• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

This is interesting

B

BUBBAZANETTI

So, i remembered something last night that i'd forgotten about from before the rally.

I had my valve covers off, doing the valves and i figured, "40,000 miles, i might as well do a rocker arm end-play check" i pulled up the ADV article and got to work. 3 gaps were perfect (all around .07mm) the exhaust rocker on the left cylinder was a wee bit tight (the .05mm gauge would squeez in, but just barely) so i figured i had the time, lets get this right. i pulled out the unused T45 socket from my tool chest and discovered ALL of the torx nuts on both heads were banged up to the point i couldn't insert the socket.

what could this possibly mean??

the bike had 3900 miles on it when i bought it in 05', what could someone have possibly done in that short an ownership period (miles, not years, avg to 650 miles/year) to have caused this?? my guess is someone loosened the assembly using a hex key that "kinda fit" thereby damaging the bolts. but why would they have done it???

what say ye???

? my guess is someone loosened the assembly using a hex key that "kinda fit" thereby damaging the bolts. but why would they have done it???

what say ye???

cuz they had the hex keys, but not the Torx bits. somewhere, somebody (either the PO, or more likely some dumb tech at the 600 mile retorque service.) screwed up.

cuz they had the hex keys, but not the Torx bits. somewhere, somebody (either the PO, or more likely some dumb tech at the 600 mile retorque service.) screwed up.

why would the 600 mile retorqe require touching any of the rocker arm mount bolts besides the one that is an actual head stud?

it's quite odd

Maybe the rocker arm endplay was out of spec at the 600 mile....it too should have been checked....

not according to the BMW factory service schedule i have

not trying to be a pain, i'm really just wondering why someone would play with these in such a rough manner so early on in the bike's life

not according to the BMW factory service schedule i have

not trying to be a pain, i'm really just wondering why someone would play with these in such a rough manner so early on in the bike's life

Because they want you to sell the bike.

:hide

Erin is reminding me that I've got a few too many projects going on right now. I'm working on her. There's a nice R100/7 available for kind of cheap nearby...

Why not? You've already completely rebuilt a K75S...... :laugh

i...discovered ALL of the torx nuts on both heads were banged up to the point i couldn't insert the socket.

what could this possibly mean??

I think it means that some hamfist used an SAE sized Allen instead of a metric wrench.

I found that metric Allen wrenches fit a Torx head in a pinch....

Sully

Back