• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Current Bulletins

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
I'm getting ready to put my R12RT in the shop for the 6k service. What are the key bulletins I should ask them about, for example the EWS antenna replacement and computer updates?

I was just on here frustrated looking for bulletin info and I thought I'd look at what this post has. I was just at the dealership today and they did some things to my computer to fix the knock sensor so I don't have to use 93 octane all the time if it's not available. They also told me the EWS ring is also something they will fix for free as well athough I need to go back for that. They also told me there are 3,500 EWS rings in stock at BMW so he said they must have a big problem with that one. If you have a zumo GPS unhook it from the bike as I did not and caused myself a whole lot of grief today with it not working. Tell the dealership that it sometimes spikes the GPS for some reason causing it to lock up and not power up. I have no idea why mine did what it did but I had to call Garmin support and they told me something so easy as to take the battery out of the unit and power it up, it worked and now I'm good to go but I was friggin' pissed thinking I had to go through the send it back and see if I got a good one thing. I just need to go for a ride I think and cool off.

'Issues' with the R1200RT's have included the following:

1) Final Drive (Gasket at end of transmission could be defective / leaking - has been redesigned).
2) Temp gauge not reading correctly; sensor may need repositioning (Service Bulletin for this does exist).
3) Fuel gauge not reading residual fuel accurately.
4) Disc brakes slightly warped - results in noticable vibration upon moderate braking (Service Bulletin for this does exist).
5) Oil level sensor float defective; replacement kit solves 'Low Oil' readings that are erroneous/excessive (Service Bulletin for this does exist).
6) Check for fork oil leaking from gasket around stanchion(s).
7) EWS antenna may be in need of replacement (particularly '07 & '08 models) - Service Bulletin for this does exist.
8) Software upgrades as dictated by BMW.

I know this laundry list of potential problems make the R1200RT sound like it was assembled by 3 guys from the Rally Beer Tent and a blind electrician, but these are just potential problems you should be alert for when going in for service.

I have found my bike to be reliable, fun to operate and would not hesitate to buy another one tomorrow if mine got totaled/stolen/vaporized by aliens, etc.

Last edited:
After putting some miles on my machine last night going to a sprint car race here in PA, I'm happy to report the knock sensor is repaired. I had this knocking like I was running cheap gas and now I filled with 91 octane and it runs great. I ran some really cool twistie back roads to bog it down and see how it would come up and it is just great. What I forward to anyone who thinks they have this problem is that it did repair what was thought to be a minor problem but made a substantial difference.

There was a number of other fixes included in that update including fuel gauge and usage computation . Wondered if you observed any improvement with anything else.

Back