “Mechanical” Thread Locker Compound?

I don’t know what they are referring to. Perhaps there is something like a Nylox nut or a “jam” nut in the works now and they want the rider to keep using one.
OM

Nice reference, thank you very much. Do you have any idea about the manual reference to “Mechanical” Thread Locker Compound?

I read "mechanical" as to say that the act of tightening up the axle nut to the proper torque is what is needed to make sure the the wheel/sprocket/swingarm stay together (without any additional liquid thread locker, micro-encapsulated nuts/bolts, etc.)

The tightening of the axle assembly to the proper torque (without any other locking devices) is pretty standard across other bikes.

I read "mechanical" as to say that the act of tightening up the axle nut to the proper torque is what is needed to make sure the the wheel/sprocket/swingarm stay together (without any additional liquid thread locker, micro-encapsulated nuts/bolts, etc.)

The tightening of the axle assembly to the proper torque (without any other locking devices) is pretty standard across other bikes.

Thanks. That would make more sense. But with the wording using compound in the manual it mace me confused.

Back