• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Coating on new tires???

R

REBECCAV

{I thought that there was already a thread about this but looked for it and couldn't find it - if anyone knows where it is, please let me know.}

The issue is this: I need new tires on my '75 R90/6 and they need to be put on before the Track Day that I will be doing at Gingerman on May 8th. Yes, I'll be doing the track day on the /6 (unless lorazepam will switch bikes with me :evil). Hey - no snickering!

My mechanic says that I should put the tires on the day before I go so that I have the maximum new tread for the track. However, a friend says that new tires have a coating on them that will make them slick and potentially dangerous on the track. He says that they need a 'break-in' period or that I should go ride in some gravel for a while.

I have Metzlers on the bike now and plan to put another set of the same on. This will be my first set of new tires (ever!). Can anyone offer advice and/or tell me what their experience has been?

BG, Wesley's Bleache white will take the mold release off the tires and leave no residue. By the time you get to Michigan for the track day, and have a quick ride that evening, you should have the tires scuffed in well enough to use on the track. Just take the first few laps easy, follow me and wait to pass, till the tires feel good to you.

Check with the tire manufacturers website to see what breakin proceedure they recommend for the tire you want.

Buy newly manufactured tires, the tire maker will tell on his website how to read the build date for the tire.

Check for the correct tire compound for the surface you will be running. Tire profile is important, too.

You'll see all this later when you get into a good two wheel drift.

Ride safe. JON

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I very much appreciate the suggestions!

Yup, there is slime on the tires. I felt it during the ride/break in on mine during Branson.

If you have them put on in Beer City, they should be good to go by the time you get to Gingerman. It took mine about 100 to 150 miles to feel "comfortable"

Also take a look at http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2341 There are lots of salient points in there. The most important one, check the pressure often!

Given the fun we had last time trying to inflate your tires, you may want to pickup a foot pump or something.:p

> Can anyone offer advice and/or tell me what their experience has been?

1) Any Michelin tire will be head and shoulders above the Metzelers you're after, especially if you're considering track days.
2)SouthwestMotoTires, free shipping with a pair.
For your /6, I'd get the Mac50/50E combo. I think the Pilot Roads are stickier than you'll ever need on the /6.
3)If you can, try and put 50-100 miles on them before your track day. And not all at once. Heat cycles are just as important for new tire break in as scrubbing the mold release agent is.
4)Take it easy the first 10-15 laps with the new tires. Now matter how well you scrub them, chances are at a track day you're gonna be leaning over further than you ever do on the street. Remember the outer edges of your tires are NEW, until you ride on them.

Oh, and have fun. Looking forward to hearing your experiences. Caution: Track days are addictive!

Don't forget that tires need to be heated and cooled a couple times as part of the breakin period. I usually start them out slowly, gradually adding lean angle until they're fairly well scrubbed in. Then I'll park and let them cool for a while. Then I'll take them out for a ride down the highway at mumble miles an hour for a bit, to heat them thoroughly. Then it's time for coffee and letting them cool again. After going through that a couple times, they're ready for use.

Back