• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear drive compatibility

Mark Green
I have a question for you MOA smart guys.

Is the final drive from an 81 RT compatible with a 78 RS?

The attachments appear the same. Both are 32/11. The case on the 81 has fins while the 78 case does not.

Thanks,
Mark Green

Drive shaft side check;

The splines may well be the same, but a look see will confirm this on the drive shaft side of the differential. No other issue, except shock mount to rearend must match, also. '81 was the first year for single sided swingarms on the GS800, but did the other models get it later? I think so. You cannot use a rear from a single sided swingarm on the '78, without some huge mods to the '78's frame, I think. I have a '78 R100/7. Randy13233:usa

All the R100s as well as the R80RT remained twin shocked thru 1984. The G/S and ST models went single sided in 1981. Everything was single sided in 1985.

rear-end, final drive, differential, hinterradantrieb...

Is the final drive from an 81 RT compatible with a 78 RS?
The attachments appear the same. Both are 32/11. The case on the 81 has fins while the 78 case does not. Thanks, Mark Green
Mark, I can speak to the compatibility of drum style twin shock style final drives. I am running an 83 R100 final drive on my 78 R100S while I get its original (same ratio), 78 final drive re-sealed. I'm not a fan of rear disc brakes on these bikes so I canÔÇÖt speak to the interchangeability of the disc style final drives. I would have to assume they cross-fit and function simply because there are no other changes to the components that also interchange with the disc modles too like wheels, brake components, axles and so forth.

rear drive compatibility

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your resonse. I am going to purchase the later year rear drive for my 78 RS.

The starter quit working on a trip and I bump started it approx 5 times. That was curtains fro the original rear drive with 78k miles.

Mark Green

According to a BMW service bulletin, you'll have to use the brake shoes, cam and shaft O-rings from the later drive. So if they don't come with it, you'll have to buy them.

Exactly What Failed ?

Quote: "The starter quit working on a trip and I bump started it approx 5 times. That was curtains for the original rear drive with 78k miles."

Do you know exactly what failed? I'm curious about this because it doesn't seem to me that "bump starting" would be that much additional stress on the final drive and would cause it to fail. Does anyone who knows more have an opinion on this? I "bump started" a Volkswagen all one summer with no apparent consequences and drove the car for years after that.

Rear Drive Compatability

Assuming your bike still has a rear disc brake and that the '81 RDU is off an R100RT, you may have a problem with the cast-in "bumps" on the right side of the hub, and you may have to remove them. Or, you could buy a later rear wheel, too.

Disks! Right. I was thinking drums. Disks, you will have to machine off the bumps of the wheel. That was also on the service bulletin.

Quote: "The starter quit working on a trip and I bump started it approx 5 times. That was curtains for the original rear drive with 78k miles."

Do you know exactly what failed? I'm curious about this because it doesn't seem to me that "bump starting" would be that much additional stress on the final drive and would cause it to fail. Does anyone who knows more have an opinion on this? I "bump started" a Volkswagen all one summer with no apparent consequences and drove the car for years after that.

I am gonna guess that the final drive to wheel splines looked something like my 1980 R100 at 80k. From lack of maintenance or what (no history of PO) the splines looked like needle sharp triangles and I can thoroughly believe that if I had tried to bump start it they would have all sheared off.

---/\---/\---/\---/\---

rear drive compatibility

I bump started the bike and rode the 90 miles home. When I got home I noticed oil leaking out the top vent. I opened the drain plug and metal bits came out. I have not diassembled it.

When I asked the BMW shop about bump starting they said "it's not recommended."

Can you comment more on the fins. The fins from my recollection of the pics are on the shaft side of the drive. The BMW microfiche lists the same part number for both bikes for the final drive.

I appreciate the info!

Mark Green

Hey Mark if it's any help,give a hollar over to Jonny the owner of Mr Moto in Chicago at around 19th and Western Ave. 312-738-4269
The former owner Bob had ton's of used parts all over and some of the old "airhead"tech's still work there. He does a lot of BMW work.
They should pretty much be able to give you an answer.

And are you a member of the Chicago Region Club??
if not PM me and I'll hook you up with the club info.
Here's the web site for the club.
http://crbmw.com/

Back