• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any interest in a great ride led by local Oregon riders?

The Oregon club, BMW Riders of Oregon, are looking at leading some rides through some great local roads. They would be smaller groups of about 10 bikes, maybe 3-4 groups spaced about half hour apart. The route we are looking at would be about 6 hours of bike time. Because of the length of the ride we would do this on Friday. This ride will take you down a locals favorite, very seldom used road.

Basic details: This is an ALL PAVED route. Redmond east to Prineville. From Prineville we turn SE on the Post-Paulina Road. We then follow a series of paved roads to Hwy 395 just south of John Day Oregon. The road has some twisties, beautiful sweepers, and some wide, wide open highway thru ranching country. This is a little known, little used, GREAT motorcycle road. Lunch and gas in John Day. Then back west to Redmond on Hwy 26, another great MC road with great scenery. Three hours out, lunch, three hours back.

So I'm just looking to see if there is much interest in a ride like this. It will be limited to 30-40 riders in 3-4 groups. It will not be a speed run but we won't dawdle either. I promise that it's a great ride thru great countryside.

Look at the thread from BobsST http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=43698 May of these pictures were taken along this route.

Lets see a show of hands of anyone interested in doing this.

Thanks,
John B.

:thumb:thumb:thumb

Since Mt. Bachelor Special Event offered by BMWMOA is on the same day (FRIDAY) as this ride, is it possible to do this one on Saturday as well???
It would be nice to participate in both events. :dance

Just an idea.:scratch

Answers coming soon

We are looking at getting final approval from MOA (insurance/liability questioned getting answered). I will post how we will get this organized very soon.

I just made this ride this last weekend traveling to the Chief Joseph Rally in John Day. It's a fun ride.

Oh, and John day was a mountain man that explored this region. He was one of the members of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.

John Beeson

PS- 104554, we had not planned this for Saturday because of the possible conflict with the closing ceremonies. I have the GPS coordinates of every turn and jct. with a brief narrative. I can send it to you if you like.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Make a nice loop of it. RT126 from Eugene over to Florence. then north on 101 to Waldport takes you past Heceta Head lighthouse and Cape Perpetua with some jaw-dropping scenery along here. Say "hello" to the mighty Pacific Ocean! When you get to Walport take RT34 back west toward Corvallis. Look for the turnoff for Mary's Peak as you crest the hill. The ride up and down Mary's Peak is a worthwhile side trip offering great views of the coastal mountains. While this loop can be run in the opposite direction, taking it the way I've described offers the best views. Be advised, it can be hot and sunny in the valleys while cold and foggy along the coast.

How many miles/time is this big loop?

JStrube, It is about 170 out to John Day and about 135 back. Plan on it being 6-7 hours of riding and a stop for gas/lunch in John Day.

Opps, you were referring to the trip to the coast. Redmond to Eugene is about 130 miles, 2.5 hours. Eugene to Florence is 55 miles and about an hour. North to Waldport is just uner an hour (with many possible stops to be a tourist). The road From Waldport to Corvallis has a LOT of twisties and time is quite variable, call it more than an hour. Corvallis to Redmond is 130 miles and about 3 hours (the south santiam, Hwy 20, has lots of twisties and not a lot of traffic, one of my favorite rides). I've given riding times, not included is all the tourist stops for photos and gawking. The side trip to Mary's Peak is a good one if the skies are clear, great view and wonderful road up to ride. Side trip adds just under an hour of riding.

Hope this helps a little.

John Beeson

PS- 104554, we had not planned this for Saturday because of the possible conflict with the closing ceremonies. I have the GPS coordinates of every turn and jct. with a brief narrative. I can send it to you if you like.

Please do so, I am very interested and will greatly appreciate it.
I can not speak for all of 250 members that signed up for the Mt. Bachelor event, but it looks like we can not make the ride guided by local riders. Maybe a nice map with a little information at the hospitality desk would be helpful to others as well. After all, some of us are riding 3.5K to the Rally, so every good guided tour is considered a gift from the local riders. As guests to your state we would like all the gifts we can get.:)
In return, as a token of our appreciation, we will spend all the money we can and can't. My wife already started...:dunno and I am not even there yet.:scratch

Thanks for the information and it is very nice of the local club to organize such an event. I don't think I am the only one who would be interested in Saturday ride.

