• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oil sight glass

The Blue Max
There is a wee bit of oil slobber just below the sight glass on my RT. Is this a serious problem or just a sign the o-ring needs to be replaced? Fwiw, have been running synthetic last 25K km.

There is a wee bit of oil slobber just below the sight glass on my RT. Is this a serious problem or just a sign the o-ring needs to be replaced? Fwiw, have been running synthetic last 25K km.

Doubt that syn is the problem.

More than likely, you need a new sight glass assembly (sometimes, they just fail). Just have it replaced by the dealer at the next oil change.

Good Luck.

The sight glass assembly (metal backer, lens, rubber surround) is a simple push fit into the machined hole. It should go together clean and dry. The only thing that holds most of them in is friction. Note: I have been told that some later models now have a machined groove and snap ring. I don't know which models.

If you don't have a snap ring then that oil slobber is a potential serious problem. Once an oil film seeps between the rubber and the metal the oil does what oil does best. Lubricate and reduce friction. So some day, usually on a cold startup when the rubber is stiffest, poof - out it pops. If you notice it right away all you lose is some oil, and you get to try to get the oil off your boot and pantleg. If you don't notice you lose an engine, and maybe run the rear tire through your own oil slick and crash.

My rule is as soon as there is seepage the sight glass assembly gets replaced. Drain the oil first for obvious reasons. Push the new one in (clean and dry) as far as you can with your thumbs and tap it in the rest of the way with an appropriately sized socket as a driver resting only against the rubber surround.

Thanks for the info Paul, looked at it again after your post and it does have a snap ring. Ordered new parts from the dealer, their fiche does show a snap ring, some of the other online fiches do not show one. At least with a snap ring, one can ride with some confidence the glass will not just blow out.

Paul,

I believe ALL the hexheads have the retaining ring. Seems one of those lessons BMW learned from the oilhead engines.

Back