• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is the fascination w/Cafe Racers?

miairhead

I do not understand why anyone would want a Motorcycle that would cause you to walk like a 90 year old woman when you get off it.

I watching Cafe Racer on cable, they make bikes into Cafe Racers. I know it seems to be a Limey invention or passion. Seems to have spread, and know Harley even made one. I know they make bikes to get fast, but why?

Okay I am old, and I like to ride back roads (bumps, gravel, etc.). Yes I have a bad back, and bent over to ride would bring my October back surgery to now.

I guessing that Cafe Racer would not be a riders only bike.

I do not understand why anyone would want a Motorcycle that would cause you to walk like a 90 year old woman when you get off it. .

Same reason you ride a bike that makes you look like a 90 year old man while you're riding it:hungover

They're fun to ride, that's why!

Cafe' Racers

When I was in my 20ies I was into CB750 Hondas, first stock in configfuration then I was bitten by the Cafe' Racer bug.
The goal was to make them lighter, faster handle better ie: like racing bikes.
Race on Sunday sell on Monday thinking!

My first attempt was a Dunstall Honda with fiberglass components.

Then on to a full out Cafe' Racer a 1974 Rickman Honda with a chromolly frame and competition components, forks, shocks, Yoshimura Racing engine.

I would build one now to look at but I don't fold up like that anymore!

Attachments

• rickman-honda-750-rc.jpg
    rickman-honda-750-rc.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 420
well in my case, my regular commute takes me on the NJ Turnpike where the norm for cars is about 80-85mph at all hours of the day. I liked the style of cafe racers but for awhile was quite happy with my stock seat and euro bars. Eventually I got sick of the euro bars when I was tucking in on the bike at speed because they made steering difficult and sitting in the normal neutral position made my body into one big sail. Decided to go with clip-ons, to improve riding posture and handling at speed, though I hear rs bars could accomplish the same. While I was in there I replaced the stock triple clamp with a SJ one (haven't really noticed too much difference with it though). The clip ons made a vast improvement in the ride and I enjoy riding it significantly more, they also look pretty cool. I'm 27 so maybe I'm too young for back issues from the sportier riding posture.

Once my wife delivered our daughter, that was it for 2 up riding and I always like the look of a cowled cafe single seat, and wound up buying a giuliari replica. Rear sets may be coming, but at the moment they aren't necessary, even if I look like Schorsch Meier sometimes when I'm tucked in. Also changed the muffler because my stock ones were pitted to death.

I had Tom Cutter redo my heads and I'll be having my flywheel lightened this winter. I also did the drilled airbox trick that seems pretty popular with old time tuners and have noticed a difference in the bike's performance after the modification. Dell'orto carbs will also be in the bike's future, but it'll be awhile before I have enough disposable income. Currently have an early 336 cam and R90s pistons sitting on my shelf for a day when the R90 isn't my only bike in the stable and isn't an everyday commuter.

I really love the look of cafe racers and am very happy with my "lightly" cafe'd beemer, someday I'll strip even more weight off (like the rear fender) it and go full on, but not right now. Going this route made my ride WAAAAAY more enjoyable and made the bike much sportier

Edit: Looking at the picture I realized it's a little dated. Rear turn signals are also gone now, while I could justify it as saving weight, the fact is that the plastic broke on both and they were wobbling around with every bump

picture.php

Last edited:
Even today you can still get a "factory" cafe racer. Don't know, but I think one would look good in my garage. Photo stolen from internet.

Attachments

• Triumph .jpg
    Triumph .jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 400
Some of it is older guys who can finally afford to build/buy the things they drooled over 30 yrs. ago. The rest is young guys into the retro thing. I'd guess few of either group spend long riding days on these bikes, although I'm sure there are some who do.

and in many cases, a primer on how to ruin a vintage bike...:scratch-but not as badly as the chopping thing:dunno

No, just how to help it live on in a new state. The way to ruin one is to sell it off for parts, which, sadly is being done with regularity to bikes that need just a little love. Every time I see a good running bike parted out, I am saddened...

You obviously missed out on the times riders had no money, poor wages, and too much time on their hands after WW11 in England where Cafe' racer styled bikes got their start.

They bought what they could and "customised " them to suit themselves and the tight twisting roads over there. Take a trip to Europe and see how many younger folks are out there touring on versions of a Cafe' racer even today.

Here in the vast land of America , with flat straight roads the guys did the same thing only called them "Choppers", uncomfortable, unreliable, home built creations to suit their own taste.

The sport bikes of today are really not much different from the Cafe' racers of the 60's . Mostly modeled after current race bike style , just like they were back then.

If I could still bend like I could when i was a youngster, I'd still be riding a Cafe' racer.

I truly appreciate and admire a well done restoration but for my own tastes ask why would someone spend the time and money to do it when you could take the money and time and bend the bike and its performance to fit your imagination.

If you have to ask you will never understand...no matter which side of the debate you are on.

Airheads have become very popular cafe bike candidates of late. I think this is for two basic reasons. Tritons, CB750 and even Moto Guzzi cafe bikes are a dime a dozen. Airheads are uncommon and thus the new cool kid. The other is, as many of you have pointed out, many of us don't fold up the way we did when we began building cafe bikes. The airhead can provide the cool and fun factors while not over taxing our brittle bodies.
:bikes

I do not understand...MIAirhead

Cafe racers appeal to minimalists; many machines have clean, elegant, looks.

...that Cafe Racer would not be a riders only bike.

They're strictly day bikes, but lots of riders don't tour.

Why do some people drive the newest Mercedes and some Model A Rat Rods...geisterfahrer

This is a question that has fascinated me for some years. The most fascinating car I've ever seen, and I don't know exactly why, is Nick Falla's Cosworth Ford powered MGB.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/ChrisFalla.htm

Paul Bloom, a developmental psychologist at Yale, has written a whole book on the topic, but in the end, nobody knows exactly why it is that people get pleasure from certain things:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jul/11/how-pleasure-works-paul-bloom

"They're strictly day bikes, but lots of riders don't tour."

Not really I can travel for a week with nothing but a tank bag I don't feel the need to take the kitchen sink with me. as for comfort, that is a personal issue
and depends a lot on physical condition, age and the bikes ergonomics "Cafe Racers" don't need to be torture racks.

I can travel for a week with nothing but a tank bag...Jota

Ah, a true minimalist! I knew somebody was going to say that they tour on their cafe racer. :ha

...depends a lot on physical condition...

Yes, fitness is critical for riding enjoyment.

Last edited:
I think the history of the "cafe" racer goes back a bit further than that... .

HI9H2794.JPG

The two-wheeled cart above it technically termed a "gig"; a light, two-wheeled carriage drawn by one horse. The "sports car" of the era.

If you really wanted performance you went to a tandem pair... the turning radius is essentially zero... the lead horse is not constrained by shafts.

tandem.jpg

In their day, these things weren't cheap to own and maintain and their only real practical use was for The Gentleman to take a Sunday "promenade" around town showing that he was a capable horseman, and a man of means. He could just as easily have had his carriage man drive him around town... but where's the fun in that?

And your statement, "why does anyone want anything", might be amended with, "because they can".

More "cafe" vehicles...

The term is "cafe racer" and not "cafe" racer for a distinct reason. When these two words are placed together they infer an image of both a motorcycle style (street oriented racer) with a destination (gathering) along with an activity (racing from cafe to cafe).

I agree that the statement should be amended. I would appreciate, if willing, that you amend "cafe" racer with "cafe racer".

Have a great and safe rest of the riding season.

Back