• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

800gs

Guys: Thanks for all of your excellent input regarding my finding another dual sport by May and I will come up with something. I just wanted that new F800GS!!

gpodzo and Paul mentioning the Buell Ulysses will have me checking out when they will become available with the Rotax engine. Ulysses currently has the Sportster 1200 mill and I already have a "Milwaukee vibrator" motor in my garage ... .

This is the new 1125. It is not the Ulysses and it lacks the vibrator motor. It has a two cylinder ROTAX engine.
The 72 degree angle of the v-twin also helps reduce vibration, because it is closer to the perfectly balanced (in terms of primary vibrations) 90 degree layout. Since the engine is rigidly mounted as a stressed member of the chassis, Buell took the extra step of fitting three balance shafts -- two to reduce any remaining primary vibrations, and a third to balance the rocking motion generated by the v-twin power pulses.
It is available at a HD dealer today or at least the Buell dealers have them on the floor right now. Might be worth a look see. But it is a sport bike, unfortunately not a GS ride.

A review from Motorcycle Daily

Last edited:
Ach du Lieber.. F800GS!!!

Sehr Geerter Herr Beemerton ... Ich hoffe dass Sie dieses lesen k?Ânnen. Schlie?ƒlich sind Sie vielleicht zum Schluss gekommen, dass die Daten in der Tat wahr sind? Auch wenn es nur um eine Vermutung ist. So jetzt wird BMWAG moeglich sagen das BWNA alles missverstanden hat ueber die tats?ñchlichen Daten. Ich hoffe dass BMWMOA und BMWRA ueberzeuge BMWNA um das weitere zeigen dem F800GS auf der verbleibenden Motorrad Messe zum Wohle aller entt?ñuschte Amerikaner.:german :usa

Samedelivery slips as in the past.

The timing for the release of the latest bikes have had alot of glitches lately the K1200S was delayed several times and the F800S and ST dates were also pushed back. I would say take a hard look at the spec sheet and then wait till one has arrived before making final decission . I bought a F800ST to slot in with My K1200RS after waiting for a test ride and love the bike. Keep thinking that A GS of some type would be good for my fleet and the 800GS looks like it might be a good fit. But I will deffinitly wait to see one in person. Good luck waiting and they may not be here by October if things slip again.

Last edited:
I originally had thought about holding out for a F800GS when the 800's first came out last year. Rumour had it that the GS would be chain drive so I bought a F800ST last spring. It is quite simply the best motorcycle I have ever owned, realizing that what suits me won't suit everyone. Light and nimble for twisties and commuting, plenty of room and power for touring two up, smooth as silk engine, stunning gas mileage and low maintenance.

I have a dedicated dirt bike (Honda CRF230F with street light kit) but it isn't suitable for any distance on road. I have a vintage bike (1956 BMW R50) for casual riding, but I use it a lot and it is maintenance intensive. Solution: sell the pair and get a Triumph Scrambler. I'll be down to two bikes for the first time in 25 years, but I'll have an F800 and something for the dirt roads. Should be a 'does-all' pair.

I sat on the F800GS at the Seattle show and loved it. Probably will be the replacement for my F650 Dakar in a few years. Local NW Washington dealer last Saturday says he will have one on March 8th as a demo. Who knows?

For what's it is worth, the two F650 Dakars in my garage were ridden two-up around Patagonia and Tierra Del Fuego, stomping KLRs and DRs. The dakars and thier slightly shorter GS cousins are great long distance rides if the you need to venture off-pavement sometimes.

Guten Tag Motorradfahrer: I am with you regarding "Annahme" of BMW Motorrad und BMWNA

Gruss Gott Motorradfahrer! Wie gehts du? Ihr Deutsch ist vollkommen und ich denke, dass Sie in diesem Sein eine Annahme durch BMWNA Handler korrekt sind.

What Motorradfahrer and I are discussing auf Deutsch is "Annahme" which literally translates as assumption or acceptance in the English language.

When you'd speak to a Bavarian describing what you wanted to buy, or wanted to look for, or how you could get somewhere; a response is Annahme. Elsewhere in Germany vermutung or vermunftig lets a person "know that you know a fact".

What we believe is that BMW North America simply assumed or accepted, that with the inaguaration of the BMW Motorrad AG "Unstoppable 3.08.08" campaign, that they were being given carte blance to solicit contracts and accept deposits.

Motorradfahrer, and also stated by ultracyclist, makes a good point auf Deutsch regarding what a morale booster it would be if BMW makes good on getting at least one F800GS into the showroom of each North American dealer as a show of good faith to their NA customers and consumers. This'd certainly mend fences!!

32232 got me intrigued with his reference to the Triumph Scrambler and so I checked out its specs: surprisingly it has a wet weight similar to a BMW F800GS.

