• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is Hi-Viz that bad?

I don't really care what you wear. If you want to look like a target, great. If you want to blend in with everyone else, great also. Wear what you are comfortable wearing. If it is fluorescent glow in the dark yellow, go for it. Whatever.

IMHO, Hi Viz clothing may be fine at the moment. As Hi Viz clothing is still somewhat uncommon for most motorcyclists, it brings the cagers attention to you. But what happens when everyone is wearing it? It all starts to blend together. Before you know it, the cagers will not even acknowledge that you are there. Then you will have to find something else to grab their attention.

Myself, I would rather ride like I am invisible to all. Expect the cagers to pull out in front of me. I believe that in some cases, Hi Viz clothing only makes you a target. Have you ever been out on the road and seen something that catches your eye, and for some strange reason when you look towards it, you also steer towards it? I have seen it happen too many times, and even done it myself. it is a natural reaction. So why become that target?

I also hate seeing people riding with driving lights or hi intensity lights in the day time or at night coming towards me. It dazzles the eyes of on coming traffic, cars and bikes alike. It is even worse in rain or fog. Also damn annoying to people they may be following.

I remember a while ago, some idiot on another brand of bike with exceptionally bright "auxiliary lights" was behind me for about 20 miles on a rural road at night. I pulled into a gas station and motioned for him to pull in behind me. When he pulled in, I asked him why he had his driving lights on while behind me. His answer was so people would see him. I told him that would be fine, but to learn how to adjust them or turn the damn things off when behind somebody. He was not to pleased with my comments and told me where to go. I said fine, have it your way. Told him to carry on and I would rather ride behind him. As he pulled out onto the road, I pulled out, and turned on my well focused driving lights. About 2 miles later, he pulled over and waved me by. As I slowly cruised by, he turned off his "auxiliary lights" and followed. Maybe he learned.

My point being, if you are going to have extra lights on your bike, adjust and use them properly. If you are following me and they dazzle my eyes, expect an adverse reaction. It does not take much to permanently turn a set of lights off.

Yes, I am a crotchety old fart and proud of it. I worked for over fifty years to develop this attitude, I earned it.

You are entitled to your own oppinion....and you may ride in places where everyone sees bikes all the time....I however, suffer from the competition for attention that exists her on the roads in SoCal....and for the most part....the last thing people are looking for is a MC and me in their way.....therefore, I try to make it simple for them to see me....and for the most part they do....it helps that I resemble an emergency person in my dress and lighting.....and the emergency folks applaud what I do....they know it helps them to not have to respond to accidents as often......and I do have my lights adjusted to minimize the affect....but not so much that they do not work.....when I neeed to see on a dark road....i turn on my 135 watt PIAA 910's and i can then see a long way.....

Hope to meet you one day.....and we most likely will agreed on the importance of safety for riders....i can just tell..

I think that sometimes as enthusiasts (of anything), we occasionally overthink things. In this case I'm trying to keep it simple and go with what works for me. I take notice of riders when they have Hi Viz and/or modulators. I have almost pulled out in front of motorcyclists who had none of the above and I've been hit by a car who didn't see me (no high viz or modulator). To me it's a no brainer. Hi Viz and modulators = More visibility = Being seen sooner and more often = Safer = Making it home to my family.

I think that sometimes as enthusiasts (of anything), we occasionally overthink things. In this case I'm trying to keep it simple and go with what works for me. I take notice of riders when they have Hi Viz and/or modulators. I have almost pulled out in front of motorcyclists who had none of the above and I've been hit by a car who didn't see me (no high viz or modulator). To me it's a no brainer. Hi Viz and modulators = More visibility = Being seen sooner and more often = Safer = Making it home to my family.

I can't believe threads like this get more than a handful of posts -- it really is a no-brainer. What's to discuss? Your post says it all.

ME too, I wear what I like, ride like I am invisible and run focused aux lighting and Hi-viz. You can't see a modulating headlight from behind the bike and some riders have been rear ended.

Yes... This is why they have modulating tail lamps... Reflective tape, rear view mirrors, Aux. LED lighting... Yadda Yadda Yadda...

We could argue this point all day as some drivers are color blind too...

