• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Hi-Viz that bad?

Hey Grant and Nevada27
Not only to I agree with you, apparently so does the US military. I am stationed here in Germany (US Army) and it is a US Army in Europe requirement to wear Hi-Viz, I believe on most posts in the US it's the same.
Interesting. And I'm not surprised. What surprises me is that more American law enforcement authorities don't require Hi-Viz (not to mention ATGATT) on their motorcyclists' uniforms.

Interesting question vis a vie LEO

Good point. Although I can see a requirement that they should have ATGATT for LEO bikes, certainly something better than the standard patrol jacket and pants, High Vis could cause some problems in their non-traffic role.

If I'm backing up a patrol car I really don't want to be that much more of a target. :cry

Good point. Although I can see a requirement that they should have ATGATT for LEO bikes, certainly something better than the standard patrol jacket and pants, High Vis could cause some problems in their non-traffic role.

If I'm backing up a patrol car I really don't want to be that much more of a target. :cry

:thumb I agree more safety equipment is needed in most departments and for the life of me I really donÔÇÖt understand why they donÔÇÖt have more gear. Our Officers wear gloves, boots,most wear eye protection,open face helmets and other than a bullet proof vest thats it.( the vest by the way is not required)

I also agree that Hi Viz on a Police Officer off the bike is a bad thing and you never know when itÔÇÖs going to be a bad thing.

Just got back from a 150 mile country ride in the new Hi-Viz. I also had the modulator going. For the first time in my life (on a bike) I felt like people could easily see me. I felt more at ease (but never dropping my guard!) coming up on a country intersection with a car waiting. To me it seemed as if people in cars were looking at me more than usual, indicating that the Hi-Viz/modulator caught their eye. Or, maybe they just thought I was crazy for riding when it was 15 degrees! On my warm up stop I had one guy comment at how bright I was as I walked in to the McDonalds. Another guy stopped at my table and commented that he had never seen a helmet that color. He said he and his wife were due for new ones and that's the color he wanted. I told him that so far only Scorpion makes helmets in Hi-Viz, but I'm sure other manufacturers would soon follow to which he agreed. Chalk up 2 more Hi Viz helmets for Scorpion. And that was my first ride!

I wear a hi viz vest and white helmet. My kids tell me that I look like a geek. I hope that most people will look at me and think that there's a geek coming on a bike; better give him space.

Of course, the Hi Viz vest and additional driving lights did not attract enough attention last year from a mini van driver that pulled out from a stop and made a left turn immediately in front of me. (Maybe he was colour blind.) Fortunately, having read PM Dave each winter, I didn't really think, just reacted accordingly and avoided injury and damage.

I wear a Hi-Vis tourmaster Epic jacket. Whether people say "Look at that neat
jacket", or they say "How can someone wear such an ugly thing", the point is
that the jacket has done what it is intended to do.....get people to notice me.

I wear a Hi-Vis tourmaster Epic jacket. Whether people say "Look at that neat
jacket", or they say "How can someone wear such an ugly thing", the point is
that the jacket has done what it is intended to do.....get people to notice me.

...but do you hear them say that as they pull out in front of you? :hungover

I wear Hi Viz and white helmet. Probably would wear hi viz helmet if I had found one when I started riding. I have only been riding for two years. I do not have too many miles under my bike yet.

I have noticed several things by wearing my hi viz vest (which I got from a police and emt supplier.) A lot of drivers think I am an officer of the law. While waiting at an intersection or waiting to turn onto a road the on coming vehicle slows rapidly and then when I turn out behind them they go under the speed limit. It is even more of a riot when you turn the modulator on.

I have had drivers wait from great distances. So much so, I am waiting for them to wait to the last minute and pull out in front of me.

I tell my friends if drivers are thinking I am a newbie because I wear the hi viz, great...maybe they will stay away from me.

I went on a group ride last year and one of the hot shots in our group caught the edge of the road and wiped out. The group was no longer snickering at my vest when I was able to direct traffic and be seen and direct the ambulance to where the dude was down in a ditch.

Like I always said when I trained horses and would always wear a helmet when mounted..."I'd rather look stupid than BE stupid".

Just my nickles worth.

I wear my Hi-viz Darian everyday. Before that I was wearing a hi-viz vest for years & beleive it's effectivness. I've also always worn a solid white helmet. At gas stops recently people have been asking about the jacket, I explain to them why I wear it. Most don't seem to get it, though they are almost always non-riders anyway. If I had a penny for each time I'm asked by a girl behind the counter " do you work for the fire department?" After wasting my time explaining, then getting the "who farted look" , my standard reply is "why yes I do" and go about my merry way. :thumb

I've been researching gear for my upcoming travels. Of particular interest is the high visibilty gear. I was pegged by a car (cop car!) that didn't see me a while back and a neighbor just bought the farm when a lady backed out of her driveway in front of him. She didn't see him. I'm pretty comfortable with the idea Hi Viz clothing, but when I shopped around it seems that Hi Viz is like putting training wheels on your bike to many people. I'm not sure what kinds of riders these comments come from - Harley types? - Sport bike riders? - just don't know. So, how do BMW riders feel about Hi-Viz?

Btw - here's the helmet I just ordered -

I'm also getting a Yllw Mil-spec vest and I might even get some white and HI Viz yellow graphics put on my bike.

A big part of being safe is being seen. And that is not the responsibiity of other drivers - that's on your watch.

Light Colored Helmet
Kisan Headlight Modulator
PIAA Driving Lights
Hi-Viz Yellow Jacket
Reflective 3M Panels on rear / bottom of Side Cases
Hyper-Lite Brake Lights
Mostly Yellow Rain Gear
Additional Reflectors and Stickers

All tools in my 'toolbox of safety' when I ride.

Enjoy the Road! :thumb

Almost all of the members of my BMW club wear some type of hi-viz or reflective clothing. I've been thinking about it for a while, and after a couple of close calls, where I KNOW the driver just didn't see me, I've bought a hi-viz Scorpion helmet and an Olympia hi-vis jacket.

I'm hard-nosed enough to just not CARE what other riders think of me...

I ride for MY pleasure, not theirs....:dunno

Doesn't really matter what you wear.

They aren't looking anyway.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWNyh4Kp-bI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vWNyh4Kp-bI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The new toy I'm seeing more of is GPS in cars.
Seems that one in three drivers can't find their way home.

Reinforces my thoughts that motorcyclists are the most argument prone group alive.

We come from all walks of life. knary has a thread about this on advrider.

But, to the topic at hand;

The company my brother works for was going to throw this vest away. I think it had some dirt on it or something.

20091128003.jpg

Seems like with the vests discussed in this thread, the brand name justifies the price.

I'm an airhead through and through, and that saying applies; The cheapest thing on a BMW...

Last edited:
I've seen some highway worker type vests that combine hi-vis orange with hi-vis lime and reflective strips. Those really hurt your eyes.

Back