Paul, that 1125 Rotax twin cylinder does seem outstanding; it just has to get into the Ulysses for me to be interested in buying it. Otherwise I do like the Buell line

akcirque: Wow, that is an impressive recommendation! Two up riding around Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego is a spectacular endorsement. In regards to stomping KLR's, that doesn't take much; Ha, ha! As dependable as my KLR was, and it never failed me even one time, its measly 35 horsepower was a real joke!

Guys, what I'm looking for is a light bike that'll carry me from Puertecitos to Laguna Chapala alongside Mar de Cortes with a small amount of muss and fuss.

Those of you that have ridden Baja and have stopped for a Coca-Cola with Senor Coco of Coco's Corner will know what I am talking about. Mostly many kilometers of loose gravel, soft dirt and clinging sand that can easily be negotiated. But, like the rest of the Golfo de California routes there'll always be an occasionally nasty stretch, like Tres Hermanas hill near Isla El Muerto where you need Dakar abilities.

Here is a portion of a BMW PressClub release from BMW Germany that was posted today.

On 08 March celebrates BMW motorcycle to the official season start. On this day, the new twin-cylinder models BMW F 800 GS and BMW F 650 GS selling their debuts. The arrival of the new middle-class travel Enduro BMW F 800 GS, an all-rounder with excellent terrain-and long-haul characteristics, is eagerly awaited. The new F 650 GS, worthy successor of the popular single-entry-model, has now also advanced in its design and unique parallel twin.

Also from 08 March is the BMW HP2 the hearts of sports fans of all boxers beat. The framework of the long-distance race developed, real motorcycle racing technology on the road, and the first time over a dohc cylinder head.

In the second half of 2008, the new BMW sports G Enduro 450 X model round

It would seem that it is the G 450's release that is being delayed until September.

Today I learned that the new 800 GS is not coming to the states until maybe September 2008. WHY? weak dollar!!!!!!!!!:dunno

Probably because they're still trying to figure out the piston problems.

The last MOTORRAD issue had a 50,000 kilometer long term test of the F800 GS (thats 30,000 miles).

After the long term test, the engine/transmission were torn down for inspection. It did very well in all areas but one; the pistons were well beyond the extreme end of the service limit and extremely scored.

After the long term test, the engine/transmission were torn down for inspection. It did very well in all areas but one; the pistons were well beyond the extreme end of the service limit and extremely scored.

wow... very interesting. very un-rotax-like.

did they have any analysis as to why?

ian

wow... very interesting. very un-rotax-like.

did they have any analysis as to why?

ian

Ian, I just got the issue last night and other than the data sheet, I didn't have time to get into the article. I'm packing to head south...wanna meet me for a beer near Fort Myers?

This must be the first time I've seen piston measurements taken at that end of the scale...the very end.

Is this not the same engine as in the F800s and F800ST?

Exactly what went through my mind.

So the very first thing I did was go to the on-line microfiche catalog and see if all F800 pistons are the same. They are on the S and ST, but there is no on-line parts listing for the GS yet so I couldn't verify the part number for that model.

Anyway, I doubt it would have a shorter skirt or be any different from the S and ST pistons.

I doubt the testers didn't keep an eye on the oil level.

http://unstoppable.bmwmotorcyclesus.com/

One thing is for sure, when we are all at Gillette, Wyoming together this summer for the BMWMOA International Rally you will certainly be able to pick out and spot Beemerdon's bike parked at the CamPlex: It will be the KTM 690 Adventure with the Arizona license plate and the AZ Beemers license plate ring; and adorned with "Unstoppable 3.08.08" stickers on the panniers, tank, windshield and fender.

Hey you, you're going to Gillette?

I think you owe me an apology. Remember this post of yours, after I invited any AZBeemers to join me going there?

[quote author=BeemerDonS link=topic=609.msg2266#msg2266 date=1188729308]
Gillette, Wyoming in July? Puta la maji, that is going to be one hot, dry, dusty and windblown mutha out there! I wonder what the MOA has been smoking to put this rally in Gillette? Coming from Phoenix in July that is going to be just going from the frying pan into the fire! Plus, if there are any twisty mountain roads in Eastern Wyoming my motorcycle and I have never found it yet.

I usually attend all MOA International Rallies, but I think I will pass on this one; I would rather ride back to Vermont and Maine again! Wowser, with all of the places in North America to hold a rally; why on earth pick Gillette?
[/QUOTE]

Now, now my Jordan! I only said I was thinking about not going to Gillette, Wyoming!

Hi Tweety1, Good to hear from you! Have your shoulder & back problems healed themselves, and are you feeling better these days? I knew that you were hurting at New Year's when you couldn't go on the AZ Beemers Club ride to Winkelman.

"I think I will pass on this one;" meant that I'd think about it and I have thought!!