Bottom line do what you want/feel good with. Just don't say my method is inferior to yours. Or call me or anyone an "idiot". (not that you did.) :brow

The Olympia vest showed up today. I like the quality. Much better than the usual construction gear. It's heavy (but not too) and well made. It has vents and reflective strips in the right places - up high. No goofy strings to cinch things up on the sides like so many out there. I'll report back after a ride but I would guess it won't flap around anymore than a textile motorcycle jacket.

I also received the modulator. It was super easy to intall. I opted to drill a hole in my bucket for the photocell, rather than thread it out the back and tie-wrap it to the bike somewhere. The end result looks fine. Fwiw - I think modulators need to be used with discretion. I personally would not use it while following someone on the interstate or even a highway.

amps

in my neighborhood saftey and high viz go hand in hand.through the magic of artfully concealed amplified speakers, their thunderous sounds can be heard miles in advance.no modulation,flashing lights or bizaar colors to blind you,day or night.fear not bluetooth,full headgear or profoundly deaf,the onset of these mighty sound projections,spewing forth vocal excrement can be felt throughout ones body cavities.alerting you and all before it to take notice.more choices in the ongoing pursuit of rider saftey.

Ultimately, wear what makes you feel comfortable. But herre's my $0.02...

However visible it may be, clothing color remains a passive safety measure which is why, to me, color is secondary to price, fit, and quality. That's why I've only bought motorcycle jackets off season when they're on sale. I wouldn't mind wearing Hi-Viz, but its not a big deal. Right now, both my summer and winter jackets are a shade of gray with reflective piping. Both were bought on sale, both are well made, and both have held up well after years of riding.

BTW, I've worn Hi-Viz, and I've noticed no difference in the behavior of other motorists or pedestrians to my riding regardless of what I wear. YMMV...

However visible it may be, clothing color remains a passive safety measure which is why, to me, color is secondary to price, fit, and quality...

Great. Where were you before I spent too much on that junky hi-viz helmet? :)

JK - I agree totally with you. But, the helmet showed up and it's very nice. Bright! In this case the hi-viz color issue clued me into looking at a helmet I normally wouldn't have. The 1st Scorpion I saw had graphics that looked more appropriate for a tatoo on the back of a gang member. I totally dismissed them as a brand I would consider until I read the reviews on WebbikeWorld. I went in and gave the Scorpions another look. They were with a lot of Shoei, Bell, Joe Rocket, Nolan, and Arai helmets. Nice selection! Turns out the Scorpion fit my head just right after saying "no" to the other helmets. Also, the Scorpion was about half of what I was expecting to spend but compares nicely with the more expensive lids. Not a bad bonus.

My wife and I have mused in the past as to why motorcyclists seem to favor "stealth black". Other than for vanity reasons (looks cool - I admit it), it seems counterintuitive. I wouldn't be surprised if someday Hi Viz isn't required by law. Not that I'm rallying for it. To each his own.

in my neighborhood saftey and high viz go hand in hand.through the magic of artfully concealed amplified speakers, their thunderous sounds can be heard miles in advance.no modulation,flashing lights or bizaar colors to blind you,day or night.fear not bluetooth,full headgear or profoundly deaf,the onset of these mighty sound projections,spewing forth vocal excrement can be felt throughout ones body cavities.alerting you and all before it to take notice.more choices in the ongoing pursuit of rider saftey.

:dunno

416312996_X753v-S.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if someday Hi Viz isn't required by law.
Interesting thought. If a legislature can pass a helmet law, they can certainly pass a Hi-Viz law.

Its happening with hunting. A number of states (Colorado, for one) now require that hunters wear blaze orange. As I understand it, the requirement is defined as a minimum amount of square inches. You can buy cheap blaze orange vests to go over your gear, or just buy all manner of blaze orange hats, jackets, etc... The laws have had the effect of making even hyper-traditionalist hunting gear manufacturers, like Filson, make blaze orange gear. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, nobody ever heard of blaze orange. Now, even in Texas where there is no blaze orange law, if you go to a deer camp with a dozen hunters you can bet that half of them will be wearing some blaze orange.

If the Texas legislature passed a law requiring Hi-Viz gear I wouldn't fight it. First, though, we'd have to get the police to wear something other than dark blue. Then good luck with convincing the Harley clubs to go along!

