• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800GS Maintenance Schedule

andreb

So I have my new 2010 F800GS delivered, I start riding it and try to become familiar with maintenance. I do all normal maintenance on my R1200ST so I figure this one should be easy. Fact is, I've done all maintenance and work on my bikes, autos, pickups and farm machinery for over 30 years.

But, the new owners manual has no maintenance schedule listed at all, just verbiage mentioning that the rider display will say when it needs work. I even purchased an pricey and official BMW service CD from a dealer. It too has great instructions on a boatload of repairs and maintenance, but no maintenance schedule! I guess BMW railroads you into taking your bike to the dealer for all work.

What gives? I asked my dealer about its absence and I get the cryptic smile saying "bring it it". Does any one have the idiotic two pieces of paper containing what to do at what mileage or time?

And finally, even if I do something as simple as changing the oil, how do I reset the display? Of course, this is not even mentioned.

I know what you mean

I have the same bike. I've never not had a maintenance schedule on a vehicle. My engine maint light is supposed to come on at 6000 miles for the next oil change. As our bikes are new chances are someone will assemble the maint list before they get too old. Your dealer should be able to print out a what service is next for you. As for the "check engine" light reset, the only unit for consumers that I know of is the GS911. Perhaps other owners can contribute and we can assemble the schedule for the forum. In the mean time, Enjoy your new bike. Ride safe, Gary :wow

Nice find Luis. That's a good place to start. I didn't see the F800GS listed specifically which is what I have found and may be what the OP was talking about. The local dealers for some reason aren't happy to part with those lists. Thanks again.

I asked my dealer about its absence and I get the cryptic smile saying "bring it it". Does any one have the idiotic two pieces of paper containing what to do at what mileage or time?

And finally, even if I do something as simple as changing the oil, how do I reset the display? Of course, this is not even mentioned.

I would say that either this dealer was "funnin" you or that particular person is crappy at customer service and should be avoided. Even folks who always have all services done at a dealership are entitled and ought to know exactly what needs to be done when. A failure to share that information to coerce a person to bring in their bike is unconcionable and falls just short of criminal. If I had choices I'd run fast, away from that guy.

I would say that either this dealer was "funnin" you or that particular person is crappy at customer service and should be avoided. Even folks who always have all services done at a dealership are entitled and ought to know exactly what needs to be done when. A failure to share that information to coerce a person to bring in their bike is unconcionable and falls just short of criminal. If I had choices I'd run fast, away from that guy.

+1!
It is ridiculous to think that a simple maintenance schedule is going to keep people away from dealers. Most riders bring their bikes in for service anyway, but that doesn't mean a schedule should not be available to those who do most, if not all their own work...

the maint. schedule is on the DVD it's just that the "naming conventions" are so off the wall that a lot of items are hard to find....
:banghead

Search for either: 00 00 111 (the spaces are important) or "BMW Service" ...

My personal farvorites so far are the name of the procedure for adjusting the freeplay in the rear brake pedal, it's called:

"Adjusting blow-by clearance at piston rod" :scratch

And the valve shims which are called "oil sinks" ... :hungover

PS: What version of the DVD did you get? I have Rev. #4 but have heard that rev #5 is out.... ???

Last edited:
the maint. schedule is on the DVD it's just that the "naming conventions" are so off the wall that a lot of items are hard to find....
:banghead

Search for either: 00 00 111 (the spaces are important) or "BMW Service" ...

My personal farvorites so far are the name of the procedure for adjusting the freeplay in the rear brake pedal, it's called:

"Adjusting blow-by clearance at piston rod" :scratch

And the valve shims which are called "oil sinks" ... :hungover

Wow, I have the DVD. I will have take a look and perhaps get out my universal translator. It sounds like this might go beyond the "use rightly" on my small Kubota generator. Thanks for the Tip. :thumb I just checked on the edition-appears to be the 4th

Last edited:

The only way to do reset the service indicator other than haveing the dealer do it is to use the GS-911 tool from Hex Code. I bought one at Redmond since we have two F800s currently and both were in need of the service reminder being reset. I figure that even if I only use it for that its worth it.

The good news is, there is no harm in operating the bike with the reminder triggered. It just displays the "Service" message on the screen all the time and nags you with a message and warning light at every startup. My guess is that this is BMWs answer to publishing the service schedules in the manual. They just let the dealer set the next interval and have the bike tell you when to bring it back. The reminder is set to trip by mileage or time whichever is reached first.

BTW one of the forum members just put together a great overview of the GS911.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47344

And what I'm used to seeing in an owners manual is the old list-
1st oil and filter 600 mi check this and that
Next oil regular service 6000 miles Severe service/off road 3000 miles (my for example)
This is the kind of list I'm used to and can't seem to find.

I was surprised to find no way to reset the service light without either a trip to the dealer or a GS-911. I have a 2006 Toyota Scion that has a service light and it is reset by pushing the trip-odometer buttons in a certain sequence. I was kinda expecting the same thing on the BMW but it apparently does not exist.

The other problem is that all the scheduled service(s) require that the computer system be checked for stored fault codes, something that can't be done without either the dealer service computer or a GS-911. Potentially if the check for fault codes is not made regularly a warranty claim could potentially be denied....

Last edited:
I have the latest CD version, which is the fifth. It irritates me that I am forced to purchase a $300 GS-911 tool to reset the service read interval. It is the only vehicle that I cannot reset without a tool.

Thanks for the advice on what is otherwise a great bike.

From Oilheads

I thought I would link this up from Oilheads in case someone missed it. It's sort of an oil thread but the interval parts are worth reading. Without the guide that I'm used to it seems to follow the BMW pattern for the F800GS. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=47712 I do think the oil itself is better than ever but figuring the additive package is harder.:deal

F800gs

I swear the dealer told me there was a 600 mile check-up when I bought my 2011 F800GS, but when I took it in.... Nope! (I think I also heard him say it was included in my staggering price!!!)

We ALL, live and learn.

But, she sure rides nice. Just added my bags. I can finally get out past the state line! (agaibn...)
:type

Back