I am going to Gillette to have fun with these wonderful BMWMOA friends. I have had a ball at every single International MOA Rally that I've ever been to and I'll have a blast in Wyoming too. I still think the Rally Site Selection Committee was smoking some really muy bueno Oaxaca mota when they picked Gillette though!

I still think fondly of the Vermont rally with those incredibly sweet twisty NE roads!

Hey, what is your take on the piston wear in the F800 motors? I am good friends with Alex - Global Rider through our mutual interest in riding the Alps; actually, Alex GR had been my guru and mentor in providing me with inside Alps riding info!

I'm very interested in reading Alex's synopsis on the F800 piston wear. I'm also going to pick up a copy of that particular issue of MOTORRAD. I'll translate it from German if you wish, if you wanted to talk to David of BMW Scottsdale about this.

Hi Tweety1, Good to hear from you! Have your shoulder & back problems healed themselves, and are you feeling better these days? I knew that you were hurting at New Year's when you couldn't go on the AZ Beemers Club ride to Winkelman.

"I think I will pass on this one;" meant that I'd think about it and I have thought!!

I am going to Gillette to have fun with these wonderful BMWMOA friends. I have had a ball at every single International MOA Rally that I've ever been to and I'll have a blast in Wyoming too. I still think the Rally Site Selection Committee was smoking some really muy bueno Oaxaca mota when they picked Gillette though!

I still think fondly of the Vermont rally with those incredibly sweet twisty NE roads!

Hey, what is your take on the piston wear in the F800 motors? I am good friends with Alex - Global Rider through our mutual interest in riding the Alps; actually, Alex GR had been my guru and mentor in providing me with inside Alps riding info!

I'm very interested in reading Alex's synopsis on the F800 piston wear. I'm also going to pick up a copy of that particular issue of MOTORRAD. I'll translate it from German if you wish, if you wanted to talk to David of BMW Scottsdale about this.

Hello, Beemerdons! Great that you are going to Gillette! Maybe we can get a chain gang ride together to it?

With a well-traveled friend, I have made a MapSource route of a trip with as little of interstates as possible that is less than 1,200 miles. It traverses a several US parks.

There was an extremely detailed article on the F800 engine in the first Englsh version of BMW Motorcycle Magazine, and they detailed out how cast iron the engine is, so Alex's report would be very interesting. Please translate it from German so I can talk to David about it. I hope Alex agrees with BMW Motorcycle Magazine because while I have seen some complaints via the forums (though I have had few issues) piston issues was not one of them.

Keep the rubber-side down!

Thanks, and I hope to see you on the way to Gillette!

Exactly what went through my mind.

So the very first thing I did was go to the on-line microfiche catalog and see if all F800 pistons are the same. They are on the S and ST, but there is no on-line parts listing for the GS yet so I couldn't verify the part number for that model.

Anyway, I doubt it would have a shorter skirt or be any different from the S and ST pistons.

I doubt the testers didn't keep an eye on the oil level.

I recall reading the engine cylinder angle is different on the GS model. Might have been in the link on the home page. Wondering what internal parts were changed to accomodate that?

here is what I read from the specs :

The engine is the parallel twin from the F 800 S modified for the new usage, with its cylinders now only inclined 8.3 degrees forward

a little more:
Modified two-cylinder.
The parallel twin familiar from the F 800 S/ST models forms the basis for the GS drive. For the new usage, however, some aspects of the engine have been modified. In order to allow long spring travels with a wheel spacing that remains moderate, plus an ideal distribution of weight, the cylinders are
now only angled forward by 8.3 degrees instead of the 30 degrees with the F 800 S/ST. This solution has been made possible by a new design for
the lower engine housing section made from die-cast aluminum. It contains application points for the engine protection plate and provides the ideal working conditions for the semi-dry sump lubrication. In addition, the cylinder head has been reinforced in the area of the frame connection at the front
on the right. The GS engine has a modified clutch cover which creates more space in the footrest area and more room for a new oil dipstick and a changed clutch release shaft. Finally, the water pump housing and cooling hose connections have been adapted to the new position of the engine.
The side-effect of these modifications is that the engine is a kilogram lighter than the unit used in the S/ST model series.

Probably because they're still trying to figure out the piston problems.

The last MOTORRAD issue had a 50,000 kilometer long term test of the F800 GS (thats 30,000 miles).

Alex,
Not to put too fine a point on it, but that MOTORRAD long term test in issue 2008/ 2, is of an F800 S, not a GS:
http://www.motorradonline.de/archiv/motorraeder/dauertest-abschlussbilanz-bmw-f-800-s.272138.htm
(Run your own translator)
Of course, some of the same 'issues' may wind up on the GS motor. But I'd be real surprised if anyone other than Touratech's Herbert Schwarz has put 50K km on an 800 GS yet.

Court

Back