• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RS Taller Shield

radar41

Beemerphan
FYI:

After searching archives, polling this list and the ABC list about shields for the RS. The result is - I've spent a lot of time (and money) trying different shields on my RS. Most did a good job, ( I'm 6' 1" ). However, some of them just didn't look right. Clearview shields (at my request) custom made a shield 4" taller than stock. This shield throws the air to the top of my helmet. To my knowledge this is the first one of these he (John at Clearview) has made. In a phone conversation today, I asked if other Airheads (RS owners) wanted one would he be able to deliver. He assured me he could.

Any RS owners who want a shield that really works without looking odd. Give Clearview a call. Make sure to specify a 4" taller than stock. Tell him like the one he made for the guy in Louisiana.

Standard disclamer: I have no interest, stock, gain nothing, or really care if you purchase this shield!! Just making the information available to fellow Airheads. :brow

I'm interested. How much did it cost you?

I have thought about the slightly taller screne from Moto Bins I think it is only 2" and I hear it only moves the air up to the middle of your helmet. A friend of mine has one and I think it looks ok and he says it is an improvement over the stock which puts the air at your neck right up under your helmet.

Can you post a picture?

I would apreciate it!

Thanks,

Dan

RS taller shield

Dan;

Unfortunately I don't know what the cost is going to be, because it was a special order. I'm sure it will be competitive with others (for everyone else). Here is a side view of the shield with the Saeng edging. Put the edging on because it was on the +2. I don't know if removing it will make a difference. Suppose I could try and report back.

Attachments

• Clearview +4 with Saeng edging.jpg
    Clearview +4 with Saeng edging.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 159
Wow! That's nice looking. I like the rounder corners. I looked at the website and the stock screen is 15" and they offer a 18" and they are both $146. I guess if yours is 4" taller it's only an extra inch. So probably not too much more.

What did you mean by the +2?

Thanks again for the tip I hadn't heard of Clearview.

I have a ~3 in. taller Luftmeister screen on my RS ... solely so I can see the clock and voltmeter, as I'm 6'3."

Don't care a bit about wind on my helmet and it's no problem. I could live with fewer bugs on faceshield, however.

RS Taller Shield

Dan;

The + 2 (Clearview RS02) measures approx 17 1/2" in length, (bottom to top). The new (+4" ) is 19 1/4" in length. which throws the air to the top of my helmet. I should also have mentioned my bars are the stock units (barbacks would make a difference). Like Kent, I didn't like all the bugs (Louisiana remember) on the face shield. I tried the Parabellum shield and it did a very good job of deflecting the airflow, I just didn't like the look on the RS. As you can see from the photo this one doesn't change the "line" of the RS.

"radar"

This is a work in progress, and you "fans of stock" can have a good laugh at my expense.

I took a Hannigan windscreen I had lying around and trimmed it down.

It does not fit perfectly, but I can duck down to zero wind noise when I want to now.

I wonder if there is a place that could custom make a design like this that would fit the fairing better.

The reason it works is because it comes back to the rider before the lip goes up.

Attachments

• P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Here is a side view of the shield with the Saeng edging. Put the edging on because it was on the +2. I don't know if removing it will make a difference. Suppose I could try and report back.
That shield looks great. I am now Officially Tempted?®.

I would think that taking the edging off might improve things for you. It looks like the carryover slope of the shield would make the air go even higher (over your head - my old Honda cruiser had a tombstone shorty shield that did a great job of this) while the edging would produce some turbulence that will probably hit you right in the face.

Not to disparage good work, but I really dislike those Hannigan shields with the little tacked-on face shield. Partly because the last one I rode had the seam right at my eye level. Partly because I think they look dreadful. I am also unimpressed with the way the Parabellum shields fail to follow the elegant lines of the RS fairing.

I don't have the height challenges that most of you do (I'm 5'6") but I do want to find a higher windscreen since I have the unfortunate distinction of riding with the Loudest Helmet in the World. I mean, who makes a full face helmet that's louder when it's closed? :banghead Bell, that's who. :mad

Yeah, I know it's bugly, but I guess I have sensitive ears.

And, I plan to ride from Wisconsin to Colorado soon and I need to get things set up for me to be able to do that no matter what it looks like.

Plus, I can stick the stocker back on in about 10 minutes.

Edging Removed

I would think that taking the edging off might improve things for you. :banghead Bell, that's who. :mad

After the move to Colorado (retired and have time to play with it) I did take the edging off. The taller shield does seem to be smoother without the edging. I also installed the K75S bars which moved my riding position back and up slightly. The combo makes the RS more of a pleasure to ride long distances, now if the "hi-po's" would let us run road speeds the RS likes . . . . . . ;)

radar

Sorry; I didn't realize this was a thread dredged up from the dead. Or at least from before I was corresponding much here. I appreciate the update as well as the second tip for the K75S bars. I'm getting a little tired of having that long reach (for my 32" sleeve length - if that).

RS Thread

Sorry; I didn't realize this was a thread dredged up from the dead. Or at least from before I was corresponding much here. I appreciate the update as well as the second tip for the K75S bars. I'm getting a little tired of having that long reach (for my 32" sleeve length - if that).

A good RS thread is never too old!! Like the RS's they just keep running!!

radar

Hey CR, when I bought my bike it had a riser gizmo on the stock bars that worked pretty good.

I took it off, but you might like it.

The price is one 4pak of Guiness.

You can ride to Kenosha and pick it up!

Otherwise, the K bars should be a good way to go too.

My bike came with some aftermarket Bub brand mufflers - today I put new stock pipes on and this baby purrs like a kitten now.

I cannot imagine why anybody would want a loud BMW.

Plus, the mpg suffered as the idle screws had to be turned out with the Bubs.

...I really dislike those Hannigan shields with the little tacked-on face shield. ... who makes a full face helmet that's louder when it's closed? :banghead Bell, that's who. :mad

My helmet was really loud until I put the extra spoiler on my Hannigan. I not a big fan of the look, but I can't argue with the function. I get a gentle breeze on the face with the shield open and full wind on the top of the helmet to feed the vents. The ride is much quieter.

Odd Hannigan footnote: I was watching the Pixar flick "Ratatouille" with the family this weekend. Colette's motorcycle (which she often rides without a helmet, unfortunately) appears to have a Hannigan fairing. It gave us a bonus laugh. No spoiler.

Great design. It looks like it would clear the steering damper and provide full adjustability.

Did you fabricate this? Do you know if anyone sells them?

Back