• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Owner

T

TESLAESQUE

Hi Everyone,
I just bought my first airhead! Sold the K100RS with hopes that my new R60/5 will be more reliable and fun to ride. I know the K bikes pretty well, but can someone either tell me, or perhaps link me, a list of things to check out on it before I actually write out the check? What should I look at to make sure I'm not getting the short end of the stick?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,
I just bought my first airhead! Sold the K100RS with hopes that my new R60/5 will be more reliable and fun to ride. I know the K bikes pretty well, but can someone either tell me, or perhaps link me, a list of things to check out on it before I actually write out the check? What should I look at to make sure I'm not getting the short end of the stick?

Thanks!

you are in a sharp learning curve!

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/index.htm

&

www.ibmwr.org tech section.

ya gots alota reading to do my brotha

congrats on the /5!

that, I already knew.
is there a consolidated FAQ for new airhead owners? All i know is that this thing is nothing like my k-bikes...beyond that, i'm in the dark.
as always, thanks.

Welcome!

There are some good airhead wrenches in your area. In my opinion (dubious value!) the following is the best method of evaluating a potential first-time airhead purchase.

1) Find the contact information for the Airmarshal in your state. Call him (or her) and let them know what you have in mind. Ask if he knows anyone in the town where you will be looking at the bike. Allow some time for this call. Airmarshals like to talk and want to tell you how great the Airheads group is and will need to send you a membership form. It is a helpful group and it is worth joining. He will then connect you with some people. http://www.airheads.org/component/option,com_contact/catid,80/Itemid,43/

2) Call the contacts he gives you. They may a little gruff at first, but by the time you have offered to buy them lunch and told them why you called they will be the friendliest people you have ever met.

3) Take them with you to look at the bike. They will likely know all about it. I don't mean about the model you are considering. I mean they will probably know that bike. Who the last three owners were, how well it runs, if it has been ridden regularly, when it was taken to tech days. If they don't know the bike, they will be able to evaluate it quickly. Then you can buy it at a fair price, provided the seller is reasonable. If the bike isn't a good deal they probably know of one that is fairly priced.

4) They will then introduce you to the other airheads in the area. They will help you learn you everything need to know. They will gladly pilfer their own spare parts stash on a day when you need it and probably never ask for anything in return. Don't believe everything you hear and never stop thinking through things yourself and you will learn very quickly. It is a sensible, simple, well-made machine.

5) Wonder why you didn't own an airhead sooner.:D

Thanks!
The motorcycletech.info page will make for lots of good reading in the next week, so that I'm not clueless when something goes wrong.

I'm a died-in-the-wool Airhead fan and love them, but I'd never claim them to be more reliable than a K-bike. Difference is, all the work you'll need to do is easy. Post-'81 with factory electronic ignition are the best in this regard.

inspection

An old bike should always be considered of questionable condition and looks can be deceiving.
The Service Schedule in the Rider's Manual provides a fairly comprehensive list of items for inspection to assess the bike's current state.
Here is that list:
. (change) engine oil
. (change) oil in gearbox, drive shaft housing, final drive and telescopic fork
. (lube) of swinging arm bearings and clutch cable joints
. (replace) air cleaner element
. (clean) carb float chambers
. (clean) petcocks
. (remove) front & rear wheel, check brake caliper, disk drum and pads or linings
as well as all operating parts (replacing damaged parts as necessary)
check bearing play (adjust if necessary) install front & rear wheel
. check free travel of rear drum brake (adjust if necessary)
. check free travel of clutch (adjust if necessary)
. (tighten cylinder head nuts. adjust valve clearances)
. (renew spark plugs)
. (control of ignition timing)
. check bearing play of steering stem and swinging arm (adjust if necessary)
. check brake fluid level. check hydraulic brake system for leaks (change brake fluid annually)
. check acid level of battery ((add distilled water if necessary)
. check battery poles (clean & lube if necessary)
. check tightening of bolts & nuts
engine, center stand to frame, side stand, spring strut mounting
rear frame to main frame,axle nut and clamping bolts, hose clamps on carbs,
and bellows of drive shaft
. (synchronize carbs and adjust cables)
. final inspection and check for road safety
condition of tires, wheels, tire pressure, lights, signals, indicator lamps
clutch, shifting, foot and hand operated brakes, steering, instruments

When i had my K-bike, i managed to find a video of a mechanic explaining how to do a service on the bike, and showed how to go about all of the procedures. Does anyone know if such a thing exists for airheads?

Finally got this thing, and rode it around a bit yesterday. Its slow, and clattery, and it doesn't like to stop very quickly...but its fun, and gets looks.

Just figured I'd post a picture.

Attachments

• IMG00069-20090709-1949.jpg
    IMG00069-20090709-1949.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 104
So is my K75. However, the K100RS-ABS had too many goo-gas, and just wasn't as good a bike. Either way, i'll have fun with this thing.

I'd really like to get rid of the vetter fairing on this thing...but the headlight has been removed from the bucket underneath. I'm pretty sure that the one in the fairing isn't going to work in the bucket, but not positive.

does anyone have any tips on where to pick up a headlight?

I'd really like to get rid of the vetter fairing on this thing...but the headlight has been removed from the bucket underneath. I'm pretty sure that the one in the fairing isn't going to work in the bucket, but not positive.

does anyone have any tips on where to pick up a headlight?

I would also lose that Fairing. there should be lots of info from others on this Forum as to how to put it back to stock. nice looking bike though, enjoy...:thumb

here it is with the fairing off. what a big difference in handling!

if anyone wants to trade that fairing for a headlight, i'd be thrilled to do it. also, if someone can point me toward a place to get a used one, that'd be cool!

Attachments

• IMG00072-20090711-1654.jpg
    IMG00072-20090711-1654.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 29
Back