• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Piston pin puller

Throttlejockey

Anyone have an airhead piston pin puller recommendation? There are many out there...
The one I have is too small for the 900 cc pin. (Suzuki GS750 factory tool)
Thanks, TJ

On my R69S, I used a hair dryer on high setting to warm up the piston so the pin could be easily driven out with a wooden dowel.

I use a long bolt with little deep well sockets on one end and a big deep well socket on the other. When I tighten a nut on the end of the bolt, the little sockets push the pin into the big socket.

I bought a wooden dowel at the local arts and crafts store in the correct size, cut it to a shorter length and tapped the wrist pins out. I don't remember the size of dowel, but they're pretty cheap and I bought several sizes so only one trip would be necessary. Worked pretty well for me.

Piston Pin Puller - Home made...

Here is a photo of a piston pin puller I made to work with R100/7 piston and pins. The piston pin in the photo is out of a 77R100. It works for R90 too because the radius on the PVC is about the same. I have another PVC pipe fitted to R75 and R80 pistons too. The threaded carriage bolt is 7 inches long 3/8 inch diameter. The PVC is 1 ??” dia. x 3 ?? approximately. The head on the carriage bolt is just a little bit smaller than the OD of the piston pin so it clears the piston - pin bore easily. Note: The second large thinner washer helps keep all the parts together when it’s not in use.

You do not have to heat the piston nor do you have to beat on the piston [and connecting rod and big end bearings along with it]. Tighten the nut on the carriage bolt and it will draw the pin out into the PVC tube. Don’t forget to hold on to the connecting rod so it doesn’t drop against the block…Relocate the pin back in the piston and connecting rod by hand at re-assembly, re-insert the puller backwards and use it to draw the pin back into the bore.

Guys…Don’t beat on the pistons OK? This puller cost three dollars and ten minutes with a grinder to get the radus on the PVC right.

Last edited:
The only pistons I beat on were then cut out by any means we could. Seem to remember drilling and cold chisels being involved- we saved the block!:brow

Back