P.S. Maybe 2 small groups on Saturday, starting at 7:00am is a possibility?:violin

Info Booth maps

The info booth at the rally will have Oregon Club members there to answer questions and give suggestions on local rides. We will also have map handouts with this and 5 other rides set up on a map.

How many miles/time is this big loop?

this ride would best be done if you're planning to spend some time in the area AWAY from the rally. In other words, for those who are continuing on westward toward the coast.

A bump and a question............

Has the group ride planning made all the hurdles and will this go ahead?
I re-read the posts and it looks like we're waiting on some kind of insurance/liability issues.

Inquiring minds want to know...................:wave

Squiffy

I'm going to try to get an answer of some kind today. I don't think the hold-up is at the national level.

Even if we can't get it together for a series of group rides, you can still do this ride fairly easily. Come by the information booth in the North Sister building and the BMW Riders of Oregon will have 6 ride maps available. This route is one of the 6. I also have GPS coords. for anyone interested.

Good place to meet and eat?

John, Can you recommend a place to meet my brother-in law and his wife between Portland, where they live, and Redmond? We are thinking Lunch on Saturday.
Thanks, Steve from MN

Hood River

John, Can you recommend a place to meet my brother-in law and his wife between Portland, where they live, and Redmond? We are thinking Lunch on Saturday.
Thanks, Steve from MN

Roll down (north) through The Dalles, then take 1st St out of town (west) as it becomes the scenic alternate to Mosier. At Mosier get on the freeway for about 10 miles to Hood River. Celilo is a very fine restaurant in town. For burgers, pulled pork and that type of fare, the Horse Feathers is quite satisfying, with views that can't be beat. Among the many eateries in Hood River is the Full Sail Brewery mother ship. They have a full American food menu.

Hood River is a pleasant drive from Portland, so you will be doing your family a favor by getting them out there.

When you are done, cross the bridge to the Washington side and goe east to Lyle. From there go north along the Klikitat River to the volcanic plateau at the foot of Mt. Adams. At the Goldendale/Glenwood intersection, go on to Glenwood, BZ Corners and then back down to the Columbia River at White Salmon. That is an unforgettable ride.
:thumb

Shandeland

Bob had a good suggestion. Here is another. Meet at Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood www.timberlinelodge.com/. It's near Government Camp. It's a little closer to Portland than Redmond, but there is almost nothing right in the middle. Plus it's a great place to visit.

If they live in South or West Portland you might want to meet somewhere on Hwy 22. The Oregon Garden is near Silverton. That would be a little over 2 hour ride from Redmond. They have a very good restaurant. Closer to the middle would be Detroit. It's a small town on a large reservoir. It's a tourist town and there are several restaurants and picnic areas nearby.

My personal choice would be Timberline

Sounds like a pretty early departure from the Fairgrounds.....8am'ish?

ETA @ John Day about 12:30???

I will be out on that way via Fossil on the way there....might h/u in JD fer the ride back. I'll keep my eyes peeled!:brow

The Ride it ON!!

We will have 4 groups of up to 12 riders leaving Redmond starting at 8 a.m. with half hour intervals. Ride will be about 7 hours.

Please come to the Info Booth, same building as the Country Store, and sign up for the ride.

Hope to see you there.

John B

I was in the first group of riders on Friday morning and shot some video of the ride.

I've been playing with the video editing software for the last few weekends, here's the first attempt

http://thruthelensphotos.smugmug.co...nd-Videos/13452320_aPTb9#982778088_qmv4m-A-LB

(I've uploaded an HD version. If it doesn't default to that, you can click the square in the bottom right corner of the window playing the video to get more options)

I had the camera mounted on the handlebars of my LT, positioned just to the right of the windshield - bugs became a problem later in the ride.

Last edited:
Yes I was in the 8:00 group. Were you riding sweep at the back?

I have more video later in the ride when I had the camera pointing behind me. I've been experimenting with the editing software to see what I can do, but there are so many choices. Choosing a suitable music trach is also a challenge for me, but I'm having fun. I'll post more videos in the same smugmug gallery.

Back