• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is the fascination w/Cafe Racers?

Right now this is my only bike. I recently sold a 2005 Aprilia Tuono. I preferred my '75 R90 cafe bike to the Tuono. I absolutely love this bike. My back doesn't hurt and I don't walk like I'm 90 years old when I step off the bike. 300 - 400 mile days around the mountains aren't unusual for me.

Yes Indeed

I find that both Orbitangel (what a goofy handle) and S09 have points that are indeed polar yet complementary ! Further, I am shocked - shocked I say - that no one has mentioned Perry Bushong's custom cafe racer BMW creations of which he has made many.....but to the RS, OA is on the money, although I would point out that the R90S certainly met the period definition of cafe racer....a factory stock implementation, which coexists nicely with S09's joy of creativity....attached is my VERY comfortable R100/7 which is a mild interpretation of the genre....(love it when I speak French).

Attachments

• Rat Bike in Weatherford 6-14-09.jpg
    Rat Bike in Weatherford 6-14-09.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 64
Cafe

One of Perry Bushong's creations I photographed in his shop, in Fort Worth, Texas

Attachments

• Custom R100S.jpg
    Custom R100S.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 63
Cafe-Mania...

Viewed from this angle....my '78 R100RS Motorsport Edition is sort of cafe-like....only with a large fairing!

JJ Cerilli

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpg
    IMG_5885.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 54
Bar Bike

ItÔÇÖs the human scale of a motorcycle that makes it such a fascinating and tempting target for the inspired biker/builders among us. A person needs a garage, tools, industrial equipment and a V-8 size bank account to play around with creating a custom car. But one can build a beautiful custom motorcycle by taking parts to machine shop, the welder and painter and bringing them home to be assembled in the comfort of ones own living room and that makes it possible for anyone to have a go at building a Caf?® bike.

There is an old argument in design school. It is the yin and yang of form and function. ÔÇ£Do you want it to look great OR go fastÔÇØ? ÔÇ£Well, personally I would like as much as I can get of bothÔÇØ, Motorcycles are already ALL about form and function right off the production line. It is up to the builders to take what the factory gives them and ÔÇÿcompleteÔÇÖ the exercise. The customs like the Caf?® bike takes form and function to a more personal, individual, anthropomorphic state of being. Sometimes these custom cafe bikes will simply take your breath away they are so cool. They are meant to be more than just motorcycles. The ones that succeed are a perfect extension of the owners personality.

I build an American version of the Caf?® Racer I call a ÔÇ£Bar BikeÔÇØ. (What else you gonna call it over here?). I make them simple, small, light, flickable and FUN. I use short frames and small tanks, big motors, solo seats, spoke wheels and I modify the steel and plastic to expose the motorcycles functions making them a part of the form thus blending form and function into one. That in Design school is the pan-ultimate success and that in the motorcycle world is a Caf?® racer by definition. BMW has given me a great collection of basic parts to re-arrange any way I want to. If I could have only one motorcycle, it would be a caf?® machine.

Reading list:
The Perfect Vehicle ~ what is it about motorcycles? by Melissa Holbrook Pierson.
Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design ~ the art and science (yin / yang thing) by Tony Foale (and originally with Vic Willoughby)
The Art of the Motorcycle ~ A publication of the Smithsonian Institute, Catalog of the show.

Paul,

Based upon the WONDERFUL concept of your GORGEOUS Bar Bike, I suggest new categories:

For Racing Bikes: TT = Tourist Trophy (this part is not new, of course...)

For Street Bikes: TT = Tourist Tavern

In other words, you have built a very nice TT bike!

Makes perfect sense to me. :beer

Orbitangel

Back