• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recall BMW F650GS F800GS 2008-2010

mika

Still Wondering
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
BMW / F650 GS 2008-2010
BMW / F800 GS 2008-2010

Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: DEC 17, 2009

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V499000 NHTSA Action Number: PE09051

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected: 4498

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 AND 2010 F650 GS AND F800 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JANUARY 2008 AND DECEMBER 2009. DURING ENGINE OPERATION, A VACUUM IS CREATED IN ORDER TO DRAW FRESH AIR INTO THE CANISTER. THIS AIR THEN MIXES WITH THE FUEL VAPORS CAPTURED BY THE CANISTER, AND IS SUBSEQUENTLY COMBUSTED. DUE TO THE ROUTING OF THE VENTILATION HOSE, WATER NEAR THE END OF THE HOSE COULD BE DRAWN INTO THE CHARCOAL CANISTER.

Consequence:
WATER COULD FLOW INTO THE CANISTER CAUSING A STALLING CONDITION INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND ADD AN ADDITIONAL HOSE AND ROUTE IT SUCH THAT THE PRESENT DEFECT IS PREVENTED. THIS REMEDY WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-201-307-4000.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Thanks for posting this!!!!

Can we access the details on how BMW recommends installing the extra hose?

What I did was install a "T" fitting just below the bottom of the canister, reconneced the drain line to the straight part of the T then put short hose on the side connection and routed the other end of that line up under the seat as a vent.

I wonder if BMW has a more clever fix?

I cut the bottom of the hose on an angle so that water would drip off instead of getting sucked into the hose and then I re-routed the hose so it was no longer in the center of the rear tire but off to the side. I have not had any problems since this self fix. Got the idea from MCN magazine a couple of months ago.:whistle

Sounds good, I think that fix should be fine except in a "water crossing" situation.

Apparently, if the end of the hose is submerged, under the "right" conditions the problem can occur quite quickly which is why I went with the "T" modificiation.

The last thing I need is for my bike to stall in the middle of a water crossing :banghead

So glad Canadian BMWs are euro-spec without the canister. Unfortunately Canadian Guzzis are US-spec, so I will be eliminating that canister soon.

F800ST Affected by Recall?

The F800GS recall didn't mention the F800ST. Wouldn't the ST be affected as well since they share the same engine?

recall on F650/8000 GS

Just called BMW and local dealer, our bikes are finally listed in the recall. Once the dealer orders the parts we will finally have this bug taken care of! Call your dealer

Last edited:
Cannister hose mod

Sounds good, I think that fix should be fine except in a "water crossing" situation.

Apparently, if the end of the hose is submerged, under the "right" conditions the problem can occur quite quickly which is why I went with the "T" modificiation.

The last thing I need is for my bike to stall in the middle of a water crossing :banghead

Any chance you can post some pictures of this, please.

The microfiche for parts ordering now shows the recall, and what I did is pretty much what BMW has decided is the right fix .... :D

Items 14 15 16 & 17 in the picture:

canister_T.jpg

basically:

Remove the original drain hose from the bottom of the canister
insert a short section of hose, then a plastic "T" fitting
reconnect the original drain to the down-leg of the "T"
run a new hoses from the side leg of the "T" to some place up high on the bike.
I'm not sure exactly where the "official hose" goes, I ran mine up under the seat.

Dealers now have or can get parts for the official recall, so unless you're far away from a dealer I'd have them do it ... if you are worried about your situation until you can get the official fix ... the home-made version only takes 5 or 10 minutes.

Some folks have just either re-routed the drain hose or cut the end off at an angle.
This probably works OK in rain, but would NOT help in a water crossing situation if the end of the hose (on the original design with no "T") was submerged.

My F800GS just came shipped to the dealer last week. Is it likely it was manufactured December 09 or before? Or was it manufactured a couple weeks ago, hence just arriving to the dealer?

I haven't picked it up yet so I don't know much about it.

Frosteboys new F800GS

I've Had my '09 since Sept '09 and just received the recall notification. I had been reading about it and the personal fixes for months. Chances are if yours didn't come in all set the dealer now knows whats up and you'll be good to go! Good luck and be careful as you get adjusted to your new ride....

My dealer did the recall Saturday morning while I waited. Of course, he was working on Nate Kern's bike when I arrived, so I had to kill time talking to Nate and a few others. Nate is really in love with the 1000RR, and listening to him talk about it was enough to give me a bad case of lust. Anyway, back to the recall, it took at most 30 minutes. It may have been the first they've done, and the fix is exactly like the diagram above. Of course, even on the highway in a drenching downpour I never had a stalling issue. I had cut the original tube coming down from the canister in a V which was supposed to help.

Back