• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

what am I doing here?

J

jjd49660

ok, I am not really, really a new member, but for the number of times that I visit here, I could be considered new. I am new to BMW, and still learning the history, the makes and model name lingo.
One irritation I have is that I have never felt like I belong here. I own a 2008 K1200LT.
I look at the forums and I see the headings for the other bikes, like the brick and wedge, etc. What the frik do I have??? Which forum covers my bike?? Because of this I spend more time at http://www.bmwlt.com
Since I have paid my dues for "THIS SITE" it just seems that I should be getting something for my money! lol
And another thing... it seems that since they stopped production of the K1200LT, nothing, or very little coverage is given to my bike in that glossy mag anymore!

thanks for letting me vent.
Joe

Hello Joe,

You have the old K engine architecture. Looking at the engine (if you could see it) you will see a package that looks mostly lile a box. Hence, you have the Flying Brick!

Learn to service it yourself if you put on any real mileage. Otherwise it will bankrupt you.

Bob

Seems like the LT is covered in the "Flying Brick K-Bikes". Don't you find any discussion over there that are directed to the LT?

thanks guys for the responses. but that exactly what I am referring to- "it seems" that I should belong- or be catagorized in "the brick" but it states in the header that it covers models up to 2004...

-but really, the BMWLT site is very very good, so it really doesn't matter that much.

Joe, definitively the Kbike Flying Brick is the tech area for your bike. Spend a little time surfing in there and you will find lots of K1200LT stuff. If you have any good stuff to share, don't hesitate to post so others can learn from you as well.

Flying Brick

Joe,
Your K1200LT is a "flying brick". You have a four cylinder engine sitting on it's side with the cylinders on the left side and the crankshaft on the right side. This design was introduced back in 1983, according to Wikipedia. This is an interesting piece of engineering since most K-bikes are offset when it comes to the front and rear wheel geometry due to the engine. Until then, BMW only had the boxer engine and still does. Until about 2006, the R and K series were the only two types of bikes: The Boxer and The Flying Brick. Now there are more types of engines.

If you Google "BMW motorcycle forum", there many more sites and some are dedicated to K-type bikes. However, this site is the most popular for BMW owners. Also, there is the optional membership club that you can join. Hope you stay and hope you are enjoying your bike. Peace.:wave

Hang around a bit more often and just spend some time reading the different areas of the forum. Check out some ride reports. This is a great little community.

Back