Its happening with hunting. A number of states (Colorado, for one) now require that hunters wear blaze orange. As I understand it, the requirement is defined as a minimum amount of square inches. You can buy cheap blaze orange vests to go over your gear, or just buy all manner of blaze orange hats, jackets, etc... The laws have had the effect of making even hyper-traditionalist hunting gear manufacturers, like Filson, make blaze orange gear. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, nobody ever heard of blaze orange. Now, even in Texas where there is no blaze orange law, if you go to a deer camp with a dozen hunters you can bet that half of them will be wearing some blaze orange.

I suppose even the most old-fashioned, macho redneck has to admit that there's something to the idea of decreasing one's chances of getting shot.

Interesting thought. If a legislature can pass a helmet law, they can certainly pass a Hi-Viz law.........Its happening with hunting.

It's those very two concepts that I based my reasoning on. I'm surprised there are actually states where blaze orange is not mandatory. Here in Wisconsin, the only holiday more celebrated than Christmas is Deer Hunting Season. Blaze orange has been a part of that for as long as I can remember. During DHS I won't hike or mountain bike without it.

I hadda dig for this image...

Man was I laughed at in 1978 for this combination.

I don't mean those stylin' handlebars either...

...But they saw me... Me and my BellStar "Punkin' Haid",
a screaming $80 in the Navy Commissary.

Attachments

• 1978_HiViz_LowRez.jpg
    1978_HiViz_LowRez.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 682
I do not wear high Viz clothing not because I dont think it would be helpful but because I just havent gotten around to ordering any. I do think it would make one easer to be seen most of the time. Case in point. A friend of mine opening day of Deer hunting season with full blaze orange coveralls and orange hat meets second hunter at area both had permission to hunt my friend told second guy his intentions to go across bean field to opposite ridge both agreed friend got half way across field when guy # 2 shot him in the upper leg. Thought he was a deer.so you cant let down any defenses because you think your more visible but we all know that.

I guess we all have to decide on our own if High Viz is right for each of us I ride with a friend who wears no safety apparel he probably thinks I am nut for wearing the stuff I do. DoesnÔÇÖt bother me a bit. I think he should wear a little more but heÔÇÖs a big boy and its still a free country so to each his own.

As luck would have it a survey crew came by yesterday with both orange and yellow high viz vests on I got a photo of two guys standing together one in orange and one in yellow which do you think stands out better. I am going with yellow or green or yellow green which ever it is.

Attachments

• rub and viz 006.jpg
    rub and viz 006.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 742
If a legislature can pass a helmet law, they can certainly pass a Hi-Viz law.

Hey Grant and Nevada27
Not only to I agree with you, apparently so does the US military. I am stationed here in Germany (US Army) and it is a US Army in Europe requirement to wear Hi-Viz, I believe on most posts in the US it's the same. ICON got on the band wagon quick with their "MILSPEC" vest http://www.rideicon.com/product_group.jsp?category=1662 , actually pretty popular with the serious riders. As messy as the weather can get over here, it's not such a bad idea either.

Raleigh

I wear hi vis stuff and do not ride with anyone who does not wear gear, helmets etc. I think it makes me look bad. i,ve lost a few riding buddies but most enjoy the places I take them so when they so up at my house they gear up. I don't see it as inflicting my will I see it as my responsibility to teach when ever and however possible. Even when other I don't know catch up to me or I come up on them I dispose of them so people don't think were riding together if they don't have at least a helmet. Ride safe always. I see it as bikers VS motorcyclist as per the article in the MOA a few months ago. I see myself as a motorcyclist

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

Hi Viz

I don't have Hi-Viz yet but next time I buy a Jacket it will be Hi-Viz. I ride with a guy that has it and I always know where he is in traffic. The first time we went to a Rally with him wearing it, (Sipipu) he had people coming up all day complementing him on it. Olympia AST.

My Hi-Vis Decision Confirmed

Just before making a quick trip from Northern MI to Murray, KY, I decided I needed some new riding gear, and after searching the MOA, ADV, IBMW sites, I found and purchased (at the enchouragement of my wife) a used Olympia AST Hi-Vis. I have had numerous jackets over my 40yrs of riding, including a red Aeostich outfit...........but until this trip, I never had anyone come up to me to tell me that they saw me LONG before I was near them. This happened not just this one time at my first rest stop, but at numerous other rest and gas stops. This change for me was striking and not one time have the comments been non--complementary from the cage or truck drivers who spoke to me. I actually believe they appreciated the fact they could easily see me, .......unlike before. I believe stealth has its place....but not on a motorcycle.

Ride safe! :usa

Back