• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 bmw r1200rt? R1300rt?

I like it. It looks a bit 12ST-ish, which is okay with me since I think the 12ST is a beautiful machine. As long as the new RT retains the comfortable/conservative RT ergos then I'd be interested.[/QUOTE

+1 Mr. C

My thoughts exactly... when I bought my RT, I was looking for a clean used ST. A marriage of both retaining the best features of the RT would be cool to try. Not that I ever have given any thought to moving to a new machine.

I gotcher 2010 RT right here! :D

Tron_LightCycle.jpg

Me likey... and more power :eat.

It does look a bit ST'ish, RT'ish and GT'ish but I like the angularity look.

Funny story time: While at the dragon on the way to the rally a bunch of us were standing around. We went up and down the row. Everyones bike got 10 minutes under the microscope. "I like this, I don't like that, this part could be better." When we got to our bikes 1150RT and 1200RT the crowd divided...

One 1150 lover actually apologized to me before he rendered his opinion on how he hated the 1200 styling!

It was clear that age was a common factor when the crowd split. The -40 group and the +40 group. (the +40 group prefered the 1150) but you knew that already.

I just hope they do something to make that dang seat better! :german

This dates me.

I think the prettiest RT ever made was the 2004 R1150RT.

I have a 2007 R1200RT, which is much superior in performance, but I still wish BMW had put all the new tech into the fairing and style of the 2004 R1150RT.

The R1300RT to me is no improvement in style over the R1200RT and may even be worse.

The prettiest RT:

04-left-front-quarter.jpg

04 RT the best looking

I agree, the '04 is the best looking BMW ever.. the '07 (I own one) still is just a little fugly to me..

Ron

The R1150RTs were pretty (mine was an '02), but they were not the prettiest. That would have to be the K1100LT Special Edition I bought in '94.

Alas, I have no good pictures of it. This will have to do:

moto1.jpg

I think the R1200RT is way better looking than the previous RT's. They look like tanks to me and having ridden 1100's and 1150's, they ARE tanks compared to the 1200. But then,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Why don't they just put the new inline four in the thing and get it over with already...

It would have all the power you need, better ergos then the GT and great handling to boot...

I would buy it.

Why don't they just put the new inline four in the thing and get it over with already...

It would have all the power you need, better ergos then the GT and great handling to boot...

I would buy it.

But it wouldn't be a boxer now, would it? There's a certain enjoyment I get from surfing the gap between the torque curve and the hp peak from corner to corner that's just not possible with a four. The engine braking and the lazy way boxers make power keeps me coming back for more.

I would buy it.

I would not - if BMW dropped the boxer motor then I would buy another Guzzi Norge. The 1200RT is fine just the way it is.

I would not - if BMW dropped the boxer motor then I would buy another Guzzi Norge. The 1200RT is fine just the way it is.

LoneRanger,

I came this close to getting the Norge. I am one of the lucky ones and we have a Guzzi dealer about 10 miles from my home.

Never had a Guzzi but always liked the way they looked.

LoneRanger,

I came this close to getting the Norge. I am one of the lucky ones and we have a Guzzi dealer about 10 miles from my home.

Never had a Guzzi but always liked the way they looked.

I had an 08 Norge and just loved it. I was going to buy a 1200RT but happened to stop at a Guzzi dealer. If you test ride a Norge be sure and bring your check book with you. A 16 yr old girl made a left turn in front of me while she was text messaging and I broadsided her car and totaled the Norge. Decided to replace the Norge with the RT. I must admit that I miss the Norge. It was a beautiful bike and no other bike has that great Guzzi sound. Rose Farm Classics in Woodstock, IL is a great dealer and Jim is disappointed that I went with the BMW. You just never know, there might be another Guzzi in my future.

What's Next??

Another vote for the boxer - that's what an RT is.
I rejected the Concours, Yamaha 1300 and the K GT because both are too heavy and I don't want water cooling or 4 cylinders on a motorcycle. Simple, low end torque and as low weight as possible are the way to go.

There is "sufficient" power in the current model. I don't use revs over 5K much (How far behind do you need to leave those cars at the light anyway? Even with light throttle they disappear now) and don't get chances to cruise over 85 very often and over 100 virtually never. Big hp at a similar displacement means only 1 thing- higher rpm to make it because hp is a product of rpm. And more revs eat more fuel, given he fixed relationship of air to fuel. Only modest gains are going to come from cam and compression changes. I'd call the current slightly ginned boxer version with the alternate valves a moderate and acceptable change to the current model.

What no one has said yet in this thread is potential impact on cruise range. The current tank size and mileage are well chosen, IMO, and I would reject any substantial drop in range. I won't own a car with a easy cruise range under 320 miles. The RTs mpg and cruise range advantages over Japanese competitors are useful features.

Re design, a truism is that angular and wedge shapes are easily dated and typically age badly compared to the "rounder" forms. For example, the original Bonneville is instantly recognizable, still appreciated by most, and very close to the Bonneville sold now. Who can even remember what angular Japanese sport bike is which without the logos or characteristic brand colors? At least the fenders/exposed wheels on bikes make it difficult to get extremely wedge/angular in overall impression. The current RT looks OK to me, but takes a while to grow on you and I own one. I certainly didn't consider the appearance of the current model a big positive when I bought it. I thinks its pushing the limit on what ages well and it could turn out to look really ugly 15 yrs down the road. Because I keep machines a very long time, that matters to me. I'd like to see more classic design elements retained, not K'ed out. Many of BMWs past designs have not aged well IMO though some, as pointed out by others, have done very well indeed.

I doubt BMW is going to alienate the current RT crowd with changes knowing how loyal current owners are to the brand and type - that's no way to improve market share and I suspect BMW is too smart to follow the GM example. But it certainly would do all BMW riders good to see more young faces on BMW bikes to make our dealers and the company stronger. However, few young riders can pony $20K for a new RT and take a week or two for a touring run - too many job and family conflicts for many at that age or just too little cash available for most! So 3 cheers for the upcoming liter bike that is targeted directly at swiping customers from Japanese brands - I'm looking forward to seeing it and younger customers at my dealers place. Now if there was only something more price and performance competitive in the 600 cc class...Those price points and styles are what the young folks ride where I live and BMWs current models are priced at the very high end of those displacement categories with few obvious advantages to justify the price difference.

Too bad there's no obvious way to steal customers who are into V-Twin cruisers without cloning one...Putting straight pipes on an RT wouldn't quite do it. Even Harley can't seem to budge them - the only slightly variant V-Rod is shunned like a leper by many Harley owners.

looking to buy a R1200RT

Because I have not been on a bike for years i thought i should start with a R1200R instead of the R1200RT. :violin:violin:violinI've been riding for 2 years now. The R1200R is a great bike even for long distances. but now I'm ready for a RT. Should i get a 2009 or wait for the R1300RT in 2010? I NEED HELP DECIDING !!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Back