• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vintage BMW single

J

James.A

I'm considering buying an R27. Anyone want to try to talk me out of it? Any and all opinions welcome.

Depends on the price and how much space you have... I'm crazy about the older bikes. I just wish I had the time/space/money for one! Then there is always the sidecar option with a nice older bike. Just a thought.

Cheers

RW

R27

Thanks for the reply! With regard to space; yeah, I'm gonna have to re-arrange my garage to make space, but I think I can do it.

With regard to price; These things seem to trade in the $3000 to $4000 range for a good condition, running example. While I'm not stinking rich, I can afford that.

With regard to sidecars; That is where I am ultimately going on this. I saw a guy using one at Davenport last year. My mind snapped and I decided I had to get one for myself. I'm thinking parade rig. I asked the owner if he would sell it. He said $9000 and it's yours. I reached for my wallet and before I could pull it out, (didn't have the cash but wanted to have a little fun) he said not for sale.

Restoring a R26

$3000 to $4000 for a R27 sounds like a good price, if the bike is in excellent shape. I am restoring a 1960 R26 and find parts are available, even from BMW. If you need some hints on finding parts contact me.

There are lots of sites to go to for info. Look at the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners links web page for lots of pointers. Lots of parts are readily available and BMW Mobile Tradition is having parts made to original (or better) specs and making them available through the dealer network. (They have a beautiful glossy brochure showing thrings like tanks and speedometers that can be bought new.)

Try to get as complete a bike as possible, and worry about the cosmetics afterwards. You'll pay a lot for the little bits that are missing, but most cosmetic work (besides painting and plating) just takes time.

I'll be the first to say it: Pictures, we're going to need to see the pictures! Congrats... I'm most jealous.

RW

single with sidecar

I love the vintage BMW single with sidecar. That along with a R69S and R90S have always been my dreams. Are those old BMW hacks actually made by BMW or is the sidecar made by someone else? I wonder how underpowered and underbraked a R27 feels with an occuppied hack!

MarkF

1965 BMW R27

O.K., here is the picture. Paid $3800. Spent another $3 to $4 hundred on the weekend road trip to pick it up(1500 miles round trip). First kick starter about half the time. Needs the tank and fenders re-done. Turn signals and switch are missing. Fun to ride? ..... Oh .....yeah.....
Gee whiz factor?,.... priceless.

Attachments

• mvc-001f.jpg
    mvc-001f.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 180
post script

As a follow-up, I have to say this bike is more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. I live in a town of 10,000 people and it's perfect in town. Light weight and nimble, and the soft ride is ideal. My R75/5's are most jealous since they now only get flogged on trips and the daily grind.

Back