• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle lift

rkasal

Unavailable for comment
Hello,

What's a good motorcycle lift for home use? I'd need to raise about thirty inches and ideally, be able to remove the rear tire.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

There are lots of opinions on this one. You may want to do a search (http://forums.bmwmoa.org/search.php) or click the link in the bar above for motorcycle lifts to see a few of the threads that have talked about this in the past.

I know that I would like to have a Handy Lift, but it is expensive. I do have a small lift that raises my bike up 12 inches or so that I got as a gift and that works okay on the my motorcyles for tire changes.

129300560-M.jpg

Thanks

Well, I should have been more specific. I'm wanting a lift to restore a 50 year old bike. I'll do a search as you suggest.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

If it's a plunger frame or Earles fork bike, then this style of lift works pretty well. I have one and put some wooden blocks between the frame tubes and the lift base to give enough clearance for the headers.

Since I bought that lift, I was able to buy a used Handy Lift from a dealer that went out of business. This also gave me the excuse to buy an air compressor, which has been very useful.

The local independent shop has 3 of the Harbor Freight hydralic table lifts and seems pretty pleased with them in general, though he comments that the front tire vise is not very good.

I would say that the table lifts are more convenient for bikes that are in the "rolling chassis" state. If you're assembling a bike from scratch, the little hydralic jacks like Brad's are more convenient because they can hold the bike regardless of the state it's in. They are also very convenient to use when detailing a bike, especially if they have large wheels that allow rolling the whole thing into the driveway.

+1 on the Harbor lift on the cost/benefit scale. (I've worked on lots of lifts)
The clamp is only fair, as mentioned, but I have always used two straps attached to the bars or T-clamps for extra security on any table. I've found that clients like to see one being extra careful with their bike.
When building up a bike, I nail together a 2x6 rectangle with indents for the frame tubes to rest in. (some frames are slightly assymetrical so the indents may be notches if required to level up the frame) This lifts the frame off the work surface and helps prevent it from skating around on the table.
Place this box on the lift table and work in comfort.
Track HF sales flyers, they often have special pricing.

Motard

I'v got the Harbor Freight lift platform also. A great value for under $300, though like others say, the front tire clamp is less than adequate. Local HF has in on sale right now for $289. It has a removable panel for dropping the rear tire out. Here is a link to the HF web site:
http://tinyurl.com/bnek3

Thanks

Gentlemen, thank you one and all. Harbor Freight it is. The bike I mentioned is a 1957 Puch 250 (two piston single cylinder) with the rear draft carb and single tractor seat. Probably in over my head but at least the lift will make everything easier.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

You will wonder how you ever got along without it. You will thank us, and your knees and back will thank you.

+2 on the Harbor Freight lift! Did my first oil change and brake pad replacement last weekend and my back and knees thank me (even at my 38 years of age, getting off of the garage floor is a blessing). For routine work like oil changes, I just raise the lift but for more serious work, I'd suggest, as others have, to strap the bike down with the supplied eyelets on the surface of the lift.

I have yet to use the tire clamp. It pales in comparison to the Handy-Lifts, but what do you expect for less than $300?

The only downside? Fellow neighbors that ride who have been silent, now seem to be much more friendly :D

HF Lift here, too:)

Bought mine last year and what a bargain, I've found out:). It works swell and lifts my K1200LT without hassle. They apparently have one now with air over hydraulic function at a bit over 300$. Mine is the pump up yourself and is no issue for me. The local HF stores are selling these faster than they can inventory them in my CA town. Seems the local HD riders have found them also and are snapping them up fast as they hit the floor in the stores. I got lucky:). Randy13233:clap

Craftsman Motorcycle/ATV Lift

Craftsman Motorcycle Lift ... just picked one up yesterday afternoon at Sears for $60 plus tax out the door and it works great! Lifts up to 1500 lbs and locks at 12, 14 and 16+ inches ... perhaps not enough for you but if it is, what a deal! Comes with two ratcheting tie down straps, too ...

I like my Handy Air Lift. I like it a lot.

It did cost double what the Harbor Freight lift costs. The Handy is made in the USA. I don't know about the Harbor Freight lift - but I could guess.

My lift has seen a lots of ups and downs in the 7 or 8 years I've owned it - on our several bikes and others.

I suspect the Harbor Freight lift will get the job done, and several folks have said they are satisfied with theirs.

.................I do have a small lift that raises my bike up 12 inches or so that I got as a gift and that works okay on the my motorcyles for tire changes.......................

I've got one that looks a lot like that. Works great. Used it for oil changes on the Hondas, and changing the tires on the baby Ninja and the Rebels. However, we just sprang for one of the Kendons (Cruiser lift).

If you're assembling a bike from scratch, the little hydralic jacks like Brad's are more convenient because they can hold the bike regardless of the state it's in. They are also very convenient to use when detailing a bike, especially if they have large wheels that allow rolling the whole thing into the driveway.

I have one of those, works on bikes I used to have. On the K12RS, the pipes come out of the header and drop below lift points and on the R1150R, the CAT is too low and the part of the engine that comes down low enough is too narrow front to back. So it is currently useless.

the harbour freight is a good lift for the money, just had a fight with pep boys the lift pictured in the add or web is NOT the same as they are selling, not tire trap door and crappy imho, bolt some wood to the tire clamp on the hf lift it will work fine and be better on tires, rims,ect

Harbor Freight lift

Does anyone have any experience with the HF lift that is air/foot controlled? It is about $100 more and has a different tire clamp. I am thinking this is the lift for me... Have a HF just south of where I live and may take a trip down to look at it.

I'd like to wait until it goes on sale or there is a coupon. Anyone have experience with this model? Attaching picture.

Thanks

Attachments

• MotorCycleLift-94121.jpg
    MotorCycleLift-94121.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 416
Got mine from superlifts.com two years ago. With ATV wings, ramp, and front wheel clamp I paid about $450.

Back