• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Left myself a note, don't understand me.....

hillbillync

1994 R1100RS

I purchased this motorcycle and found out it had bent exhaust valves on the right side. I marked/wire tied the cam sprocket to the chains on both sides, pulled heads and had complete valve jobs done on both heads. I even made my self a note to signify that the left side valves were on "crossover". Some months have passed since the heads were pulled and rebuilt. This weekend I began installing the heads and attempting to set the valve clearance, I realize that I don't know where to start since the rockers were removed during the rebuild. I can't trust the old "one side has loose rockers and one side doesn't".... The kicker is I don't know why I wrote "crossover" down and went thru all my pages and videos I watched before starting the teardown and can't find that phrase again.

Assuming the cams wound up in the correct position after the tear down / rebuild since the sprocket was wire tied to the chain, how to I determine which side is on the compression TDC? Crossover doesn't sound like compression so if I noted the left was on "crossover" then should I assume the right side is on compression and start there?

I just want to get this old girl on the road again. She deserves better than collecting dust in my garage. That's what the treadmill is for...

On my Airhead, I usually put my thumb over the spark plug hole and as I turn the rear wheel (in 5th gear), I wait to feel compression on my thumb. That means that the intake valve has closed and that piston is rising on the compression stroke. Look for the TDC timing mark and that side should be at TDC on the compression stroke...the valve clearances would be set for that side. I think the Airhead and Oilhead are similar in that regard.

1994 R1100RS

I purchased this motorcycle and found out it had bent exhaust valves on the right side. I marked/wire tied the cam sprocket to the chains on both sides, pulled heads and had complete valve jobs done on both heads. I even made my self a note to signify that the left side valves were on "crossover". Some months have passed since the heads were pulled and rebuilt. This weekend I began installing the heads and attempting to set the valve clearance, I realize that I don't know where to start since the rockers were removed during the rebuild. I can't trust the old "one side has loose rockers and one side doesn't".... The kicker is I don't know why I wrote "crossover" down and went thru all my pages and videos I watched before starting the teardown and can't find that phrase again.

Assuming the cams wound up in the correct position after the tear down / rebuild since the sprocket was wire tied to the chain, how to I determine which side is on the compression TDC? Crossover doesn't sound like compression so if I noted the left was on "crossover" then should I assume the right side is on compression and start there?

I just want to get this old girl on the road again. She deserves better than collecting dust in my garage. That's what the treadmill is for...

MY R1200 manual says this about valve timing:
  • By turning the crankshaft pulley or by engaging the highest gear and turning the rear wheel, turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation until the piston of the cylinder in question is at firing TDC (TDC = top dead centre).
  • The inlet and exhaust valves in the cylinder concerned are closed; those of the other cylinder are at overlap.

Your "Crossover" sounds like BMW's "overlap". Left or right side really does not matter, the pistons move out together, both reach top center at the same time. If you are using a locking pin to hold the crank at TDC, it goes in the same hole for both sides.

Back